Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any raw fed pets?
Hi yall,

My 40lb Australian Shepherd is currently on a raw fed diet (prey model raw style) and I know I won't have the fridge space for this once I transition to RV life.  I'm thinking maybe I'll try a combo of freeze-dried raw food (which is shelf stable) with an addition of a few raw meaty bones (refrigerated).  Has anyone else tried some variation of raw feeding with their pet on the road?  If so, what do you use/do?

Thanks!
-Adriana
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to AdventurousAdriana for this post:
Gardenias (12-17-2017)
I'm not aware of the benefits of a raw food pet diet. I mix Beneful, a lower end quality brand, with various quality 'sweetners', including my cooking for personal consumption.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
Trap some rabbits or coyotes out there?

lol...seriously... I'd like to know what you come up with...it's not easy when on the road.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-16-2017, 08:36 PM)AdventurousAdriana Wrote: "...maybe I'll try a combo of freeze-dried raw food (which is shelf stable) with an addition of a few raw meaty bones (refrigerated). ..."

That sounds kinda balanced (since the freeze-dried food turns to mush with the added water). Don't dogs hunt for food in the wild?
Add Thank You Reply
Save all the roadkill you see. Wink

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
DLTooley (12-18-2017)
(12-16-2017, 08:36 PM)AdventurousAdriana Wrote: Hi yall,

My 40lb Australian Shepherd is currently on a raw fed diet (prey model raw style) and I know I won't have the fridge space for this once I transition to RV life.  I'm thinking maybe I'll try a combo of freeze-dried raw food (which is shelf stable) with an addition of a few raw meaty bones (refrigerated).  Has anyone else tried some variation of raw feeding with their pet on the road?  If so, what do you use/do?

Thanks!
-Adriana

There are some foods for dogs that meet your needs I think but you may want to investigate them to see if they fit what your trying to do-

Max Meat air dried meat (90%)
https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/...99276.aspx

Real Meat air dried meat (90%)
http://www.realmeatpet.com/realmeatpetfood.htm

Fresh is Best  You probably already found this as it is freeze dried.  This is NOT just meat.  It looks like thy ground the meat up mixed it with other ingredients and then freeze dried it into little cubes.
http://www.freshisbest.com/natural-pet-f...eze-dried/

The air dried might be more along the line of what you seek since they tend to be more like a jerky and will help keep your dogs teeth cleaner because of the chewing of the tough jerky.

These all seemed to address the overall health of the dog by insuring that the nutritional requirements (vitamins and minerals) are met.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to geogentry for this post:
AdventurousAdriana (12-17-2017)
(12-17-2017, 12:10 PM)DLTooley Wrote: I'm not aware of the benefits of a raw food pet diet.  

The basic premise is that by feeding a dog a diet closer to an ancestral diet the dogs health is improved (which it is) and lessen the adverse effects of aging in dogs.   With the dogs health closer to ideal this will tend to extend the life of the dog in general.  A good example of a raw food diet is the husky sled dogs - they are all normally fed a raw food diet which keeps their health up and increases their energy allowing them to perform.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to geogentry for this post:
DLTooley (12-18-2017), AdventurousAdriana (12-17-2017)
(12-17-2017, 03:51 PM)geogentry Wrote: The basic premise is that by feeding a dog a diet closer to an ancestral diet the dogs health is improved (which it is) and lessen the adverse effects of aging in dogs.   With the dogs health closer to ideal this will tend to extend the life of the dog in general.  A good example of a raw food diet is the husky sled dogs - they are all normally fed a raw food diet which keeps their health up and increases their energy allowing them to perform.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of improvements in my dog since switching him to raw.  He had a lot of allergies and loose stools (even on the grain-free, high quality dog food) which has stopped since I switched him to raw.  Smile
Add Thank You Reply
Can you freeze the meat and thaw it for the pooch as needed?
You say RV life so I'm assuming an RV fridge you'd be sharing between you and the pup.
A dedicated 12 volt fridge/freezer just for the dog's food if you have room should hold quite a bit while freeing up space in 'your' fridge.
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues;
Just you wait and see.
Add Thank You Reply
Out of curiosity I searched up freeze dried raw dog food. Wow, pretty pricey! Any idea how much it would cost to feed a 40 pound dog in this way? If I was going to feed my dog (if I had one) this diet I might be reduced to eating Old Roy Helper.

Might want to let the dog decide by trying some before the transition to the road.

As an aside, a friend of mine has her dogs on an all vegetable diet and swears that dogs were vegetarian before they were domesticated by humans. HA!

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply