Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old School Land Rover Sighting
Saw this today, have no idea what era but this is about as basic as it gets. A diamond in the rough but that's the way I like it. The only things I might change would be mounting two spares on the brackets and adding a couple of those giant floodlights up front (and a drivers side windshield wiper blade). Note the double roof with the breezeway between. I guess that double roof and the vents under the windshield is the closest this has to AC. Also note the recessed door handles, harder to knock off in there.

This would look so awesome with a tent and camp fire next to it as in the movie "The Gods must Be Crazy".

Does Land Rover even make a basic back country vehicle anymore or are all their vehicles trying to outdo all the other luxury SUVs?

A flea market friend used to have two similar vehicles and would occasionally lease them to a film production.

I aspire to be the human version of this Rover. Basic functionality and nothing flashy. Ha!

Guy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Grizzly708 (01-11-2018), highdesertranger (12-15-2017)
that's so cool. it even has one of the double roofs, so cool. notice how the door handle are inset so they don't snag on brush. needs the spare back on the hood. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
That's what my dad sent me out to learn to drive in when I was 12. Up in the upland fields, wasn't going to hurt anyone but myself.

'51 I think, he then gave it to a grandson in the 90's, stupid kid just abandoned it somewhere in storage.

Aluminum chassis frame right?
Add Thank You Reply
They made that model with a diesel and it was an overland 4 wheeling beast!
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
Remember this story.....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/07...stigation/
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
I wish they would just call it "customs" or "immigration" etc.

Makes everything seem to revolve around national security against terrorism.

Completely intentional of course
Add Thank You Reply
The Defender assembly line was closing down in 2015, my old school friend (a Land Rover Nut) did the tour at that time. 261 people hand assembled each one, the aluminum machine pressed panels were test fitted and hand refined to fit. After a very close inspection they would then test each one on there torcherous test track.
Now new models are mostly done by robots.

MM
2015 Transit T350 148''wb LR 3.7 gas.

320 watts solar, 200 ah house battery

Longview Texas
Add Thank You Reply
(12-14-2017, 08:46 PM)gsfish Wrote: Saw this today, have no idea what era but this is about as basic as it gets. A diamond in the rough but that's the way I like it. The only things I might change would be mounting two spares on the brackets and adding a couple of those giant floodlights up front (and a drivers side windshield wiper blade). Note the double roof with the breezeway between. I guess that double roof and the vents under the windshield is the closest this has to AC. Also note the recessed door handles, harder to knock off in there.

This would look so awesome with a tent and camp fire next to it as in the movie "The Gods must Be Crazy".

Does Land Rover even make a basic back country vehicle anymore or are all their vehicles trying to outdo all the other luxury SUVs?

A flea market friend used to have two similar vehicles and would occasionally lease them to a film production.

I aspire to be the human version of this Rover. Basic functionality and nothing flashy. Ha!

Guy
Add Thank You Reply
K, I’m no expert but, this appears to be a Series IIA MADE BETWEEN 1961-1971.

The series II & IIA looked pretty similar until around 1969 ish when the headlights were moved from the grill to the wings..

The double roof was, if I remember correctly for tropical locations where the heat would be reduced on the outer covering, instead of beating you to death inside the vehicle. Lol. Just googled the roof and supposedly they have four vents between the two roofs that scoop cooler air into the vehicle but only when your moving.
Add Thank You Reply
I had a green 1966 easy to work on .
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply