Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sshh secret - no medical insurance
I don't consider myself homeless I consider myself on a sabbatical trying to discover who I used to be

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Jeremiah Diminovich for this post:
free2enjoy (12-20-2017)
I have Medicare. My adult children have United Indian Health Services. If you are a Native American and are eligible for tribal membership get it, it gets you free health insurance and free dental. I did the genealogy research and got my boys their tribal membership cards. I know this doesn’t apply to too many people, but if it applies to you then you can pm me for more details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Ford F250 and a 30ft Springdale Travel Trailer. Happily full time since 7/2016.
Add Thank You Reply
I don't know how people get by without health insurance, especially when they start getting older and body parts break more easily.  

Have you seen those ACA commercials they're airing on TV lately, where a guy trips on a toy left on the stairs or falls off a ladder while stringing Christmas lights?

There was a time I would have laughed at those ads, but not anymore.  Not since 8 months ago when I took what seemed like a very minor fall on my bicycle, but ended up tearing the rotator cuff tendons in both my shoulders.  

I hate to think what might have been if I hadn't had health insurance at that time, or had unaffordable, high deductible, insurance.  I might have lost the use of my right arm.  
I'm only 52!  

Now I'm on COBRA, and the cost is a killer!  $800 a month, but thankfully no deductible.  And that doesn't last forever.  
Last time I checked the "Marketplace", the prices were ridiculous.  $600 - $800 a month with a $6,500 annual deductible.  Who can pay that?!?!

Healthcare costs are the biggest single reason I don't quit my job, build a larger van, and move to Arizona.  
I don't particularly like my job, in fact I hate it, but it pays enough to allow me to live in a beautiful part of the state I'm in, and comes with great, free, health benefits.  

Hard to walk away from that, given the alternatives.
Add Thank You Reply
I am confused by this post. Where did the 10K base budget come from and what is included. Why 10K
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Bast for this post:
Cammalu (12-19-2017)
For a family not eligible for any gov support or subsidies, that's about the baseline cost for fully private health insurance in the US.

For the poster who can't imagine doing without, really?

I can easily imagine not having access to decent care, and dying young as a result.

How most of the world operates, and going to be more and more the case stateside as well.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
Goshawk (12-20-2017)
(12-19-2017, 02:07 PM)Jeremiah Diminovich Wrote: I don't consider myself homeless I consider myself on a sabbatical trying to discover who I used to be

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2017, 09:28 PM)John61CT Wrote: For a family not eligible for any gov support or subsidies, that's about the baseline cost for fully private health insurance in the US.

For the poster who can't imagine doing without, really?

I can easily imagine not having access to decent care, and dying young as a result.

How most of the world operates, and going to be more and more the case stateside as well.

Mobile lifestyle folks make between $10k and $30k per year depending on status as a single or couple. The impact of $7000 per year premium only,via Obamacare or via normal family health insurance, is just not going to ease up ever. Even if you choose to go without insurance at all, you best be saving $5000 a year for a rainy day medical cost (like expensive drugs). Most people can’t save to improve their life, so this is a shaky task goal at best. Even the folks who are leaders in mobile lifestyle will of course not share if they have a rainy day medical savings (risk of beggars wanting help?); but bet they do.

Wish more folks would estimate the cost out of pocket for cancer chemotherapy, or heart bypass surgery even if you are dirt poor. You might find you have limited access to the best drugs, or limited access to the best doctor group. But if you are under 35 you don’t really see that much care about that risk.

You can pay the system now, or you gamble and can pay the system later.

Add Thank You Reply
Another approach to healthcare is prevention.

I really, really enjoy learning from Dr. Berg about natural ways to help the body heal itself. His videos are really short, really rich with easy to understand insights, and his bedside manner is impeccable.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+berg
Add Thank You Reply
If you make below 130% of poverty level, get on Medicaid, or move your home base to a state which has expanded Medicaid.   Washington has done that.

If you make above 130% of poverty level, the subsidized premium is not expensive (a bronze policy is actually free of charge).  Yes the bronze has a high deductible, but it is free so why not take it?   A silver policy with a 94% coverage will likely only be $30 to $60 a month.   Quite a few people spend that much on just their pets.
Add Thank You Reply
As a kid, we didn't have health insurance. I remember going to the doctor and just paying them like any other service. Of course, I remember them sharpening needles to. It used to take two nurses to hold me down. Seems, things have gotten more efficient, I wonder what went wrong?

The four big expenses are housing, education, transportation, and health insurance. Cheap RV living really only cancels one of those costs. Transportation and health insurance could easily cost $10k a year.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicaid expansion - poor people medical insurance. Goshawk 18 623 12-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Last Post: ZacLee
  Medical Insurance/Claim Info for Veterans GrantRobertson 3 917 10-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Last Post: akrvbob
  Medical insurance Hoolie's mom 10 2,876 10-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Hoolie's mom