Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric heater on shore power
(12-03-2017, 12:40 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: If you sit near a radiant space heater glowing orange, it will certainly feel warmer and heat you up 'better' than a radiant oil filled heater that is trying to heat an entire room before you can feel the warmth.

I think this is why so many people believe that candles and flower pots and such are "good" at warming their space: they can sit right next to it and warm their hands on it just like a campfire and feel all nice and toasty. But the brutal reality is that it is barely heating up the volume inside their vehicle at all, because it simply does not have the BTUs to do anything significant. So while it may FEEL all nice and warm from a few inches away, it is not actually heating anything.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Pure radiant heaters don't even try to heat the room's air, in many contexts just a big waste.

In Scandinavia countries big huge walls of ceramics burn a tiny fraction of the fuel, but directly heat the rooms objects and bodies, not actually raising the air temps unless you keep them going all day.

Sitting in front of a Wave-style catalytic heater with your feet on a hot water bottle is very fast, completely different from waiting for a forced air furnace to get the place warmed up.

There's a lot more to comfort than just BTUs.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 04:24 PM)John61CT Wrote: Pure radiant heaters don't even try to heat the room's air, in many contexts just a big waste.

In Scandinavia countries big huge walls of ceramics burn a tiny fraction of the fuel, but directly heat the rooms objects and bodies,  not actually raising the air temps unless you keep them going all day.

This reminds me of those large 'people heaters' (not people eaters!) at loading docks, and in warehouses in the transportation industry. They are also used in manufacturing plants, truck/trailer repair shops, and certainly other places, but that is where I am familiar with them.

These long gas-fired radiant heaters are usually suspended from the ceiling trusses, and during colder months, they are used to keep dock workers and truck drivers warm, but not trying to heat the air in the building. Sometimes they are even mounted outside, above the dock area, to keep people warm. You can actually, literally feel the heat on your upper body when you get close to one.

Here is a link to one of the manufacturers, along with a video if you care to watch it:

http://www.spaceray.com/industrial_infra...gKab_D_BwE
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Yes, sleek high-tech white-panel versions widely used in Korean homes, apparently super efficient.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 05:24 PM)John61CT Wrote: Yes, sleek high-tech white-panel versions widely used in Korean homes,  apparently super efficient.

Was that North or South Korea?

Huh
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 12:40 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: If you sit near a radiant space heater glowing orange, it will certainly feel warmer and heat you up 'better' than a radiant oil filled heater that is trying to heat an entire room before you can feel the warmth.

Like I said, its what you do with the heat after it is created that makes us feel the warmth differently. 

In the case of the OP's question we are trying to heat up a living space. So in that case, one 1500 watt heater will be about equal to any other, in terms of getting the most heat into the vehicle, assuming all the heaters we compare are the same wattage.

I'm arguing efficiency. Not that 1 watt from heater A is hotter than 1 watt from heater B.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 06:33 PM)GrayWhale Wrote: I'm arguing efficiency. Not that 1 watt from heater A is hotter than 1 watt from heater B.

I guess the failing is mine. I'm not arguing, rather, trying to help with the correct information.  

I've attempted to explain that for electric resistance heating, 1500 watts is always 1500 watts, and about 5100 btu.

Or are you talking about the efficiency of moving the heated air around? Or subjective warmth of the occupants?

Or efficiency of cost? A $20 heater vs a $150 heater?

Anyway, on shore power, the existing heater may not do the job for the OP, so we just need to concentrate on that.

I don't think we ever did get the wattage of the little heater the OP is using, it may only be a 500 watt heater, which surely can be replaced with a higher wattage heater.   

Possibly a supplemental propane heater would be usable and help on really cold nights....
Add Thank You Reply
Listen, if you sit next to a oil filled radiator running on high trying to heat a room up, you are going to cook. Once they are heated up you need to be at least a few feet away if not more.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
And if you get one of the 1500W blower cubes going, within a few minutes* there is no need to sit in any particular spot, and soon you can start removing layers as you go about your business.

*depends on the size of the space and how tight, insulation etc. And lots faster with an old Pelonis disc furnace than a new anything.

The ideal IMO is both that (first) and a nice quiet oil-filled unit (later, if you don't want to spend much now).

Once the space is warm, turn off the blower cube

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pelonis+disc

and let the oil unit maintain in silence.
Add Thank You Reply
I had a Pelonis disc in my bathroom for a long time. Great for on the john or under a desk but other than that the fan did not circulate enough air for it to be felt very far away. It made enough noise trying though and long lasting. Mine was made in 89 and used daily.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shore power air conditioners mayble 2 653 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Post: GrayWhale
  Small electric heater Goshawk 8 2,025 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Last Post: flying kurbmaster