Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dogs paws
not sure on how my dog would be in desert landscape any precautions for a Michigan dogs paws acclimating or what? he is a fourty something pound doxin/pit mix
the nomad need
Add Thank You Reply
me and the dog king this is the best pic I have right now    
the nomad need
Add Thank You Reply
the pads will toughen up on their own. however this could be extremely painful for your pooch. I have heard to rub rubbing alcohol on them several times a day, don't know I have never tried. there are dog boots. some people I know have had good luck with them. what ever you do try to get their pads toughened up with the least pain possible. so don't leave the boots on 24/7. to the east of the RTR there are several Cholla gardens. we call them jumping Cholla because it seems they jump out to get you. dogs have a very hard time in the gardens, it's best to stay away. carry needle nose pliers with you. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
joshuafarmer (12-15-2017)
HDR, I could have sworn that you had a set on your dog one year at RTR.  I think he ate them the first day.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
This is what we use for working dogs, i.e. dogs that are out in the field all day:
http://tuffoot.com/about/dog-paw-care
 -- Spiff

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Spaceman Spiff for this post:
ColdBrook (12-17-2017), joshuafarmer (12-15-2017)
i hike/walk my puppers on a variety of surfaces, including asphalt roads (though not in the hottest heat of summer!)
I do think their pads are toughest based on the road walking, so would encourage you to walk your dog as much as possible on sidewalks or roads before getting to desert - can't hurt to start off toughened up.

i am most worried about the cholla that gets mentioned -- even on leash my dogs keep their noses to the ground, sniffing, checking out everything. I want to avoid that stuff for sure once I get out there!
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tav-2020 for this post:
hahaha, no that wasn't me. my dog has been out doors all day for his whole life running around the ranch so he had tough pads. but since we sold the ranch he hasn't been as active. so I must watch his paws this year. he has even gained weight. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
thankyou everyone for your info my pup has not started life out so great being a rescue dog so I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible
the nomad need
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to joshuafarmer for this post:
highdesertranger (12-15-2017)
High Desert is right their paws will toughen up you just have to pay attention and make sure they don't get raw before they get calloused I have two service dogs and we've been from the east coast to the West Coast sandspurs goat heads lava rock just like us walking barefoot could damage their feet all we have to do is be aware and they'll be okay

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Jeremiah Diminovich for this post:
Holy cripes, steer clear the cholla! My dog got in some b4 I knew exactly what it was.

His 1st instinct was to pull it out of his paws with his mouth. Had to carry him out of cholla patch back to truck.

Then spent almost an hour pulling out the evil plant with needle nosed pliers including from his throat and gums.

Do not come to the desert without the needle nose, don't know what I'd have done without them.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to trailsailor for this post: