Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with the garbage?
I use plastic grocery bags for garbage. Depositing one or two in any place I'm doing business has never been an issue. If I've been out for awhile and I have a bunch I'll ask if nothing public is available. Gas stations are a good go to for water and trash.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DLTooley for this post:
jwalts (12-18-2017)
(12-17-2017, 05:51 PM)jwalts Wrote: Again, thanks to all of you who replied.  I don't figure I will be generating much garbage but it was something I had not seen any information on anywhere and was curious.  In all the videos I have seen about full time RVing and vanlife I have not seen a shovel yet, but I bet it is something you all carry.  

For some reason I had it in my head that fires would be restricted in many places.  Now that I am thinking of it, I don't know.   So much to learn.  Bob had said in a video this was the place to get answers, of course he was right.  

Thanks again everyone.  :-)
Jim

"SO... what do we do with our garbage?"
Add Thank You Reply
I make an effort to be mindful of how much trash or garbage I create/accumulate as a way of minimising my footprint. From there, rigorous recycling, including composting where possible, results in very little heading to landfill. Bit of a self esteem boost every time I leave a recycling station and no trash in the van.

The choice of using a gas station bin against creating litter is an easy one.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ticklebellly for this post:
jwalts (12-22-2017)
(12-17-2017, 05:51 PM)jwalts Wrote: what do we do with our trash?

One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper. Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan. :-)
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
Thirsty Boots Nomad (12-22-2017), dawnann7 (12-22-2017), jwalts (12-22-2017), B and C (12-19-2017)
(12-18-2017, 08:44 AM)DLTooley Wrote: I use plastic grocery bags for garbage.  

That's what I use too.  The small size makes it easy to drop them in any trashcan anywhere.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
dawnann7 (12-22-2017), B and C (12-19-2017)
(12-19-2017, 12:46 PM)Ticklebellly Wrote: I make an effort to be mindful of how much trash or garbage I create/accumulate as a way of minimising my footprint.   From there, rigorous recycling, including composting where possible, results in very little heading to landfill.   Bit of a self esteem boost every time I leave a recycling station and no trash in the van.

The choice of using a gas station bin against creating litter is an easy one.

I'm of the same attitude.  I don't want my life to create problems any more than I can help it.    I guess the trick is to try to get things without packaging, or as another person has said, strip the extra packaging and leave it at the store that you got it from.  Who knows, perhaps they would start to consider less packaging.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2017, 04:57 PM)frater secessus Wrote: One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper.   Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan.  :-)

Great idea!  :-)
Add Thank You Reply
While the rest of the Japan has a recycling rate of around 20 percent, Kamikatsu surpasses its neighbors with a staggering 80 percent. After becoming aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide associated with burning garbage, the town instated the Zero Waste Declaration with the goal of being completely waste-free by 2020.

https://youtu.be/OS9uhASKyjA
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to John61CT for this post:
Dutch Marc (12-22-2017), dawnann7 (12-22-2017)
(12-19-2017, 04:57 PM)frater secessus Wrote: One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper.   Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan.  :-)

Good one. Forced myself to learn that one by getting groceries on a motorcycle.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
(12-22-2017, 02:00 PM)John61CT Wrote: While the rest of the Japan has a recycling rate of around 20 percent, Kamikatsu surpasses its neighbors with a staggering 80 percent. After becoming aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide associated with burning garbage, the town instated the Zero Waste Declaration with the goal of being completely waste-free by 2020.

https://youtu.be/OS9uhASKyjA
This effort put into recycling reminds me of the freighters from Japan that come up the Mystic River to Chelsea Massachusetts to a pulverizing plant that reduces various types and sizes of metal for recycling, around the world to turn scrap metal into merchandise.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply