Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback please on this idea for having a van plus trailer
Hello all....

I got a specific question below....please allow me to paint a picture....

I'm currently living fulltime in my 5th wheel at a local campground while working my career job, un-creating my old life (divorcing, selling house, emptying the nest, etc...) and I'm planning my next step into fulltime RVing/freedom....

I have an online business that will be my source of income once I leave my career job.  This business easily fits in my 5th wheel but I don't want to take the 5th wheel on the road.  I may keep it to be a homebase but not for travelling.   

I want to be in the best configuration for boondocking in interesting places.

So my initial idea is to get a Ford Transit medium roof (I need some ability to stand in the van, I'm 6'3")  and the van would be my office, "factory", shipping dept, etc...., and daily driver.  I need the volume of this kind of van to mostly keep my emptying bottling.

And for living in, I'm looking at travel trailers, particularly the Lance, in the 19-23' range.   

I will be living fulltime with my gf.

Solar is part of the plan, a combination of roof panels and portable panels plus inverter generator.

My specific question is this:

How will this configuration (van plus trailer) help or hurt me to get to remote camping areas?

Thanks!  Andrew
Add Thank You Reply
The key variable is "remote", usually very rough tracks.

Insufficient ground clearance on the van, and the trailer way too big, are the biggest issues.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
free2enjoy (12-16-2017)
I have found that even with my small pickup and 10' utility trailer, I think twice about heading down certain roads or driveways. Backing up a trailer any distance can really suck, especially in the dark.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
free2enjoy (12-16-2017)
That Transit Van might struggle a bit with a travel trailer in the mountains...

I have narrowed my search to factory high roof vans with a big motor, and there are only a few of those, the Nissan NV V-8 being one of them.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
free2enjoy (12-16-2017)
(12-16-2017, 01:33 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: That Transit Van might struggle a bit with a travel trailer in the mountains...

I have narrowed my search to factory high roof vans with a big motor, and there are only a few of those, the Nissan NV V-8 being one of them.

If I go with the Transit van, I would get the turbocharged V6 for the hill climbing.  

I did look at the Nissan since it's a van on a truck chassis with a V8, but it's limited in cargo volume.   

The rear end of the Transit looked like a truck vs. the ProMaster.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-16-2017, 01:29 PM)WanderingCanuck Wrote: I have found that even with my small pickup and 10' utility trailer, I think twice about heading down certain roads or driveways. Backing up a trailer any distance can really suck, especially in the dark.

That's a great point!
Add Thank You Reply
I guess the follow on question is with my proposed rig of a Transit van and a 20' trailer, are there plenty of enjoyable places to boondock or does it take a 4x4 or a van without a trailer to get to these spots?

I'm in a good spot having the business to take on the road but understandably leaves me in this compromise for exploring. I don't have any experience at all boondocking so I'm at a loss.

The other option isn't really an option I like....containing the home and business in a Class A (need the basement storage) and towing a 4x4 or having a 4x4 pickup towing a 5th wheel (again for the basement storage for the business.

The other consideration is that probably twice weekly, we would be heading to a post office to drop off orders.
Add Thank You Reply
Have you considered a cube van or moving van/truck with some space above the cab? One of these has been high on my list of considerations. You get lots of easily configurable space, a big engine that's meant for hauling and rear wheel drive (usually dual). You can choose the length - 10', 12', 16', 20' and partition the interior as you need.

Stick a company logo on the side if you aren't trying to be stealthy and as far as anyone else is concerned, it's just your delivery vehicle.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
free2enjoy (12-16-2017)
You’re going to be an RV and you will be stuck camping with the RV crowd—is that remote enough for you?

It’s far too limiting for me so I sold my 6x10 cargo trailer and travel in just my van.

To be fair, some RVers do go back past the RV crowd, but they usually have a 4x4 tow vehicle and still can’t go where I go with a 2wd van because the trailer limits them.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
BikeBoomer (12-16-2017), free2enjoy (12-16-2017)
Anything can be done with megabuck$

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
free2enjoy (12-16-2017)