Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As I fix yet another leak on my cheap american made trailer....GERMAN ENGINEERING.
A few years back, an old timer RVer told me that there are two types of travel trailers, those that leak, and those that are going to leak. Also said that no matter how much you spend on a fancy rig, they are all built like cr@p here in the USA.  I found this on youtube.  
https://youtu.be/HBDPRYjGZi4

Kudos to all of you that do your own, quality build outs.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gallica for this post:
rebar (12-09-2017), Minivanmotoman (12-08-2017)
I don't think it makes any difference where a camper/trailer/whatever is built. If it is designed to roll down the road eventually it will leak. Everything flexes. Rubber seals will wear out. Fiberglass will crack. Just a nature of the beast and the idea is to regularly keep an eye on everything and fix stuff as needed. Letting something go means rot or rust or oxidation or any of the nasty stuff that causes failure. Be kind to your rig.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
Everyone knows that you only find good information on YouTube. NOT!
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
But it is true that the Euro and Aussie markets spend **lots** of money on units that are very high-concept, well designed for both beauty and functionality, fuel-efficient, off-grid optimized.

I guess health insurance and quality education being a free benefit of citizenship leaves more disposable income.

Just their standard consumer protection laws require a higher level of build quality and longevity than 99% of what you find stateside.

I think another factor is that trailers and "RVing" is subject to a kind of elitist snobbery here much more so than there.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to John61CT for this post:
dawnann7 (12-11-2017), bullfrog (12-09-2017), rebar (12-09-2017)
It is sorta like the Snap-on tool box their salesman tried to sell me once. It was so big it had a steering system with hydrolic brakes and had a closet for work uniforms. It cost several thousand dollars. I asked him if I could order it with a shower as well. He looked at me puzzeled and asked "Why would you want a shower?" I told him if I paid that much for a tool box I'd have to live in it cause my wife would throw me out of the house!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to bullfrog for this post:
UptownSport (12-10-2017), tx2sturgis (12-09-2017), Ballenxj (12-09-2017)
while you all rave about these Euro RV's I am not convinced. how much longer will they really last when used full time? plastic windows? I would have those so scratched up after a couple of years you wouldn't be able to see out of them. I know I am going to catch flak for this but a VW chassis? really, please. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Ballenxj (12-13-2017), Van Man Dave (12-11-2017)
(12-09-2017, 03:41 PM)John61CT Wrote: But it is true that the Euro and Aussie markets spend **lots** of money on units that are very high-concept, well designed for both beauty and functionality, fuel-efficient, off-grid optimized.

I guess health insurance and quality education being a free benefit of citizenship leaves more disposable income.

Just their standard consumer protection laws require a higher level of build quality and longevity than 99% of what you find stateside.

I think another factor is that trailers and "RVing" is subject to a kind of elitist snobbery here much more so than there.

Free education and health insurance for citizens? Those are contradictions in terminology...
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
? What do you mean ?

Some more developed countries offer free university for citizens of any country.
Add Thank You Reply
What he means by that is 'free' isn't really free - it all comes with a price tag. In Canada, Great Britain and a host of other countries who offer 'free medical care' it means a much  higher tax base than in other countries with similar economies. It also means a much higher national debt load further contributing to the tax burden.

I can't speak for any other country but in Canada it also means that the government controls all aspects of health care including the distribution network which results in some wide disparities, not by who has money but by the location in which you live.

Since they also control the number of students being allowed to enter our public institutions of higher learning they also control the number of health care professionals available...AND where they can set up practice.

It ain't free by any means.

Y'all just don't want to get me started on health care in Canada. I have a very high horse..... Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Ballenxj (12-13-2017), highdesertranger (12-13-2017)
The only nations with worse records in these areas are third world (less / later economically developed) ones.

As the wealthiest country by far, the US can easily afford such basic human rights.

But a political derail, I'll stop.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
free2enjoy (12-13-2017)