Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question on Water usage
Angel hair pasta cooks in about 2 minutes. Break it up and it wouldn't take much water at all.
“Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." -John Muir
Add Thank You Reply
Boil hotdogs. Then you have starchy hotdog flavored water you can make soup out of.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet.

Add Thank You Reply
Pebbles, Here is link i found online pertaining to starchy pasta water uses

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to AnnaP for this post:
Annie W (02-24-2018), Scout (12-23-2017), Pebbles (12-09-2017)
just make sure you wash your feet after you cook the pasta. LOL. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(12-08-2017, 08:44 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: just make sure you wash your feet after you cook the pasta. 

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Stranger, that's the best laugh I've had for days.  And to think
I always took you for the straight man.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Charlotte's Web for this post:
highdesertranger (12-08-2017)
(12-07-2017, 11:58 PM)FlowerGirl Wrote: Yes, it's considered a basic of Italian cooking to use at least 6 quarts of water for cooking pasta, even if it's for a small portion. 
Not too practical when boon docking, but each to his own.

Also consider the amount of fuel it takes to bring a gallon of water to boil versus, oh, a pint.
Someone wanted me to put this here:
Add Thank You Reply
(12-07-2017, 05:06 PM)Almost There Wrote: First off, a lot of water isn't needed to cook pasta.  I can cook enough for one in about 2 1/2" in the bottom of my 8" diameter pot so maybe 1/2 a quart. If it's spaghetti, break it up in maybe 3 sections so that it can all be sunk in the water.

The only time I'd ever come close to using a gallon of water to cook pasta in would be if I was cooking for 12 or more people and using my largest pot.

Same goes for potatoes if I'm boiling them, barely enough water to cover.

What I do with the left over water depends on where I am. If it's okay to drain outside then I do so, usually over the campfire ashes so that they filter the water as it's absorbed in to the soil. My sink is also connected to a 2 1/2 gallon portable 'gray tank' so I can opt to use that if I don't want to dump it outside.

I use so little water for cooking pasta or potatoes that the starch is fairly concentrated...not suitable for washing dishes in but then there's not much of it anyways.

Potato water, btw, is great for mixing in with the juices from a roast or chicken to make gravy with.

^^^ +10
I typically make flower pot bread with some of it. Make the dough, throw it in a greased flower pot, cover it for a bit with foil and place it in the camp fire coals. I did this with my two young kids when I took them camping. That is some serious comfort food for me.
Add Thank You Reply
If anyone makes lasagna, there's no need to boil the pasta first....just layer everything as usual and bake. The moisture from the meat and cheese softens the pasta!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-08-2017, 08:38 PM)AnnaP Wrote: Pebbles, Here is link i found online pertaining to starchy pasta water uses

#6 is good. I didnt know that. Use in your weed sprayer bottle to make a hot shower. Taking a bath in spaghetti water sounds weird but im willing to try it.
Add Thank You Reply
We switched to top Raman noodles out here. After a little trial and error we now have the precise water ratio (1.25C) to leave no water. If a tiny bit left it's consumed by whatever sauce is added. While not textbook cooking the sacrifice seems worthwhile for the benefits. Starch seems minimal.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to roadtrekker for this post:
frater secessus (12-25-2017)