Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I accept a part time camp host position in hopes of getting a full time one?
I have an opportunity to accept a campground host position. This goal is something I've been working toward for 2 years or so; however, it is very part time at only 15 hours/week at $10.20/hour. After taxes and 6 months worth of work, that is about $2900. Monthly that is about $483. That isn't taking out fuel and other expenses. Clearly, that is a very small amount of money. I could get by on that barely if I had no unforeseen expenses, but I want more. I don't think I am wanting too much, but am concerned my wants and needs may be off-putting to the employer.

What are my odds of the employer offering me a full time position after accepting the part time one? Another concern is if I don't accept the part time position, will the employer be less inclined to keep me in mind for a more full time position (30+ hours)? The position is through CLM Services at a campground in Colorado.

Another possibility: Would there be opportunities for me to supplement my income by working at another part time job while working the campground host position? That is a terribly vague question. I'm just talking this out.

I've turned down a dozen campground host positions because the stipends were too small ($100/month). I want to achieve my goal while being able to reasonably support myself financially.
“If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the human I am.” ―Charles Yu
Add Thank You Reply
Ask them about the supplemental, are you a good cook?

Food truck!

Population center nearby?

Unfortunately so many desperate people out there, you've picked a career where these outsourcing cowboys can just fleece people at will.

But you might get lucky, won't really know til you get there.
Add Thank You Reply
Did you ask them if there were full time positions? From my experience they are pretty accommodating if they can be. They just want to fill positions, so if they have a full time one they will also want to fill it, just don't expect them to change a sites hours, as from what i can tell the different sites are pretty much assigned certain hours based on past revenue or budget.

At my job if there was extra work to do like extra picnic tables that needed repaired or painted and the budget allowed the manager can allocate more hours but it isn't something you should expect. It also goes the other way too, if revenues are down and nothing to do they might give you less hours the following week.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to VanLifeCrisis for this post:
Canine (11-29-2017)
Impossible to know. Would be just speculation from here. What benefits are included, parking space, power, food, cable, internet?

However, my last 'real' job I had was supposed to last two weeks to help a contractor catch up on his schedule (new construction on local Navy Base). By showing a good work ethic and never missing a day (we were on 7/10s) I ended up being the last employee to be let go and then was the person called for warranty punch list/maintenance for the next year.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Canine (11-29-2017)
I want a remote campground and the one recommended to me is the part time one outside of Leadville. No charge to work in any of the campground host positions. There is water (maybe no water, but that's OK because I have a filter and can take from the nearby creek) and sewer, but no electric. There is a 40 hour one that is larger (107-camp sites compared to 12-camp sites for the part time one). The 40 hour one in Dillon is also water and sewer, but no electric. The part time one is 20 miles (with 7 miles of that being dirt) outside of Leadville of about 3000 people which is on a regular highway. The 40 hour one has a population of about 600, is next to a large, heavily frequented reservoir, and it is 40 miles closer to Denver and on an Interstate hwy the whole way, so while being a smaller town, it is surely less remote.

While both don't have electric, it seems to me that that the 40 hour one will be quite busy partly because of it's closer proximity to Denver (60 miles compared to 120 miles for the part time one). As you most of you know, the more amenities campgrounds have (electricity, paved parking pads, well-maintained roads, shorter distances to large towns, cell phone service, etc.) the more riff raff there will likely be. Not that full-amenity campgrounds are party central, but there is a difference compared to the remote ones. Where I live, as you are driving down any road for a camp site, the nearest ones have more and larger RVs, larger groups, etc. The farther out you go and the worse the roads get and the smaller the individual camp sites, the rigs and campers get smaller and the overall experience is quieter and more enjoyable- generally speaking. I don't want to frequently be policing groups of loud, messy, rowdy, drunk customers. I wouldn't mind the harder work of a 107-camp site a bit, but I want to enjoy my fellow campers, not police them.

I hope this information is helping.
“If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the human I am.” ―Charles Yu
Add Thank You Reply
After talking about this, I've noticed that some campground sites listed on CLM state that electricity is available when it appears to not be available. Even if a specific campground had electric, it seems to me the more remote and worse roads that there are, that should have more of an effect on the quality of the clientele. That would mean more campground options for me with more hours. Options that I may not have otherwise known about if I hadn't started this thread. Thanks for the insight and the visit so far!
Add Thank You Reply
Canine, Here's something to think about. If you take the position at the remote small campground you will only have to work 15 hours a week with a campsite in a Prime area to allow you to spend a good deal of time hiking and looking for deer and Elk antlers, which are valuable and easily sold in small mountain towns. I read a series of articles last year and the author did just that. In addition to his camp host pay he was bringing in as much as $300 to $400 a week.  You should do some research to see if there's a market near Leadville. Jeff
Add Thank You Reply
(11-27-2017, 09:14 PM)Canine Wrote: What are my odds of the employer offering me a full time position after accepting the part time one? 

To address your original question, it seems unlikely to me you could get a full time position at a 12 site campground if I'm reading your other posts correctly.  CLM is probably paid a certain amount based on number of campsites and then figures how many hours is needed to manage the campground.  Increasing the hours they pay a host would throw off their profit, right?  Going to the bigger campground sounds like the way to get more hours.
Add Thank You Reply
Remote campgrounds sometimes means if you do have a problem response times may be much longer, just something to think about.
Add Thank You Reply
I guess you have to decide on your priorities: money, or amenities and convenience.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full time health insurance options for 2018 C-Cat 20 1,150 11-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Hoot
  Anyone on SSI/SSD and full time vandwelling? Dwade81 14 1,619 11-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Last Post: urbanhermit70
  WordPress plugin tester to work with us full-time testing cyndi 0 479 03-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Last Post: cyndi