Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anti theft tire boots
Does anyone use those tire boots to lock your trailer when you set up camp and have to drive into town?  I've been checking into them and they range from cheap (easily defeated) to take out a loan if you want one.  I think I've made my mind up on the Brahma wheel lock and I'll probably need a loan to buy one but I believe it will be worth it.

http://brahmalock.com/
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
tav-2020 (12-04-2017)
I have drilled out locks in seconds. 

Those are to keep honest people honest. If someone wants to steal your trailer it is gone in 60 seconds. 

Get a dog.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
Cammalu (12-04-2017)
Out of all the ones of ive seen the Brahama lock looks to be one of the best, thats the brand I plan to eventually get. That along with the hitch lock. If anything it will make them decide if its worth the effort.
16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
Add Thank You Reply
dang where do you park. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Glad somebody asked this -- I had been wondering if people used hitch lock or other anti-theft devices.
I would probably forget to unlock tires and try and drive away so i think I will consider a hitch lock Smile
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
A battery powered cut off grinder could remove that lock in seconds. Still it would surely deter kids from steeling your trailer on a whim.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-04-2017, 06:59 AM)Motrukdriver Wrote: Does anyone use those tire boots to lock your trailer when you set up camp and have to drive into town? . . .

The best (and cheapest) solution is to remove a wheel off the trailer and take it (and the spare) with you.  That will defeat the thief of opportunity.  If a professional thief is after your trailer, only an armed guard will prevent it.
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Spaceman Spiff for this post:
bullfrog (12-05-2017), gsfish (12-04-2017), Cammalu (12-04-2017)
(12-04-2017, 10:59 AM)Spaceman Spiff Wrote: The best (and cheapest) solution is to remove a wheel off the trailer and take it (and the spare) with you.  That will defeat the thief of opportunity.  If a professional thief is after your trailer, only an armed guard will prevent it.

wow :-(    do you think there is much danger of theft with an old rig?  my trailer is an 88 15 ft and truck is a 98.
Add Thank You Reply
I'd prefer to pay the insurance company, let them worry about it.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-04-2017, 11:18 AM)hausmutti Wrote: wow :-(    do you think there is much danger of theft with an old rig?  my trailer is an 88 15 ft and truck is a 98.

No.  I doubt any of us have anything attractive enough to professionals to expend the effort and risk to steal.  We only have to worry about someone driving by, seeing an unattended trailer and decides to steal it.  Removing wheels is the cheapest and a thief would probably not be carrying wheels that fit your trailer.  Locks are easier and will deter most amateurs; most are smash and grab thieves, wanting to grab quickly and get out of there.

I should have mentioned that if you have a tandem axle you need to take of two wheels on one side off (or if you are anal, two on one side and one on the other side).

(12-04-2017, 12:44 PM)John61CT Wrote: I'd prefer to pay the insurance company,  let them worry about it.

That is fine if it is just a trailer, but if it is your home I would disagree.
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple anti-theft deterrents? ganchan 4 840 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Every Road Leads Home