Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel safer urban boondocking?
(12-06-2017, 10:34 PM)gallica Wrote: http://www.pbs.org/kued/nosafeplace/arti...tmare.html
"The ever-controversial Camilia Paglia says women are dreaming if they think anything will change. "Feminism keeps saying the sexes are the same. It keeps telling women they can do anything, go anywhere, say anything, wear anything. No, they can't. Women will always be in sexual danger," she writes in her book Sex, Art and American Culture.

Thanks for this article. Another quote that applies is: "We may be afraid of strangers, but it is the most intimate of strangers -- a husband, a lover, a friend -- who is most likely to hurt us. According to a U.S. Justice Department study, two-thirds of violent attacks against women are committed by someone the woman knows."
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care,
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere! 
 ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
Add Thank You Reply
(12-06-2017, 10:34 PM)gallica Wrote: I carefully read what you wrote, I think you are hearing what a million years of human evolution is telling you. Women are more vulnerable to sexual assault. It is always on our radar. It is not generally something that most guys worry about.  while statistically, you might be safer from assault  where there are fewer people, ie the boonies, it does not feel that way. 

Yep, you nailed it.  Being a solo FEMALE traveler, the thought of being completely out of range of any human help is hard to comprehend.  The thing about my situation is I have to be cautious of everything, at all times.  I feel like when I park in a hotel parking lot, I have the added security of help being just inside if I need it.  I have camped out in the boonies by myself and even when I do that I lock myself in the van.  I read about a woman who puts out big men's shoes and a spiked dog collar to make it seem like there's more than just her in the van.  Probably do something like that if I camped out alone in the desert or somewhere.  Either way, I always carry mace on me.  I have a police baton nearby too.  Getting a gun is definitly up there on my list of to-do's.
Add Thank You Reply