Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
maximum solar power possible on chevy express cargo van
I called Nvidia and had them create a report on my needs to have Optimus support for desktop systems.  I still dont like the laptop thing because i cant upgrade it much when I want, or put on all passive cooling system(less fans-less things to fail).  

In the end though what probably will happen is I will have a laptop for non gaming and the special DC ATX PSU running a regular pc tower for gaming.  just just the tower when i game and the other laptop when i just surf or research or watch movies.
Add Thank You Reply
I have 520 watts on the roof of my 2008 Chevy Express Cargo. I think I could fit another 260watt panel up there.

--jg
-----------------------------------------
Blogging my build.  Stealth camper building my first van.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-14-2017, 02:53 PM)Joseph_Grey Wrote: I have 520 watts on the roof of my 2008 Chevy Express Cargo.  I think I could fit another 260watt panel up there.

--jg

cool!  I wouldnt mind seeing what it looks like (the roof from outside).  Is it ok then to install bigger than 100w panels on my van cause something about withstanding the wind and stuff they wont break compared to the bigger ones...?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to breaker1nine for this post:
frater secessus (12-15-2017)
(12-14-2017, 04:18 PM)breaker1nine Wrote: cool!  I wouldnt mind seeing what it looks like (the roof from outside).  Is it ok then to install bigger than 100w panels on my van cause something about withstanding the wind and stuff they wont break compared to the bigger ones...?

going to write about it in the blog in a few weeks.

--jg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-----------------------------------------
Blogging my build.  Stealth camper building my first van.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Joseph_Grey for this post:
breaker1nine (12-19-2017), frater secessus (12-19-2017)
These pictures help me visualize better bigger panels on top. I see you have the extended van. I want max solar and efficiency for my system. Im stuck on these Panasonic HIT solar panels. " Pack more power on your roof with Panasonic 96 cell Solar Panels , in the 300 Watt Solar Panel family. They have the same footprint as standard 60 cell modules, but over 25% more power!" Since I will be getting the regular van, I probably will not get more than 2 of these Panasonic Solar Panels to fit on the van. At the moment online they are 330w 32v for $361 each. 62.6 x 41.5 x 1.4in in size x2 im guessing. I dont even have the van yet nor have I even test drove any yet. It will take me about 1 year to save for a decent chevy express cargo van. I hope to buy a good one for around 8000. Here in Kansas its part of the rust belt. everything is rusty. so i have to buy newer the better and has to be close enough to me to go out there and test drive it before someone else buys it first and all that. Love the blog by the way Joseph Gray! You got it all decked out all nice and plush hah! sweet. I dont want to do all that and it will only be me. Ill poop in bucket. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(12-13-2017, 12:54 AM)scottorious Wrote: Quite possibly there is even another solution to charging. I don't know where the OP is located but with the use of http://www.plugshare.com (known to me for my electric car) you can set the filter for standard wall plugs and it will display the locations of mostly free outlets all over the U.S. If your electrical "tankage" can be made to last a few days then it could be refilled at some of these locations with an onboard charger. Possibly minimizing the need for a huge solar setup to only a small solar setup.

Sorry for being really ignorant, but can one charge their electrical system with shore power at these locations? What are they and how can it be free? That would be a lot better than being totally dependent on solar power.
Add Thank You Reply
Some may work, for a while.

Intended for electric powered vehicles.

Many consider it stealing.

May be illegal some jurisdictions.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
GeorgiePorgie (12-28-2017)
(12-27-2017, 09:04 PM)John61CT Wrote: Some may work,  for a while. Hi

Intended for electric powered vehicles.

Many consider it stealing.

May be illegal some jurisdictions.

Any way to find out more about this? It sounds like being able to use these to charge the van could be much more reliable than strictly using solar. I won't be able to afford paying for campgrounds to charge the batteries.
Add Thank You Reply
the best way is to ask the owner. most are set up to charge electric vehicles(EV) and have signs that say you can only use them or park there if you have an EV. on that website "plug share" in a lot of the pictures you can see the signs. to me, unless you ask for permission to use them in a manner they were not intended, it's stealing. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
we have some in my town and looks like hotels only, so you would have to pay 80 bucks a night for a recharge, no thanks, unless i misunderstand how plug share works. wasnt too clear how it works and how much it costs when I went to check it out in my city, which i fount lots of EV and only 2 AC which was hotels only.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  V6 or V8 in a full-size Chevy Express cargo van? BigT 31 4,449 05-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: cortttt