Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric ceramic heaters help
I had to heat a 150 sq foot partially insulated shed for my office. I used an oil-filled space heater and it worked great. Three settings, plus a thermostat.

If you put it under your window, it will work with convection to circulate the warm air, so no fan is needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DeLonghi-Saf...YgodEJMAGg
Sofie the Sprinter, 2002 low roof

www.sondrarose.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to SondraRose for this post:
RVTravel (01-01-2018), Kar74 (12-12-2017)
(12-10-2017, 12:56 PM)Kar74 Wrote: The caravan has a small breaker box under the sink.  a 15 amp and a 20 amp switch.  

This might be good information, as it might indicate that the extension cord leading to the caravan, might be a 30 or 50 amp cord. And thus the circuit breaker in the garage/barn might be more than the standard 15 amp socket.

Does the plug at the end of the extension cord look different in size than a typical standard 15A plug? 

(12-10-2017, 12:56 PM)Kar74 Wrote: The pets are spoiled and sleep with me at night, so we are up off the floor.  

I think. good for both them and you. You are most likely keeping each other warm and good. To sleep with ones pets when under cold conditions, can make all the difference in keeping warm at night. 

For the rest: It sounds like you are doing what can be done, to keep the heat in.  So keep doing that.

What happens if you turn the heaters higher than only on low? 
Will the circuit breaker in the garage get tripped then?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrAlvinDude for this post:
Kar74 (12-12-2017)
Hi Kar74 - just wanted to give you a recommendation on a ceramic heater.  This is one that I love and I have been using almost daily at home for over 5 years and it still works great.  I can't confirm whether it would work well in your situation - but I think it might be a good option. It is nice because it has a thermostat and it is a great warm heater that you can control the amount of heat -  from low to making an oven! The oscillation makes this perfect for distributing the heat and it is nice looking IMO.  Although there is a newer version of this that is more $$ because it has a remote control I don't have that one.  This is $45 on Amazon - 
https://smile.amazon.com/Lasko-6405-Desi...HA4RZACB1J
Hope this helps with your efforts to keep you and your dogs warm!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to GettinHitchy for this post:
Kar74 (12-12-2017)
(12-10-2017, 03:33 PM)MrAlvinDude Wrote: This might be good information, as it might indicate that the extension cord leading to the caravan, might be a 30 or 50 amp cord. And thus the circuit breaker in the garage/barn might be more than the standard 15 amp socket.

Does the plug at the end of the extension cord look different in size than a typical standard 15A plug? 

The plug is a three prong, I cant see a AMP rating on it. I do know its not very thick. I've used heavier ones foe yard tools.
The circuit is a 20 AMP in the main fuse box in the house. That's the one that will pop. Did it yesterday morning when I turned on the coffee pot and plugged in the Ipod to charge, while running the heater on high to get the chill off.
Part of me keeps coming back to propane options, but between no real finances and the fact I faint randomly, I can't justify it.
The electricity is training me. I unplug everything at night. Last night I didn't bother with the other small heater, because it was colder and I can hear the power fluctuate when the trough heater goes on. (the one heater runs slower when it has to share power)

I think. good for both them and you. You are most likely keeping each other warm and good. To sleep with ones pets when under cold conditions, can make all the difference in keeping warm at night. 

Yes, seems to work well enough. I do worry about my cats, if their ears get to cold. But so far they are fine. I do keep an eye on the thermostat. It is consistently about 55 overnight. The German Shepard is content to take plenty of room, and the little dog is under the blankets year round. Typical Mom worry wart stuff I guess.

For the rest: It sounds like you are doing what can be done, to keep the heat in.  So keep doing that.

What happens if you turn the heaters higher than only on low? 
Will the circuit breaker in the garage get tripped then?
If I use the heater on high, and try to use other things, such as other heater on low, my laptop, the LED light strip. Basically, I can operate 2 things if the heater is on high. Low draw things like the LED lights, and my laptop. This goes into the Trained part. I get the coffee started first thing, while the LED strip is on, and the heater on low. Once the coffee is done, I unplug the maker, and turn the heater to high. After I see the thermostat get up to at least 60. I turn it to low, and can plug in and power up the laptop.
I don't plug in anything I'm not using.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 10:51 AM)Kar74 Wrote: If I use the heater on high, and try to use other things, such as other heater on low, my laptop, the LED light strip.  Basically, I can operate 2 things if the heater is on high.  Low draw things like the LED lights, and my laptop. This goes into the Trained part.  I get the coffee started first thing, while the LED strip is on, and the heater on low.   Once the coffee is done, I unplug the maker, and turn the heater to high. After I see the thermostat get up to at least 60. I turn it to low, and can plug in and power up the laptop.  
 I don't plug in anything I'm not using.

Wow,  worst first quote attempt ever. 
   Sorry.
Add Thank You Reply
The only feature of an electric heater that affects the amount of heat the unit can generate is wattage. No matter how elaborate the cabinet that holds it, electric heating is the same. Buy the cheapest smallest one the has a fan and a thermostat. As noted by earlier posts, most are around 1500 Watts because that is a little less than a regular 15amp plain old plug circuit can handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Add Thank You Reply
(12-26-2017, 11:28 PM)Knit Wrote: The only feature of an electric heater that affects the amount of heat the unit can generate is wattage. No matter how elaborate the cabinet that holds it, electric heating is the same. 

Yeah good luck with this. I have posted the same information in several threads, and it never fails that someone will disagree.

It is FACT: Each watt dissipated in an electric resistance space heater generates about 3.41 BTU. (the BTU/hr part is always assumed).

So a 1500 watt heater has about 5100-5115 BTU/hr of heat generating capacity. 

Efficiency (or brand) has nothing to do with this conversion, but it comes down to the way we as humans perceive the heat, (radiant vs convective), quality and safety of the unit, and things like quiet fans, air movement, and thermostats that work correctly.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Ballenxj (12-27-2017)
Kar 74...

I have a brand new Mr. Buddy heater that I don't need and also a good ceramic heater that I don't need. If you can use either simply let me know and I will ship them to you at no cost.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Riverman for this post:
Ballenxj (12-27-2017), RVTravel (12-27-2017)
(12-27-2017, 08:04 AM)Riverman Wrote: Kar 74...

I have a brand new Mr. Buddy heater that I don't need and also a good ceramic heater that I don't need. If you can use either simply let me know and I will ship them to you at no cost.

That's a very generous offer. Those Buddy heaters work well.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any RELIABLE, low, light, Roof, electric AC's/heaters on the market breeze 27 761 12-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Last Post: John61CT
  Reminder: Electric heaters getting end-of-season discounts debit.servus 4 1,171 02-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Last Post: darude
  Candles and ceramic heaters Seraphim 17 3,236 12-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Spirituallifetime