Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van life or my marriage
Unfortunately, no one has the answer to your query except you.  It's hard however you look at it.

One truism that I try to remember at such times is that "there's always a third choice." Life is rarely black and white, rather many shades of grey are between the 2 choices.  Ponder what shades of grey may be between your van life and your marriage.  Others here have already suggested a few.

For me personally, I thoroughly explored many grey areas from 2009-2016. Finally, every possible compromise that my husband and I worked at had failed.  We've now been divorced for almost a year.  

But, what came out of that 6+ year effort of compromising is a lot of mutual respect for each other and a very good life-long friendship.

May you and your wife discover the choices that bring you both happiness.

Suanne
Solo travel in a Prius -- SuanneOnline.blogspot.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to Suanne for this post:
Snow Gypsy (01-06-2018), dawnann7 (12-18-2017), Capricci (12-17-2017), White+Nerdy (12-17-2017), cyndi (12-17-2017), Minivanmotoman (12-17-2017)
Life isn't black or white, relationships require compromise and compassion. Love of self will kill a relationship which requires being selfless and considerate. At the feast of ego, everyone goes home hungry.
What should you do? Definitely not follow the advice, based on THEIR experience/preference, of strangers in a forum. Best that we can do is enlighten you to aspects that you might consider, emphasize, critical think to develop your own solutions. None of us know the specifics of your situation from a paragraph or two to be able to give you the right answer. In a forum of nomads and wanderers, what type of answer could one expect to get? Unbiased and impartial?

Here are some thoughts to consider.

From the way that you mention it, appears that you are basically considering a personal desire/ fantasy vs the realities of a relationship which is not as exciting anymore and it's numerous limitations/ compromises. Your questioning it's value vs wanderlust. If that is correct, there are many implications to ponder and assess. Do some research and reading on both of those. In which case the questions for you to answer might be, travel vs love and a relationship? Sacrifice vs Independence? Best possible compromises? fantasy vs reality? How to keep the fire of love alive? How long will wanderlust be fulfilling before it to becomes redundant, lonely?

How can anyone answer this question for you? They can't. Only you know what's deep inside. And only down the road will you know if a choice you make was good or bad or so so.
Emotions do not always lead us down the best path or to happiness.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
Snow Gypsy (01-06-2018), geogentry (12-18-2017), White+Nerdy (12-17-2017)
(12-17-2017, 09:02 AM)lenny flank Wrote: Life is not Instagram and YouTube. And if your real troubles lie between your ears, vandwelling will do nothing to solve them.

So, so true. And I do have troubles between my ears as well, and vandwelling won’t fix them any more than my many other major life changes have. But those adventures have taught me that vandwelling might be a good option for me. If I’d discovered it a few years ago, before my wife and I got together, I might’ve gone that way instead.

But here I am now. I can’t “van dwell” in a WRX sedan or a VW Jetta I turned into a pickup truck. Too small. It costs so much to travel and stay in hotels that I’m convinced a van is a viable option, even short term. I’m not sure how to sell her on the idea, or if I should even try to.

I appreciate everyone’s input on this. Thank you.
- Justin
Add Thank You Reply
This is how I've personally dealt with the issue:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover". --MARK TWAIN
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
White+Nerdy (12-17-2017)
Wandering Canuck, if it was simple as casting off material possessions and jobs I’d already be doing it. When it comes to throwing away my relationship with the most amazing woman I’ve ever known, I can’t do that. Not lightly at any rate.

I do genuinely appreciate your advice though.
- Justin
Add Thank You Reply
In my experience, it doesn’t have to be either /or. It just takes some imagination and a willingness not to settle for less.

I’m the wanderer in our marriage. He’s not. We’ve based our relationship on win-win, rather than one person sacrificing for the other.

My husband and I have different needs and we work together to make sure we both get what we need. Oh, and the dogs, too!

So we downsized so we can have a home-base AND a van. I take short trips, sometimes with the dogs, sometimes not. He will join me during the AZ summers for at least part of the time (we both can work on the road.)

I probably won’t go full-time unless I end up living longer than him. I am cool with that. Smile
Sofie the Sprinter, 2002 low roof

www.sondrarose.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to SondraRose for this post:
White+Nerdy (12-17-2017)
(12-17-2017, 11:52 AM)White+Nerdy Wrote: Wandering Canuck, if it was simple as casting off material possessions and jobs I’d already be doing it. When it comes to throwing away my relationship with the most amazing woman I’ve ever known, I can’t do that. Not lightly at any rate.

I do genuinely appreciate your advice though.

I'm not making any claims that this is simple.  Simple is the status quo.  Ever played "52 pickup"? (Reference: 52 Pickup, Wikipedia)  That's sort of what I'm involved in right now, though not quite so severe.  Do I have regrets for going down this road?  Not yet.

Now, if you genuinely appreciate and respect her, perhaps my solution isn't what's right for you.  My only advice in that case is that you find a way to be happier than you are right now because small amounts of unhappiness as a result of your situation don't solve themselves.  They get worse.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
White+Nerdy (12-17-2017)
Ok. Too me forever to find it (and still not sure how I did!) But here is link to article Bob made using a post from forum on this very topic.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/uncategoriz...nt-travel/

For my two cents, whatever you ultimately decide, if the person you are leaving truly loves you, you owe that person a goodbye, made as humanely and gently as possible. But the person in this post makes a good point (their user name is, walkabout, i think?) If your wife is holding onto you as if you are on a leash then the resentment of giving up your dream in exchange for being just one more pet in the petshop is just going to build up to unbearable levels and destroy the relationship anyway. Does that make sense?
Capricci
1. fancy, whimsy, caper
2. sudden start, motion, or change of direction
4. one old, blue minivan, destined for greatness
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Capricci for this post:
dawnann7 (01-07-2018), frater secessus (12-25-2017), White+Nerdy (12-18-2017)
(12-16-2017, 06:35 PM)White+Nerdy Wrote:  But I’m also committed to her, and I don’t know how to proceed.

So buy a bus at auction and convert it.  It will just big a BIG van.  Plan out how to put the bird and hedgehog cages in the bus.  The cats and dogs should be no problem.  With the extra room of a bus you can have the open road and your wife and she can have her zoo.  Your not gonna be able to convert the thing over night anyway so that gives you time to slowly and patiently work oh her.

And if you only use as much room for yourself as you would have in a van your gonna have more than enough room for her zoo - and well her too of course.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to geogentry for this post:
White+Nerdy (12-18-2017)
^I agree with this last post, or in a variation thereof. I believe that this may eliminate the "either/or" choice that you are presenting yourself with and introduce another choice or avenue of thought for the happiness of two. The relationship that you have with your bride could have the two of you come to a compromise of some form that'll eventually grow into the start of another chapter of your lives together. She is the most amazing woman you've ever known and you love her, you cherish her, and you certainly do not want to go on without her. I believe that in the interest of each other's happiness, especially if each considers the other, this idea of yours will grow from dream to hobby to lifestyle in a way that not only makes you both happy, but makes you both happy together, as you turn the corner and venture down the road together. All the best to you both.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
White+Nerdy (01-06-2018)