Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs and cat
So, a long while back I posted a question in the GTG forum about what to do about loose dogs and protecting my kitten.    The only answer I got was to carry bear spray and spray loose dogs threatening my cat.

This is not something I ever want to do.   Being a animal lover, this would be very disturbing to me

So...I do carry bear spray whenever my kitten is outside, and she is out more and more as time goes by.

I thought that by putting it out there that I carry this spray and WILL use it, that dog owners would figure out to keep their dogs in check....on a leash for example.    You can be sure if it were me with the dog, and someone told me that, I would have no issue with keeping my dog in check!     

There are many dogs that are easy going....won't ever be an issue.   Many too old, many too uninterested in cats....those owners know they will not have an issue in any case.    BUt, many have energetic dogs that bound around from place to place.....

But, I find I am running into the attitude..."hurrupt!  Don't tell me what do to" when I ask dog owners to keep their dog away from my RV or keep them on a leash.

How do I impress these people....I am actually trying to NOT use spray on their dog?
where does the attitude come from...they seem to believe that they have the right to do exactly anything regardless of what harm that may cause?

Well....I was apparently mistaken.  Simply letting people know is not going to be enough to protect their dog.......And my cat.

Are there any practical ideas?   I never want to Be put in the position of having to pick between protecting my cat and hurting some dog!
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
This year dogs are required to be on a leash ... but there are these popup kitty domes that would allow your cats outside but in a contained area. My dog is blind or very nearly so I have a popup doggie play pen she can sit in while I'm outside and I purchased a stroller for her so I could get to the events easily. However, as with the dogs, you could harness your cats - I had a friend who trained her cat to the harness and it worked well.
Add Thank You Reply
Kat is not speaking to the RTR but being in a group out here in general. Unfortunately the answer may lie in being around people that share your point of view on many things like loose animals, generator run times, quiet/dark times, etc.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-03-2017, 10:35 AM)jimindenver Wrote: Kat is not speaking to the RTR but being in a group out here in general. Unfortunately the answer may lie in being around people that share your point of view on many things like loose animals, generator run times, quiet/dark times, etc.
Thanks Jim, I didn't realize it was in general as my mind is so on the RTR this year, forgive my commenting.
Add Thank You Reply
When my cat is outside she is on a leash. She wanders around, and I keep her fairly close to home. I do not let her wander just anywhere. I don't let her go visiting other camps unless she is welcomed.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
Draco_Arcane (12-03-2017)
(12-03-2017, 10:51 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: When my cat is outside she is on a leash.    She wanders around, and I keep her fairly close to home.  I do not let her wander just anywhere.    I don't let her go visiting other camps unless she is welcomed.
Sorry to offend, I wasn't sure as I've seen some who do let their cats wander ... didn't mean any disrespect.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to RV-Hopeful for this post:
dawnann7 (12-03-2017), Draco_Arcane (12-03-2017)