Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric heater on shore power
They need cleaning, and eventually do wear out.

Out of the ~thirty I've bought over the years, 25 are fine in a drafty up to 1000 sq ft space down below freezing, a few are weaker and I've tossed two in the bin.

Two at a time to start, then one to maintain.

The oil filled ones I only used in smaller kids rooms overnight.
Add Thank You Reply
I love the oil filled ones because I have no fear of a fire or pets getting hurt by them.  The only drawback is it will take 15 min or so to warm the area.  They also do not seem to give me a sore throat like most of the other style heaters.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
Hello. Op, here. Just to clarify a few things. The heater I have is 1500 watts and I'm pretty sure it's just not a good heater. It's this one :. https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8d35c24...nBg=FFFFFF

It looks like they are still selling those pelonis disc heaters. Is there something about the older ones that's more desirable?

I'm not entirely sure why so much of the conversation is about speed of heating the room and turning the heater off at bed time. I'm on free shore power and I have a dog. I'm letting it run unless I get too hot! It kind makes sense tho, if the space is losing it's heat it has to be reheated so the slow units ( like oil-filled) are probably out. And honestly fan noise is of low concern to me.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-04-2017, 02:04 PM)the stinker Wrote: Hello. Op, here.  Just to clarify a few things. The heater I have is 1500 watts and I'm pretty sure it's just not a good heater. 

The conversation tried to cover the aspect of wattage vs heat output. 

The space heater you linked is not really a good heater for heating the bus, although it will warm you up sitting close to it.

Again, the problem with those is that they can catch things on fire, so not a good idea to leave running when a dog is there. 

If you have an un-attended pet in the vehicle, the best option, in my opinion, is an oil filled heater. 

Heavy, expensive, slow, but VERY safe. 

Since electricity is free, you can safely leave it on all day, and with a built-in thermostat, it will keep the temps up, as well as any other 1500 watt heater.

You will still need to insulate as best you can for the cold winter months coming up.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Itripper (12-05-2017)
(12-04-2017, 02:04 PM)the stinker Wrote: It looks like they are still selling those pelonis disc heaters. Is there something about the older ones that's more desirable?
And honestly fan noise is of low concern to me.
Yes as I said the old ones are much stronger. New ones Lasko is better.

But that fan or radiant type only when you're there.

Oil filled better if you're keeping it going 24x7, safer if you're not there, but make sure they really don't care,

Any electric heater would cost a lot doing that, someone gets the bill, what if it's more than your wages?
Add Thank You Reply
(12-04-2017, 06:42 PM)John61CT Wrote: Any electric heater would cost a lot doing that, someone gets the bill,  what if it's more than your wages?

Let's see, 1500 watts times say, 18 hours a day. Guestimate, average, full power, 3/4 of the day.

27 kwh a day. (1500 watts is 1.5 kwh, and 1.5 kwh times 18 hours is 27 kwh)

Times average residential rates, about 8c per kwh.

$2.16 a day.

About $65 a month. 

I hope the OP makes more than that.

And most setups like this, the facility is paying commercial electric rates which are MUCH cheaper than retail rates. 

Figure 1/4 of that. 

$16 a month.

Not much at all really.
Add Thank You Reply
Wow that's a cheap rate!

Figured more than one going, and he did say 24 hrs.

But fine, I was just saying to make sure they're OK with true unlimited, might be like cellphone data plans what they call "abusive usage".
Add Thank You Reply
Well I was averaging it and assuming there might be some warm sunny days, who knows. 

And yeah, if they meter every hookup and charge the person then it would add up.

I have no way of knowing for sure, where the OP is hooked up,  but most any facility that is providing free electric is paying a bulk commercial rate...and if it IS an Amazon location with hookups, trust me, they get a huge cut on electric rates per kwh. 

Fractions of a penny per kwh for large facilities.
Add Thank You Reply
From my experience last night....I have a 1500W ceramic forced air heater. It COULD NOT keep up with keeping the camper warm with temperatures getting into the low 40s. It ran all night and was only 60° inside when I got up. I had it set for 67°

My oil-filled Pelonis radiator could get my RV to 70° in a fw hours even when it was 32° inside and outside. Wish I'd kept one now.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
I haven't read the whole thread but where I live electric is unmetered and provided so in our 28'x8' motorhome we use 3 of the cheap ceramic heaters on low and a small humidifier. It gets well below freezing for a few weeks in winter. Also water is provided unmetered so left dripping water lines do not freeze as we use electric hot rod in the water heater and lines run with the cold water lines except the line to the toilet in the back wall, so we disconnected that line and use water in a cup from the sink. Makes up for the low pay and isolation. We get propane also but condensation is easier to control with electric.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shore power air conditioners mayble 2 655 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Post: GrayWhale
  Small electric heater Goshawk 8 2,027 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Last Post: flying kurbmaster