Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering an RV- need some suggestions/advice
(12-11-2017, 09:03 PM)ZoNiE Wrote: Well, there is that.

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for the responses everyone.

As pointed out, yes, I need something small and nimble to get around cities since I will be primarily stuck in towns/cities for work. Hopefully one day I can say to hell with this job and finally hit the road, but that probably wont be anytime soon. I like the idea of having extra space, but I think a class A diesel pusher would be too much space, and I probably wouldn't utilize all of it. Plus, I simply don't want to drive something that big. A BT Cruiser seems to be the perfect balance of size and space in my eyes and I'm pretty well settled on it, but thanks for the suggestion anyhow. I will be buying used, so price isn't such a big issue provided I can find something nice in my price range. As for a trailer, I'd rather not tow something. My van is only a GMC 1500 to begin with, and with all my crap inside, I am probably close to the weight limit anyway. Not to mention my towing hitch is already occupied by my cargo carrier that houses my generator.

I didn't consider the vehicle bays height at mechanic shops either, so thanks for pointing that out, definitely something to consider. I will continue looking in to this, but at the moment its looking pretty bleak. I may end up just being stuck with the van since I don't want to compromise on my solar. I'll see if I can find the actual roof dimensions of one of these to get a better idea.
Add Thank You Reply
Have you driven a BT Cruiser or other B+ much around the city?
"Nimble" is relative, of course.  As a daily driver, anything 12' tall and 8 1/2' wide will be quite a challenge.
I had a short Class C for a short time.  Sure it was "small enough to fit in a standard parking space", but getting to that parking space without clipping trees, awnings, signs, wires, mailboxes, roof overhangs, etc. was interesting.  A little too interesting for my idea of spontaneous travel.
If you want to test the idea, pick up a cheap, older motorhome and see how it works for you before investing in a nice, newer one.  It's easy to find one for around $5k and most people (other than me LOL) can get their money back when they sell it.
Add Thank You Reply
be happy they did not turn your rv into a "more streamlined version".

edt: posting did not include the quote. it was about a trip to costco.
Add Thank You Reply
The streets around here are not too cramped, and I already drive a large vehicle. I'm not too concerned with the drive-ability of a BT cruiser, at least where I'm going to be stuck. It will fit down streets here just fine.

To revisit the issue though, I am looking at one of these roof racks here:

http://vantech.us/H1-with-16-clearance-T...TOP-ST.htm

Seems to be the only sort of roof rack I can find that might potentially work. It says its a universal system that can be mounted to fiberglass. I'm not 100% sure, but I would think 16 inches would be plenty of clearance for the roof mounted AC. How tall IS a roof mounted AC on a BT Cruiser? They also make a version with a 9 inch clearance that may work? This is the same manufacturer of the ladder rack I'm currently using on my van, so I know the quality is good. Unfortunately, it seems the height is fixed on these mounts, as opposed to the one for my conversion van which was adjustable. From everything I can tell, a BT Cruiser is around 10'6' tall, and the 16' mount says the total height with its bars is 23 inches, so about 2 more feet. 12'6 is pretty tall, but I don't think it would be that bad. Still seems less than a semi truck or Class A. I'd still be able to get under all the underpasses here though lol.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Can something like this even be installed on an RV?
Add Thank You Reply
Full-time RV insurance will be more expensive, if you get regular vehicle insurance, be sure to read the exclusions, etc. Full-time RV insurance will give you some "protections" more in line with a house as far as something like liability which can be big. I would look carefully at what "contents" will be covered under regular vehicle insurance. If you are living in it and have a claim and the insurance company wanted to make an issue of it, that could be a problem. Like so many other things, it comes down to personal choice.

The BT Cruiser is very popular. Trail Lite did a very good job on their vehicles. Used prices can be high, watch out for scams in used. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Add Thank You Reply