Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responsible Canine Camping
(12-12-2017, 05:22 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: I happen to know where you can buy solar powered fence chargers that could be attached to the metal frame of a solar panel on the ground!

Big Grin

Ya know I had the same thought.  I just didnt know about the solar part.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 06:59 PM)geogentry Wrote: Ya know I had the same thought.  I just didnt know about the solar part.

Oh yeah.

Any farm and ranch, feed supply, Tractor Supply, and you can order them online. 

You don't need it for 25 miles of fencing, a small one rated for 1 or 2 miles would do it. 

Insulate the panels off the ground of course. 

Should not take long for 'trespassing' dogs to get the message.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
highdesertranger

Sorry from me also. I did not think this was about RTR either. (as the OP points out in a later post it is not) I saw it as a discussion about camping etiquette.

Quote: "and I have already received a request by someone to close their account over this thread"
Really? I don't understand - not at all.

Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 07:12 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: ...Should not take long for 'trespassing' dogs to get the message."

A word or two re solar powered electric fence wires:  In order to be
effective, animals must be 'taught' to respect the electrified wire.
I have used this system on my farm for years for sheep/horses. Untrained
dogs that charge or leap quickly thru the wire will receive little or no
shock, & may tear down the wire.

Sheep (& other farm animals, including horses) are *taught* to respect
the 'hot' wire by luring them to it with a morsel of food. Once an animal
has been shocked they usually respect the wire.  

Caution: a downed wire can be a fire hazard if it falls onto dry grass.
Not a likely scenario in the desert, but good to be aware of this.  After
years of using 'hot' wires I dropped the practice during the dry season
because of fire danger.

Smile  Charlotte
Add Thank You Reply
I think a large dog pissing on the electrified aluminum solar panel frame will teach it all the respect it needs to learn!

Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 08:03 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: I think a large dog pissing on the electrified aluminum solar panel frame will teach it all the respect it needs to learn!

Tongue

Texas, now all one must do is teach 'trespassing' dogs to piss on command.  Wink
BTW, enjoyed your (unsurprising?) reference to 'call girls' in above recent comment...

And I am supposed to imagine you blushing. Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
'Make some noise - yelling, whatever
Make some noise, flap the arms while yelling
[yes I know the noise would not work with your Lacy but the waving and flapping of the arms would - again dogs are not stupid and really don't like crazy looking humans]
Move slowly towards the dog making shooing motions '

Why should we have to do this? Don't care if dogs are off leash but if the owners can't control them with voice commands then leash the animal. If they don't like the rules then they can move on down the road a bit. BLM land is pretty big. Shouldn't be a problem.
Add Thank You Reply
you dont HAVE to do any of it.  Eventually someones dog is going to show up in your camp.  Some owners do not think this is a problem even if you do.  Will you then injure the dog to solve the problem?  And just how do you propose to get the owners to just move on down the road?  If your talking this taking place at the RTR then yes there are rules that are indeed enforceable.  There are sadly 50 other weeks of the year though.

Add Thank You Reply
Note to self: remember to only camp alone other than RTR.

Camping with me will be by individual invitation only and won’t be with the group at Ehrenberg. Apparently I’m not welcome there. 

That’s fine with me, the more alone time the better.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
pnolans (12-16-2017), La Tortuga (12-16-2017)
That's crazy talk....well, it's a BIG desert. Lots of room!

Cool
Add Thank You Reply