Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas One Butane Cans for $0.99
For those (like me) who love their butane stove, I bought a half dozen this morning at 99 Cents Only Store here in Cathedral City, CA.  

They may have them in other 99 only stores.

http://99only.com/stores/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to KathyC for this post:
Woost2 (12-18-2017), wistful vista (12-15-2017), RVTravel (12-14-2017), SondraRose (12-14-2017)
I usually pick up packs at Asian grocery stores, usually comes out around $1 each, sometimes $1.20.

If you go through a lot, cheaper to get an adapter lets you run off a 20# propane bottle.

But it's great to have a portable self-contained stove to toss into a bag.
Add Thank You Reply
Butane is not propane.
Add Thank You Reply
That is true. But besides temperature issues, I have yet to find a butane device that doesn't work just fine off propane.

Propane vaporizes down to -43°F.

Butane will not vaporize below 33°. So, below freezing a butane gas supply stops working.

But what the world calls LPG or camping gas is usually one or the other or mixed, and often the ratios vary depending on the season or location.

Propane dominates in the US, Canada and Australia.
Add Thank You Reply
I have a Coleman Butane camping stove. There is no adapter that will allow any propane feed to be attached. Other such stoves do not allow that. There is no threaded fitting on these stoves. There is one brand that has duel fuel capacity. There are the stoves that sit on top of a butane bottle, that is a different type bottle. Those have threads.
Duel fuel stove; https://www.amazon.com/GS-3900P-Portable...tove&psc=1
Canisters I use, bought at an Asian Store for about $1.; https://www.amazon.com/COLEMAN-CO-FUEL-9...tane+stove
Stove I use. I don't cook if my space is that cold.; https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-Bist...tane+stove
Add Thank You Reply
I didn't intent to raise the controversy of butane vs. propane or adapters or dual stoves and such. Just a quick post on a good deal that others might also appreciate.

Honestly, must every post be a battle? it's getting tiresome
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to KathyC for this post:
Vesper (12-25-2017), gypsyjoker (12-16-2017), SondraRose (12-16-2017), GypsyDogs (12-16-2017), gargoyle (12-15-2017)
(12-15-2017, 12:24 PM)Weight Wrote: I have a Coleman Butane camping stove. There is no adapter that will allow any propane feed to be attached. Other such stoves do not allow that. There is no threaded fitting on these stoves.
You can believe that if you like. But you're doing a disservice to the community by passing on misinformation, especially claiming to be certain about it.

Brand does not matter.

There may be many types of fuel bottles (tanks, cans, canisters) but for every single one there is an adapter setup allowing you to run them off 1# Coleman type propane bottles (1"-20) or 20# BBQ tanks (Type 1 QCC / Acme OPD , aka CGA 791).

The key to finding what you need is knowing the right terminology, good Google-foo, and persistance.

And note I'm not saying these adapters are readily available.

If you know someone that speaks Korean it gets much easier, they have incredibly high-quality gear over there, but of course not cheap.
Add Thank You Reply
I give up.
Add Thank You Reply
.99 is way cheaper than any price I've found in the Chicago metro area.  The best I've found is about $1.50 at my local Korean grocery store.  The highest was $3.29 at a sporting goods store.

I bought a Coleman stove for a recent extended car camping trip, and found it to be excellent.  Propane stoves have their place, for sure, but the simplicity, efficiency, stability and compactness of this little butane stove is a thing of beauty.
Add Thank You Reply
see here we go again. the OP, Kathy wanted to share a good deal on Butane canisters. and the thread broke down into propane vs butane. she never mentioned propane of asked which was better, cheaper, interchangeable, etc. so drop it. if you all want to discuss propane vs butane and adapting one to the other start your own thread. any more off topic posts will be deleted. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 10 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Vesper (12-25-2017), Ticklebellly (12-19-2017), bethiebugs (12-18-2017), gypsyjoker (12-16-2017), Nissi (12-16-2017), SondraRose (12-16-2017), Oberneldon (12-15-2017), Almost There (12-15-2017), wistful vista (12-15-2017), Trebor English (12-15-2017)