Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
being a man and being politically correct or "Elephant in the room"
Dang...nobody can take a joke anymore...

Dodgy

It's just that being an old fart, it might be nice to have the occasionally flirty female attention...

I'll go crawl under a rock and pout.

(not)
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
It wasn’t a joke because it wasn’t funny....inappropriate.  Flirty female attention? How about good conversation with a friendly person.
Explore, Dream, Discover 
The following 2 users say Thank You to Bohemian scout for this post:
dawnann7 (12-21-2017), SondraRose (12-20-2017)
(12-20-2017, 11:33 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Dang...nobody can take a joke anymore...)

Not a joking matter to most women I know, nor to me.

The difference between wanted and unwanted attention seems to have escaped you.  

In my opinion, flirting needs to be mutual and consensual.

Sexual harassment is unwanted and inappropriate attention.
Sofie the Sprinter, 2002 low roof

www.sondrarose.com
(12-20-2017, 10:54 AM)Ballenxj Wrote: Before anybody tries to say I'm now a woman hater, zip it, that won't fly here as some of my best friends were women.
Where is all this leading? I don't know, but whatever it is, it ain't good.

You don’t sound like a woman hater. You sound like a person who has been sexually harassed and didn’t appreciate it something women have had to deal with FOREVER!!!
Explore, Dream, Discover 
The following 2 users say Thank You to Bohemian scout for this post:
Ballenxj (12-20-2017), SondraRose (12-20-2017)
Um, I never considered it as sexual harassment as opposed to simply unwanted attention. I think there is too much of a hair trigger placed on sexual harassment allegations, and that is a big problem today.
I had been into photography for a while, and one of my brothers grown daughter asked if I would do a boudoir stye shoot with her. I told her absolutely not unless your Dad was also present! That killed that. These are the seemingly innocent things a guy now has to protect himself from. That, and I knew her mother was crazy. Did that rub off on her? I dunno, but was not about to take that chance.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Snow Gypsy (12-22-2017)
(12-20-2017, 12:16 PM)Ballenxj Wrote:  I think there is too much of a hair trigger placed on sexual harassment allegations, and that is a big problem today.
This is the street smarts that I alluded to earlier. There are things that need to be considered in every circumstance. The more that things are considered, the more behavior becomes considerate. Considerate behavior is at the root of much of this thread. The line above, "These are the seemingly innocent things a guy now has to protect himself from.", goes straight back to our OP & the opening comment.
Cheers, Rick
I'm having a cold beer under this rock.

Dodgy

There is a thread here about how some of us just don't look good naked anymore...and that's OK...its damn funny....but I make a joke about females not finding us old farts attractive...and doodoo hits the fan.

Sometimes humor over the internet just doesn't translate.

Maybe I should start a thread about THAT.

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
(12-20-2017, 12:39 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Sometimes humor over the internet just doesn't translate

Haha! Not as well as you'd like it to sometimes. As an aside, I have noticed on some dating sites 60 plus year old women state the age range they are looking for as 35 to 55 sometimes? Now tell me once again about these predatory men? Dodgy
There are times that I'll read something humorous here and blow coffee out my nose with laughter, and other times, well that didn't work. I agree that humor on the net, without the flow and spontaneity that a "live show" has, loses much and can definitely be received wrong. I've erased so many potential posts after proof reading, mainly because my in-person humor has an edge that doesn't translate well on the page. If I cross a line in person only those present will hammer me, then it goes away. Cross a line on the net, and the hammer gets passed around for quite awhile. I get ya man, I know humor when I read it. But even professional comedians will acknowledge my first sentence.
I should probably save this post for your thread on humor. It'll prolly take off like this one did.
Cheers, Rick
The following 2 users say Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
Charlotte's Web (12-20-2017), Ballenxj (12-20-2017)
I see what Tex was trying to achieve, but I consider this a serious thread with serious answers expected. Attempts at humor aren't always received well by everybody in those type of threads...
The following 2 users say Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Cammalu (12-20-2017), CautionToTheWind (12-20-2017)