Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with the garbage?
I just joined the group and the question that was on my mind that brought me here was, what do we do with our trash?  I get it that if we are at a site with a dumpster for that purpose we just throw it in there, but what if we are boondocking?  I can't imagine that we should drive around looking for an unattended dumpster to throw our stuff in.  Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.  

SO... what do we do with our garbage?
Add Thank You Reply
Whatever goes in, comes out. Dump when you find a dumpster.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
La Tortuga (12-17-2017)
(12-17-2017, 05:51 PM)jwalts Wrote: Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.

Why not?

Seriously, how much garbage to you plan to generate in the amount of time between fuel fill-ups, grocery store runs, or maybe a stop at the local coffee shop?  If you minimize your waste to start, and dispose in readily available receptacles frequently you shouldn't have any problem.  There might be a local depot for recyclables and it should be free to drop off anything in that category.

At least, that's been my plan for a future that involves living in a vehicle.  I'm interested to see what those of you who do it already have to say.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
drysailor (12-19-2017), jwalts (12-18-2017)
I live full time in an RV and mostly boondock. I generate very little trash. I burn all the burnables and take my trash to the local gas station or rest stop. It hasn’t been a problem, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Ford F250 and a 30ft Springdale Travel Trailer. Happily full time since 7/2016.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Blanch for this post:
bethiebugs (12-18-2017), jwalts (12-18-2017)
Around here, the Walmarts have separate bins for recyclables, trash etc......
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to poncho62 for this post:
jwalts (12-18-2017)
Most communities have garbage facilities.  For example, if you are in Quartzsite head North.  Follow the signs towards Parker.  Not far beyond Quartzsite you will see signs for the transfer station.  

Packaging is the part of trash with the most bulk.  I don't hesitate to unpack purchases before leaving the store parking lot and returning the packaging to the trash can in front of the store.  Garbage like used coffee grounds come back to the store at the next trip.  Disposing frequently makes each deposit smaller.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Trebor English for this post:
jwalts (12-18-2017), Vesper (12-17-2017)
when there are no burn bans I burn all paper/cardboard. do not try to burn plastic or foam. for everything else I find the county landfill or transfer station. for a small bag I use gas stations island cans or rest stops. I never use business dumpsters without asking for permission. I separate recyclables and either recycle or donate them. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
VJG1977 (12-28-2017), bethiebugs (12-18-2017), Vesper (12-18-2017), jwalts (12-18-2017)
(12-17-2017, 05:51 PM)jwalts Wrote:   Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.  

SO... what do we do with our garbage?

Welcome to the place, life slows down.

I live on the road full time. So....
        If I'm on the move from point A to Point B. As you mentioned cram it in a gas station can, at the pumps.
Or if I'm camping out, 9 times out of 10 I will dig a Garbage hole. When it fills up, I set it, a blaze!
That same hole can be used over and over.
Fill it in when I leave.
http://walkingplow.blogspot.com/
http://dunghook.wordpress.com

If the people around you don't understand you, it may be your around the wrong people.  Dodgy
White, 95 Chevy Van
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Jim Plow for this post:
jwalts (12-18-2017)
I want to add that a few times I have asked at a gas station if I could toss a kitchen sized bag in the dumpster and the response was it was better than filling the cans at the pumps.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
bethiebugs (12-18-2017), Pebbles (12-18-2017), jwalts (12-18-2017)
Parks are another place to find trash cans.

There just does not seem to be a reliable way to find a place to recycle anything but deposit cans/bottles (and even those can be hard to find a place to sell).
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to blars for this post:
bethiebugs (12-18-2017), jwalts (12-18-2017)