Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How "stealthy" are cargo trailers?
For my plan, I've ruled out an RV because it will really stand out as a dwelling where I plan to be.  I want something that blends in, which has had me leaning toward a large modern van more than anything else.

However, some of you may have seen my thread on kayak storage and a 16-20' cargo trailer would easily resolve this issue for me.  Not to mention being less expensive, easier to find with lots of headroom, and more space overall to allow for generous insulation.

So why am I not already looking for one?  It's because you need to get out of the tow vehicle and into the trailer to access your living space.  Any time someone sees you do this, especially at night, it's a red flag that you're living inside.  I'd rather people not know this, or at least leave considerable room for doubt.

Any suggestions to overcome this limitation of a vehicle/trailer combination in an urban (but not insanely so) environment?
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
Also, the tow vehicle can affect stealth, depending on what it is.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(12-17-2017, 11:11 AM)MrNoodly Wrote: Also, the tow vehicle can affect stealth, depending on what it is.

This is a good point.  I'm thinking either a smaller van with low roof (consider this "the shed") or a pickup truck.  Both are frequently seen attached to cargo trailers.

The vehicle/trailer combination limits where I can go for sure, but the intention with this setup would be to stay mostly on pavement with a some graded gravel from time to time.
Add Thank You Reply
Have you thought about a folding kayak?

Yeah I know it's not the same, but everything is a compromise.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-17-2017, 11:41 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Have you thought about a folding kayak?

Yeah I know it's not the same, but everything is a compromise.

I have, and it's still on the short list.  I would prefer a hard sided boat though.  I'm a big guy and finding a kayak that's a really good fit, while not being a sluggish bathtub is quite the challenge.  It's also the reason why renting isn't much of an option.  There just aren't many boats that work for me.

The other thing is that there aren't any folders I've been able to find locally to test paddle.  I wouldn't think of purchasing something without paddling it first.

I'm thinking that in the long term after I have a home on wheels I might take a long trip and test paddle some of the more compact options.  It might result in replacing the hard-sided boat.
Add Thank You Reply
I've only been in one folding kayak and it was a friend's Folbot, this was 20 years ago so I sure don't remember the model, but it worked well for the two of us, and we ain't small guys either.

Wink
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Cloak of invisibility. Underground tunnel passageway.
What you're asking for may not be realistic. Getting in and out of a trailer with stealth on a regular basis?
You may have to look at this from another objective aspect. Like place the kayak in storage when not in use, avoid the trailer and get a stealth vehicle only. You're probably going to stealth camp much more than kayak. And when you kayak, don't need stealth and it only takes up precious space. What you save on hauling the trailer would pay for storage. Or keep it at a friend's place.
Inflatable kayak, some of the expensive ones apparently are quite performing.
Beam me up Scotty.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
(12-17-2017, 12:34 PM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: Cloak of invisibility. Underground tunnel passageway.

Ahah! (slapping forehead) Invisibility cloak!  Why didn't I think of that?

Sarcasm aside, I know what I'm trying to achieve isn't easy and I'm still open to lots of different options.  I appreciate your input.
Add Thank You Reply
I don't know how easy they are to find or how many are out there, but I've worked in an industrial park that catered to small/medium businesses that utilized loading docks. They all had their own trucks and trailers parked there so the place was littered with them.

There were enough businesses that there were always strange trucks and trailers coming through that nobody ever gave them a second glance. A security service made rounds at night but just drove through, making a show of shining a spotlight around, they weren't noting license plates or anything.

Park between a couple businesses and each will assume it's associated with the other and not raise a fuss.

Surely good for a night or two at a time and then rotate out, nobody would know the difference, I would think.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to AJ452 for this post:
akrvbob (12-17-2017)
In my own opinion, if you are going to be living in an urban setting, stealth/blending-in is number one priority. When I read your post it kinda reminded me of my own dilemma few years ago. I started out in a Van but wanted more room and storage and changed into a truck/trailer (6 foot) combo. Well . . with the trailer, it was hard to park, find parking, maneuver in narrow streets and most of all TOTALLY NOT STEALTHY!

In Urban setting pretty much no one drives their "trailer" daily and its easily spotted and remembered. And as far as getting out of the truck and into the trailer to sleep, man at times I had to wait either for a while until to coast is clear but by that time people already see me sitting in the truck in waiting mode. And for sure to spot me going into the trailer. Because of that I had to evaluate whats important to me and adjust and sacrifice. My number one most important is stealth so I went back to the Cargo Van setting.

Its whole lot easier to just park and go thru the cage door and into my sleeping courters. If in the middle of the night something doesn't feel right, I can also smoothly get into the driver seat and leave.

If you are dead set of keeping the kayak with you 247, how about a stealthy box van instead? I think you should have enough room to build a platform as Kayak on the bottom and bed on top. The box van will do ok on streets with storefronts or in commercial areas but chancing it in residential.

My van is just plain white and nothing special. I rotate sleeping spots and developed like a schedule but for the most part a plain white van blends in very well in a lot of places.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cargo trailers and toxic plywood Salient0ne 18 2,491 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Last Post: John61CT
  Do any campgrounds not allow converted cargo trailers? Every Road Leads Home 10 5,717 06-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Madpeep
  All About Cargo Trailers AltTransBikes 15 7,555 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post: arizonatruck