Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle GPS Navigation Units - which ones are best?
(12-12-2017, 10:25 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: "...You do need to have a LOT of bandwidth during a map update..."

Why bother?  Better to learn 'remote viewing'---no cost, never fails, just learn
the protocols.  Not kidding.  Technology is not your friend.  Never trust it.

Confused Charlotte
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 11:04 PM)Charlotte\s Web Wrote: Why bother?  Better to learn 'remote viewing'---no cost, never fails, just learn
the protocols.  Not kidding.  Technology is not your friend.  Never trust it.

Confused Charlotte

Yeah who needs computers and internet anyway....

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 11:27 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Yeah who needs computers and internet anyway....

Tongue

Here's looking at you, kid.
Meet me at the Deming Duck Races.
I'll be there.  Be there, be there or be square.
Cool Charlotte
Add Thank You Reply
(12-12-2017, 04:03 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: I don't consider a cell phone to be a good GPS.

It's probably important here to distinguish between:
  • gps - the part of a device that receives and interprets signals from the satellites; and
  • mapsets - map data which may or may not be updateable
  • navigation - software that use gps coordinates and mapsets to route you places

There is nothing about a cellphone that makes it a bad nav unit.  The ease of changing nav software and updating map data argues for the phone.  An old smartphone without any service works great with offline navigation (copilot, freeware osmand, etc) for a fraction of the price of a dedicated unit.

Note to onlookers:  you can shoehorn updated openstreetmap mapsets onto your Garmin device, if you no longer have free updates.

{edited to add: I have had great luck with refurbs over the years and buy them whenever possible.}
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
tav-2020 (12-13-2017)
I found phones to make sub par a GPS, unless they are connected to the network. I found them to be slow and inaccurate plus the battery life was not good. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
tav-2020 (12-13-2017)
I did find that you can input coordinates into google maps albeit the format has to be:
Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS): 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E.
Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM): 41 24.2028, 2 10.4418.
Decimal degrees (DD): 41.40338, 2.17403.

But yes, I can see that it will do you no good if you can't get a cell signal. Maybe I will give up my sirius satelite radio service in favor a a decent GPS. thanks.
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
Lady Garmin always tells me where to go, and has never steered me wrong. Smile

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
(12-13-2017, 09:55 AM)lenny flank Wrote: Lady Garmin always tells me where to go, and has never steered me wrong.   Smile

In that case, she likes to be called Lady Zharmine. (zhar-meen)...

Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
lenny flank (12-13-2017)
(12-13-2017, 03:31 AM)frater secessus Wrote: {edited to add:  I have had great luck with refurbs over the years and buy them whenever possible.}

With respect, refurb GPS units can be a problem, depending on who you buy it from, and whether it is a manufacturer or an authorized retailer refurb, or some third party 'refurbisher' selling them on ebay or even Amazon or Walmart. 

Other than a possible bad unit that was passed along as good, the main issue is the free lifetime map updates. 

Sometimes the unit will not be eligible for free updates. That's not what you want to see on your computer screen when trying to update one that is supposed to eligible.

There are a variety of reasons for this, but the take-away is that if the unit did not come thru 'official' sales channels and retains eligibility for free updates, it could be a problem.

Just something to be aware of.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
tav-2020 (12-13-2017)
I like the Garmin, mine shows what lanes I need to be in as i am coming up to off ramps. Very useful for major highway interchanges in cities especially when towing. The garmin will graphically show the highway you are on and have arrows for the lane you should be in.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16152]My Freedom-24' 4,000lb 1993 Lance 5th wheel w/1235 Watt Solar/LiFePo & 2003 4x4 Chevy Duramax

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Itripper for this post:
tav-2020 (12-14-2017)