Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other dog owners
Argh!  I can't wait to get my van and get out of this apartment complex!  The rule is "dogs must be leashed", but of course the BIG dog owners ignore that and turn their BIG dogs loose.  They come running up and scare the daylights out of my two Yorkie mixes.  Maybe they just want to play, maybe they don't.  If a rhinoceros comes charging at you, are you going to automatically assume it just wants to play?  That's how my dogs feel.  

Have any of you had dog problems in campgrounds or on BLM or Nat'l Forest land?  Please tell me it's better than this!
Add Thank You Reply
It is mostly better. There is the occasional owner who lets their dog just run.
Most dog owners out here are polite and understand ... every so often you run into one who doesn't care about your space.

I was advised to carry bear spray to protect my kitten....I pass that advice to you...Carry bear spray if you have to protect the yorkies.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
Karla (12-07-2017), dawnann7 (12-06-2017)
Yeah this pisses me off too...I've had to scoop up my little dog numerous times when a much larger dog surprises us from behind when we are out walking. 

One of them was a pitbull with a menacing growl. Thankfully he left us alone after I picked up my dog and slowly walked away. That could have had a much different ending. 

Mine is almost always on a leash, and she is not aggressive at all. 

I carry a 'response' now, even when out walking the dog close by.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Karla (12-07-2017)
I disagree with the following but have talked to professional dog trainers who suggest carrying larger dog bone/treats and when a loose dog approaches you throw it as far away from you as you can in an opposite direction...will send the loose one off searching for the treat while you move on. I think it is meant for very tense situations, as in large dog standing ground and growling...maybe just a way to break that moment?

Seems to me it would encourage the loose dog to follow you.
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tav-2020 for this post:
Karla (12-07-2017)
(12-06-2017, 11:01 AM)tav-2020 Wrote: Seems to me it would encourage the loose dog to follow you.

Yep, and possibly encourage the dog to chase after others also, in search of food, and to EXPECT it.

A reward for bad behaviour.

Suppose the dog gets even more aggressive?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Karla (12-07-2017), RoamingKat (12-06-2017), tav-2020 (12-06-2017)
Many campgrounds off leash dogs are not tolerated at all. BLM and nat forest land is a whole different ball game in some cases because a lot of times there is no one there to enforce a leash. Though we have never experienced anyone with a loose dog, or for that matter anyone with a loose dog that would give us any reason to worry, doesn't mean it never happens.
16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
Add Thank You Reply
Absolutely have had off leash dogs come after me and my small leashed dog, in state and national campgrounds, RV parks, walking down a country road, RTR, you name it. I used to carry pepper spray. I switched to a flashlight with a built in taser. Just the click click electrical sound has scared off the offending dog. I like this option because if there is a fight, pepper spray is hard to aim and chances are my dog will be sprayed, too. The taser will disable the other dog only, isn't affected by wind, and probably won't kill the dog. And it just looks like a flashlight. I also carry this for personal protection. And it's a really great flashlight!

Yep, I have picked up my little dog many times when an unleashed dog approaches uninvited.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Stargazer for this post:
gallica (12-09-2017), dawnann7 (12-09-2017)
Even as someone who has their dogs off-leash most of the time this bothers me because I always have mine under complete and total control, and always step off trail with them and put them in a down-stay position. They are NEVER permitted to approach other people or dogs without permission.

Despite every precaution I take I have still had other people's unleashed dogs come running up to us...one even attacked my male BC when we were over 40ft off the trail. I have zero problems with well-trained and under-control off-leash dogs...but so many of them aren't.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to DuneElliot for this post:
Headache (12-11-2017), tav-2020 (12-09-2017)
(12-09-2017, 07:11 AM)Stargazer Wrote:  I switched to a flashlight with a built in taser. 

Taser? Civilian Tasers are VERY expensive. Although I see that Taser now has a consumer level stun-gun/flashlight. 

Do you mean stun gun? If it's clicking and sparking, its a stun gun. Which is probably useless against an aggressive pitbull. 

Yeah I have the same problem with other dogs harassing my little dog while she is on a leash and we are out walking.

My dog is very passive and only wants to be friends with other dogs...and never EVER runs after other people or animals while off-leash, which is only on my property, or immediate campsite. 

I've been carrying a small revolver after being harassed by a pitbull, I'd sure hate to use it, but if my dog or I get attacked, there will be a loud bang. 

And I will probably end up being the one in cuffs!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-06-2017, 10:50 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: I've had to scoop up my little dog numerous times when a much larger dog surprises us from behind when we are out walking. 
One of them was a pitbull with a menacing growl. Thankfully he left us alone after I picked up my dog and slowly walked away.

Texas, why not just pick up your long haired Chihuahua & tuck her under your baseball cap?
Of course, with a 'rug' like that, you'd run the risk of being mistaken for Trump heading for the golf course.

Tongue Charlotte
Add Thank You Reply