Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for Employers at the big tent?
I worked as a camphost and day use attendant last summer. It paid $10.55 per hour and I averaged about 35 hours per week for five months. I was in the Sequoia National Forest at 6500' altitude, so the summer heat wasn't bad. I liked almost everything about the job, except for some fellow employees who were lazy and didn't do their jobs. That made more work for me and disgruntled campers that I had to appease. The place was about an hour and half away from any town. So I would go down once every two weeks to do grocery shopping and catch up on phone calls. No running water, electricity, internet, cell service, TV reception up there. So I did solar showers, read books, did a lot of hiking, wrote blog posts, and chatted with campers. I didn't get bored. There was a couple places to get faint cell service, if you climbed up the mountains. I plan to go back and work there again next summer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I love a broad margin to my life- Henry David Thoreau
Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to Iggy for this post:
NumbZebra (01-09-2018), ~Wes (12-18-2017), mayble (12-07-2017), Estelle (12-06-2017), Mrcap (12-05-2017), waverider1987 (12-05-2017), bullfrog (12-05-2017)
If your looking at coolworks and want remote look at Aramark Dangling Rope at Lake Powell provides housing as you have to boat in.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
waverider1987 (12-05-2017)
I've always wanted to visit Oregon. I wonder if any parks from there will be at the event looking for hosts...
Add Thank You Reply
Aside from camp-hosting and Amazon(which doesn't interest me in the least), what other types of employers generally show up?
Add Thank You Reply
I remember in Bob's video the people from the sugar beet harvest were there...
Add Thank You Reply
"I've always wanted to visit Oregon. I wonder if any parks from there will be at the event looking for hosts..."

I don't know if they will be there but Highway West Vacations operates some campgrounds in national forests in Oregon.  Of course there are lots of BLM and USFS as well as Corps of Engineer campgrounds that offer camp hosting positions thought I don't think the feds offer any pay, just a campsite.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to dexstrom for this post:
waverider1987 (12-07-2017)
The beet harvest sounds interesting, I hope to get a chance to talk to them. If everything goes well, I hope to be there around the 8th or so.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-06-2017, 07:02 PM)waverider1987 Wrote: I've always wanted to visit Oregon.  I wonder if any parks from there will be at the event looking for hosts...
Cape Blanco State park. My favorite place in Oregon, and that is saying a lot! Last time I was there, I chatted with the docents for the Hughes House, that sits on Cape Blanco. They go back every year to work - not sure what company or concessionaire runs it- or if they get paid $ plus the campsite.  That whole part of the coast is so beautiful. The Hughes house sits on Sixes River, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/rogue-si...ecid=74300

http://www.capeblancoheritagesociety.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(12-06-2017, 07:45 PM)waverider1987 Wrote: I remember in Bob's video the people from the sugar beet harvest were there...

I think that beet harvest season is over for this season...
Add Thank You Reply
In one of Bob's videos he said that camp hosting is hard work. I'm not sure exactly what hard work he is referring to, as he did mention cleaning campsites, bathrooms, and sometimes taking money for sites. Maybe he just said it was hard work because the sound of being a remote host sounds like a holiday to some people and he wanted to make it clear that you will actually be working. I work at a campground now, it's not remote and i feel like i hardly do anything....and i do clean up campsites, bathrooms, take money, etc. So i just wonder for those who have had this job, what "work" was involved for you.
Add Thank You Reply