Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle GPS Navigation Units - which ones are best?
(12-13-2017, 08:34 AM)tav-2020 Wrote: But yes, I can see that it will do you no good if you can't get a cell signal. 

Google maps will let you download mapsets to the device for offline routing:  [menu] | offline maps |select your own map

I just did the Quartzsite area, and it took 35MB of space on my sd card:

[Image: Screenshot_20171214-102348.png]

So one could grab the data at a free wifi point and google maps would use the data thereafter.
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
tav-2020 (12-14-2017)
(12-14-2017, 10:43 AM)frater secessus Wrote: I just did the Quartzsite area, and it took 35MB of space on my sd card:
Cool! Thanks -- have you used it for boon dock road finding? accurately?
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
I've got a Garmin 50LM and have had it for five years or so. I don't know if the manufacturer has made any big changes over the years.
It shows the track the vehicle is taken and after a while my travels around home show a muddle of paths. I can't save or delete individual tracks. To get rid of those I have to reset the device which means I lose all the tracks and addresses I've inputted.
1997 Class B Dodge van 3500.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-14-2017, 05:32 PM)bigsallysmom Wrote:  To get rid of those I have to reset the device which means I lose all the tracks and addresses I've inputted.

All you have to do is go into settings and turn off 'trip logging'. 

I have two of my Gamins handy, the menu looks different on each one but look in the settings for Map or Map Layers. 

Look for Trip Logging.

Then just click to turn it off.

Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
bigsallysmom (12-14-2017)
(12-14-2017, 12:05 PM)tav-2020 Wrote: Cool! Thanks -- have you used it for boon dock road finding? accurately?

No, but in general I mark places using lat/long or google maps (desktop), then let gmaps get me as close as possible.  Then start looking.  I do this with geocaches, too.
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
tav-2020 (12-15-2017)
(12-14-2017, 05:32 PM)bigsallysmom Wrote: I've got a Garmin 50LM
I can't save or delete individual tracks.  To get rid of those I have to reset the device which means I lose all the tracks and addresses I've inputted.

The 50lm will connect to a PC as a USB device;  you can browse, deleted, add stuff at will. 

There's also a garmin updater that will run and see if there are updates.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-14-2017, 06:20 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: All you have to do is go into settings and turn off 'trip logging'. 

I think that would turn off new tracks but not clear old ones.
Add Thank You Reply
Wow ... good stuff here.

I've traveled all over the US for work, and used nothing but my cell phone for getting me from the airport to the job site. Most of it has been big city travel, but a sizable portion took me into some really remote areas. My company phone's Verizon was hands down the best service, my personal Sprint device limping behind at a woefully inadequate distance.

I got where I needed to go every time. 100%.

The one shortfall was navigating in areas where there was no cell service. Totally hosed. I was always in a rush to get baggage, get my car, find the hotel and get to bed before 4am in the morning, so I always neglected to download a map of the area. DOH!

I'm really liking the $100 unit at Best Buy that someone up there posted. Now I can pass out whenever I want to, even at 4am, and still have map. I am a NoMad YesHappy camper! Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
(12-15-2017, 10:41 AM)frater secessus Wrote: I think that would turn off new tracks but not clear old ones.

Well, it does clear the 'tracks' off the screen....and stops further logging, (I think). Not sure but I can do some testing. I have a few million miles with these things, but never dug into that part much, I just always left it turned off. 

If a person was using one for driving, walking or hiking in unfamiliar areas, it could help them retrace a path back to a starting point. And no, these are not really designed for walking but they can be used that way for a little while, altho the battery life is very short when not plugged in.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
frater secessus (12-15-2017)