Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Cat Box Smell Down
This has probably been posted but just to refresh...how do you keep the cat box smell down?  I personally clean up after my cat every day on the road, and right after she goes #2.  But maybe someone has found a product that helps with the smell?  Sometimes if it's 3am and she goes #2, I just lie there and suffer instead of getting up out of my warm sleeping bag to clean it until the morning...but it kinda sucks lol.
Add Thank You Reply
Try the Arm and Hammer product made for cat litter boxes.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Papaj.1952 (12-18-2017), waverider1987 (12-03-2017)
I use Fresh Step, unscented. no problem with smell. Their dry food smells, litter box does not.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Weight for this post:
Itripper (12-04-2017), waverider1987 (12-03-2017)
Also, maybe you can figure out when is the best time for feeding her a heavy meal. A large meal in the morning might mean she will do her bidness in the early evening when you are still up. The rest of the day, smaller portions or maybe just snacks or dry food. We don't want to starve her, that's not my point. But maybe figuring out her schedule will help.

Or maybe the large meal in the late evening will mean she will more likely have to 'go' the next morning. 

Of course, cats are not machines, but they do process meals pretty fast. Plus, some foods will pass faster, or smell worse when eliminated. Milk, if it's part of her diet, will do this too. 

I had cats for decades. Now I'm figuring out a small dog. WHOLE NEW WORLD!

Tongue

Good luck with it.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Estelle (12-03-2017), waverider1987 (12-03-2017)
Arm and hammer make a litter that is lighter and odor control. I use it....It works.

Of course...clean it daily.....but, use one of those that list "odor control" on the box.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
waverider1987 (12-03-2017)
We use Worlds Best Litter in a tiny apartment with three cats. It's not clay, I think it is corn or wheat based, and it makes a world of difference compared to when we were using clay. It's also flushable and weighs much less. There are other varieties of clay-free litter. Might be worth researching.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Mei Jade for this post:
waverider1987 (12-03-2017)
I use the expensive clumping ones. Use a very large litter box and a lot of litter and scoop it twice a day. Arm and Hammer and Fresh Step both work well. The clumping ones take care of most odors. The cat box needs to be in a very well ventilated area to dry out easily. Stir the box up well after scooping it to help aerate it. I would not use the powder additive deodorizers as the fine dust really messes with the kitties lungs.

I travel with 2-4 cats (long story, too many but ya) and by using a very large well ventilated clumping litter the smell is very minimal/gone. I also locate the box under the vent fan and run it on low.

I have also used the blue silica stuff, MUCH easier to clean up after, decent odor control but urine will overpower it in a week.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Itripper for this post:
waverider1987 (12-04-2017)
I recently adopted two rescue kittens and tried a few different brands of litter before I landed on one - Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut Based Litter for Cats. It clumps really well and is easy to clean, plus it seems to control odor the best of all of the ones I tried.
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care,
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere! 
 ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
Add Thank You Reply
If I read your post correctly you want to do something about the odor from a fresh drop.   Unfortunately the only way to deal with that is changing what you are feeding them.  Commercial pet food especially if it's kibble will cause feces to smell.  Cats are obligate carnivores and anything other than a meat dominate diet will promote stool smell.  

When I was able to feed my cat a homemade raw diet there was no odor at all.  Since I'm out on the road I'm feeding a high quality cooked diet from cans.  I get a little odor from a freshy but it doesn't last long.
Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own.  ~ Bruce Lee

My new blog and discussion!  http://mebelikemeare.com
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 09:56 AM)waverider1987 Wrote: This has probably been posted but just to refresh...how do you keep the cat box smell down?  I personally clean up after my cat every day on the road, and right after she goes #2.  But maybe someone has found a product that helps with the smell?  Sometimes if it's 3am and she goes #2, I just lie there and suffer instead of getting up out of my warm sleeping bag to clean it until the morning...but it kinda sucks lol.

I like to use Tidy Cats clumping litter with Glade, has a very fresh scent. Used to use Fresh Step but doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. 

Sometimes one of mine doesn't cover his poop at night. I have a can of Febreze right next to my bed so a brief spray and the smell is covered Smile
Add Thank You Reply