Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric heater on shore power
I'm up here in North KY for the winter doing the Amazon thing and it's cold and it's gonna get colder.  I'm on 120v shore power in a fairly poorly insulated bus.  Yeah I should have insulated better before it got cold but I didn't.  

I've currently got a cheap little$25 heater from Walmart but I obviously need an upgrade. Somebody suggested a quartz heater. I'm just looking for a suggestion.

I need a heater for about 1200 cubic feet. Preferably under$100 and available either on Amazon prime or from a major hardware chain store as I am working night shift and have limited available time to go to stores

Add Thank You Reply
Ceramic electric heaters are the most efficient. That’s what I use when I’m connected to SP. But, there are many poor ones out there, and I got two or three before I found one I was happy with.

My opinion is get the one with the largest heat face you can find. The little cube heaters are terrible. Also, make sure it has a multi speed fan and a thermostat.

If they let you in the store, plug it in and try it out. I got mine at Ace Hardware six or seven years ago. Electric heat is great, especially when you’re not paying for it!

Hope this helps.
Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI

"If you want all the comforts of home . . . stay home." Cutiepie Gray

P7: Proper Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Peterbilt Motorhome Construction Project Website here; check it out!
Add Thank You Reply
Watts is Watts when it comes to heat output by electric heaters. More Watts means more heat. There are of course differences in how you feel the heat. Convection, radiation, etc.. Quartz, ceramic, nichrome heating element, doesn't matter as far as BTU output.
Add Thank You Reply

All electric heaters that are say, 1500 watts, are about 5100 BTU. 

The actual formula is watts times 3.41 and you get the BTU output. 

Heating an element is the same amount of heat and efficiency for one brand and type as it is for another, assuming the same wattage. 

So if that heater you have is 1500 watts, and cost $25, and you go buy a heater that is also 1500 watts, but cost $99, you wont get any more heat no matter how pretty and convincing the package or description on a website makes it seem.

Of course, safety, and quality of the unit, is a different matter and I prefer the oil-filled radiant heaters, they cost a lot more, are safer and totally silent, but again, 1500 watts is 1500 watts. 

If the circuit will handle it, you might be able to run two heaters, maybe one on high at 1500 watts, and then one on a low setting at say, 750 watts. Just don't try this with a cheap extension cord. 

If you can, you might try hanging blankets or sheets, to create a smaller space to heat. Obviously, keep anything like that away from the heater.
About to be 'vanless' after FOUR years...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
highdesertranger (12-03-2017), MrAlvinDude (12-03-2017)
Some really good advice here. Thanks! Do you think any particular style ( convection, radiant, etc) is particularly well suited for small, somewhat drafty, poorly insulated spaces. Lol.
Add Thank You Reply
My preference is radiant heat down low because it feels great to have warm feet when it's cold. Sure and oil filled heater is safer but radiant just feels so good.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to hugemoth for this post:
shadowmoss (12-10-2017)
The oil-filled radiant heaters are safer, especially if you do something to limit the space that is heated first.

By hanging anything, you can create a smaller space that is heated - first - as the heat Will escape to the rest of the space, but you can get it to be a little warmer within the closed off space.

And how about trying to limit the draft a little?

Anything you use to cover the cracks, will help. The better it is covered, the better it will limit heat loss because of the draft.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrAlvinDude for this post:
Itripper (12-04-2017)
The small cube blower type get the space warmed up quickly.

Old (80's up to mid 90's "vintage") Pelonis Ceramic Disc Furnace Heater from eBay output more heat faster and better than any produced today, can get in auctions in great shape for $20-50. Bit noisy though.

Out of new type, Lasko is OK, more quiet, maybe $40 new.

Then you have the 4-panel catalytic furnace blower type, much bigger in size. You can see the radiant panels, sit in front get your hands warmed up like a little fire.

They are very efficient and quiet, but take a bit longer to actually get a space warmed up when you first come in.

I don't think brand matters much, looks like they all come out of the same factory in China, maybe $60-100.

Only once the space (and people) are warm will the oil-filled work to maintain, probably need to seal off a smaller space with blankets, nice and silent, good for overnight, more energy efficient and safer.

All the above are 1500W, and for that space when very cold may need at least two or three units.

Good sleeping bags, blast the first type in the morning may get away without the third type, and in a pinch two of the first type might cover everything for now.

Watch out for blowing circuit breakers.

Look to get the space well insulated at some point, will make a huge difference. Rigid XPS or polyiso, total 4" up top, 3" on the walls 2" for the floor.
Add Thank You Reply
This link discuses what danger there is in using electric heat on small wires. I like the photo of the strip outlet.
Add Thank You Reply
hang blankets on the walls like Texas said. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shore power air conditioners mayble 2 669 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Post: GrayWhale
  Small electric heater Goshawk 8 2,063 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Last Post: flying kurbmaster