Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rest areas
There are several states on this list that say overnight parking is not permitted.  Has anyone had trouble sleeping in their vans or rv's while traveling and overnighting in rest areas?  I went from IL to CA and back and slept in several rest areas and never had a problem.  

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/sta...d-laws.php
Add Thank You Reply
I think they probably put those signs up so that they can enforce it if needed. Like when someone moves in and starts setting up a little camp there. For the rest that get a little sleep while traveling I don't think they will ever have a problem.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to deadwood for this post:
hausmutti (12-08-2017)
I too have overnighted in places where it was supposed to be restricted, and never had a problem. I suspect it varies widely according to how much they really enforce it, where the rest stop is located, how much of a pest one is being, and the phases of the moon or something.

One would of course be taking a risk, but I have done it. Just for one night while going from place to place, though.

My preferred go-to spot for overnighting has always been Walmart or Cracker Barrel.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
^
It just seems strange that the states can be so different and I wonder why they want to make it so hard?  Wouldn't they rather have me sleeping at the rest area than driving on the interstate at night when I'm exhausted?   I stayed at a couple of amazing rest areas in TX.  There was a guy who watched monitors all night long and it was very safe there.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-08-2017, 12:19 PM)hausmutti Wrote: ^ I wonder why they want to make it so hard? 

They don't want their highway rest stops to become homeless camps.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
GrayWhale (12-19-2017), ArmorAbby (12-09-2017), deadwood (12-08-2017), hausmutti (12-08-2017)
(12-08-2017, 12:38 PM)lenny flank Wrote: They don't want their highway rest stops to become homeless camps.

I understand that, but how do the states that welcome overnighters manage to have nice, clean, secure rest areas.  Some of these states don't even allow truck drivers to overnight.  I can see where rest areas near large metro areas might have a problem, but even the homeless wouldn't want to hang out in Iowa LOL
Add Thank You Reply
Never had problem 1 last time a couple with a dog like deadheads were begging for gas money while eating potato chips and drinking cola. Really
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
hausmutti (12-08-2017)
(12-08-2017, 01:44 PM)wagoneer Wrote: Never had problem 1 last time a couple with a dog like deadheads were begging for gas money while eating potato chips and drinking cola. Really

Yeah, I've run into a couple of those on my trips.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-08-2017, 11:24 AM)deadwood Wrote: I think they probably put those signs up so that they can enforce it if needed. Like when someone moves in and starts setting up a little camp there. For the rest that get a little sleep while traveling I don't think they will ever have a problem.

Those signs are intimidating, though  LOL
Add Thank You Reply
Make attempts to be friendly with the custodian as they are usually alone and feel vulnerable like anyone else "a little love goes a long way"
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
dawnann7 (12-14-2017)