Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How "stealthy" are cargo trailers?
At this point it just seems like I keep going in circles while considering what type of vehicle or combination is right for me. Not being able to fit a kayak inside isn't a deal breaker, but it sure would be nice to be able to keep the kind of boat I want and not have to worry about storage somewhere else. One advantage to storage space is that I could store the boat much closer to where I use it, thus saving some fuel by not transporting it on the roof. I'm sure the money saved by living in a van would offset the cost of a storage unit, but it wasn't in my initial plans. I can't think of anywhere I'd be able to safely store a boat for free.

I'm thinking the trailer idea is out though. It would be great for all the reasons I mentioned but there are some definite issues with urban use.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
Vesper (12-19-2017)
No matter how you go about it? Almost everyone will see "stealth" as just skulking around. No one will
appreciate it and it gives converted cargo trailers a bad rep. Have you actually thought about asking
someone to stay. I have a few times. Only turned down once by a guy who had a fish on his car and
entrance door.
Add Thank You Reply
Answer to title: not at all.

Furthermore, true stealth requires moving very frequently, always finding new spots.

And no movement or noise at the sleeping spot, eat, brush your teeth before you head there say 8-9pm, once parked in the overnight spot, complete silence.

The head out by 7-8am, don't return for a few days if ever.

Just can't see it with a trailer.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 05:24 AM)SalsaDog Wrote: Have you actually thought about asking someone to stay?

I tried putting out an online classified for a while.  People were looking at the ad but I never received any responses.

My situation is rather fluid at the moment and my base location could change any day, so having one place to park with permission might not be the ticket right now.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 02:15 PM)John61CT Wrote: Answer to title: not at all.

Furthermore,  true stealth requires moving very frequently,  always finding new spots.

And no movement or noise at the sleeping spot, eat, brush your teeth before you head there say 8-9pm, once parked in the overnight spot, complete silence.

The head out by 7-8am, don't return for a few days if ever.

Just can't see it with a trailer.

I'm not seeing it with a trailer either at this point.  Even a large van as a "daily driver" is going to raise some eyebrows with co-workers.  Less, though, than a 20' cargo trailer seemingly hauled around just for the heck of it.
Add Thank You Reply
Do coworkers need to know how you get to work? Find a spot around the corner, or a stop or two away on public transport.
Add Thank You Reply
Here ya go:

https://www.google.com/search?q=camo+car...90&bih=762
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 06:21 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Here ya go:

https://www.google.com/search?q=camo+car...90&bih=762

LOL.. not bad, except I think the "cinder block" motif would blend better.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 06:03 PM)John61CT Wrote: Do coworkers need to know how you get to work? Find a spot around the corner,  or a stop or two away on public transport.

I've considered that as an option as well.  The question that remains for me is where to park and how much it would cost, versus free parking in a work parking lot.

I have to do some research on the surrounding area.  If I came in on a bike there would be even fewer questions, I could park farther away, and I'd get some exercise too.  Of course, I might also get run over en route.

I'm still leaning away from the trailer though.  Maybe some day when I'm not working full time, or if I've been a place long enough that I'm pretty sure of the reaction by employers and co-workers.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-18-2017, 06:39 PM)WanderingCanuck Wrote: LOL.. not bad, except I think the "cinder block" motif would blend better.

Cinder Block Cammo....

Shh....dont tell Bob...he'll make a video about it.

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cargo trailers and toxic plywood Salient0ne 18 2,477 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Last Post: John61CT
  Do any campgrounds not allow converted cargo trailers? Every Road Leads Home 10 5,708 06-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Madpeep
  All About Cargo Trailers AltTransBikes 15 7,544 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post: arizonatruck