Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I missing the obvious - why not use vehicle's heater?
(12-05-2017, 07:29 PM)Deal Breaker Wrote: Police, fire, road department workers, long haul truckers spend large amounts of time in their vehicles during winter conditions using the vehicles onboard heating system.  I just spent an over night in Quartzite Monday after Thanksgiving, with temps in the 40's I opted to start my subie and use the heater from 2AM to 6AM . The fuel gauge moved about an 1/8 of a tank in that 4 hour period... Toasty!

However, those are well maintained vehicles. That's not the case with some of the old rigs nomads drive. They're more likely to have leaky exhausts, holes in floors, gaps in doors, etc.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
This is another thread I am done with reading. It is dangerous to run a vehicle for heat while parked. NLM
Add Thank You Reply
Hazard of carbon monoxide posioning from vehicle exhaust when vehicle is parked with engine running for an extended period of time. Methalhydrant candle/heater in a shielded metal container is an easy, safe and inexpensive option.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
Device also is an excellent stovetop type burner for cooking.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
"methyl hydrate" aka wood spirits, wood alcohol, methyl alcohol, or **methanol**

Sold as HEET, SLX is about 50/50 methanol/ethanol

OK outside, nasty toxic indoors

Put into ethanol specifically to poison it ("denatured")

90/10 ethanol/methanol maybe OK, maybe.
Add Thank You Reply
Let’s stay on topic.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
breeze (12-19-2017)
(12-05-2017, 05:01 PM)HoneyGayle Wrote: I've watched lots of videos and read lots of articles about the various ways to heat a van.  I have a Honda Odyssey, which has heating vents in the back area.  Assuming one is not concerned with stealth factor, is there a reason not to just use the vehicle's own heater instead of some other source of heat?  Is it a safety issue?  Fuel efficiency issue?  Do most vehicles used by nomads just not have the heater vents in the back so it doesn't apply?  I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Here's a thought for winter: if you're unable to drive to a warmer climate during winter, or at least the coldest part, why not just stay at a campground or somewhere you would have access to electricity to run an electric heater, OR, stay at night in a hotel, hostel, with a friend or relative, or room for rent? Once it's a livable temp again, go back to sleeping in your rig. Would seem safer than either freezing or risking CO exposure.
Add Thank You Reply
Up here in the frozen Canadian north (eh), campgrounds close for the winter - which is about 4-6 months of the year.  I'm sure the same is true of the more northern campgrounds in the US as well, as I'm farther south than many of the northwestern states.

I'm not saying that heating with the vehicle's engine while parked as standard procedure is a good idea.  But when you compare it against the price of even a nasty hotel, I'll bet you can stay warm in a car for much cheaper.

I still think there's some merit in collection and storage of the _waste_ heat while driving for a _useful_ purpose.  Jury's still out on the practicality though.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply