Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows, yea or nea?
Looking at GMC Savana cargo, have my choice of side and back windows. Or with no windows behind the driver/passenger. Most van dwellers cover them over anyhow, I might live to open then for air. Any thoughts?
Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2017, 03:18 PM)Linedog Wrote: Looking at GMC Savana cargo, have my choice of side and back windows. Or with no windows behind the driver/passenger. Most van dwellers cover them over anyhow, I might live to open then for air. Any thoughts?

I love my windows but I have a passenger van, ford e150.  There are too many windows for energy efficiency. If I had a cargo van I’d get some windows. I have to have natural light and be able to see outside....for my sanity.
Explore, Dream, Discover 
Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2017, 03:18 PM)Linedog Wrote: Looking at GMC Savana cargo, have my choice of side and back windows. Or with no windows behind the driver/passenger. Most van dwellers cover them over anyhow, I might live to open then for air. Any thoughts?

I drive a conversion van and I love my windows.  I love being able to see the landscape around me, I love the light and the ventalation windows provide.  I want to live in nature not in an a starfoam ice chest.  Now I am new to living in a van.  After I live in my van for a few more months I may be singing a different tune. Many people who have been living in their vans  a lot longer that I have get along fine w  windows in the doors only or no windows at all.  
Just remember you don't have to get it right the first time.  Get started and see what fits you.
La Tortuga Abides,

Who knew that becoming a "Human Being" takes practice?
Add Thank You Reply
I have no windows in my GMC Savana. Doesn't bother me. If I want an outside view, I go outside.

It has no effect on my insulation, since I have no insulation.

And I don't feel cooped up inside since I spend nearly all my time outside the van anyway, entering only to cook dinner, read an ebook, and sleep at night.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply

When I'm camped, I like not having any windows except up front. When I'm driving, I hate it.

If I want some sunshine I'll open the doors and/or step outside. 

Still living in a house for now; I hardly ever open the window shades anyway.
2017 GMC Savana 3500 - Not dwelling yet but on the way.
Add Thank You Reply
I bought a new '77 Dodge shorty van way back then.  It had windows in the side doors (fixed) and windows in the back that swung open from the bottom (hinged on top).  The windows in the side door made it easier as I could turn my head and look out for a vehicle that may be in my blind spot when driving and also for those intersections that are not square.  I had little side mirrors (5x7) with those spot mirrors on them.  Those helped most of the time.  It was also nice to sit and see out when the weather was bad.  During nice weather both doors were usually open except when sleeping.  The back windows were nice when in bed (or sitting near the side doors) as the swing out windows allowed for ventilation when the weather was bad and when sleeping while providing a view.  Pull the curtains for privacy or now, stuff reflectix in them.  Still had plenty of wall space that way.  I thought it was the best of both worlds.  Kinda wish I had kept it.  One of a few regrets.  It had over 250K miles on it when I sold it and fixed just the way I liked it.  Still looked brand new and not a speck of rust.

My Roadtrek has a window in the side door too (and rear).  Sure makes driving easier and I can see out before opening the door.  I now stuff reflectix in them at night.

YMMV
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
If/when I get a van, I plan to have windows all around. I love having windows all around in my Prius. I figure I can put curtains up for privacy, and Reflectix to keep more heat in, or the sun's heat out. I could even cut blue/pink foam board to size for real insulation. I really love my screened windows and would hope to duplicate that on a van. It keeps the bugs out, yet allows fresh air inside. I figure it's easier to cover and insulate windows if I ever decided I didn't want them, than to create windows once I had a van without them.

In the past, the only van I ever had was an '04 passenger Sprinter van and it had windows all around, which I loved. I would get another Sprinter in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive to maintain and prone to rust. Loved driving it.

Suanne ... but happy in the Prius for now
Solo travel in a Prius -- SuanneOnline.blogspot.com
Add Thank You Reply
Ok now I’m leaning towards getting the windows. I guess I can always cover them if they bother me. Better to have then and not need them I guess.
Add Thank You Reply
When I had a cargo van with no windows, I added the RV style windows with the small side slider window section in the bottom. I loved them.

The cargo van I have now has side and rear windows but they don't open. If I could switch them out affordably I would do it in a heartbeat. If I didn't have those windows I would be installing the RV style windows again in this van.

I also have windows in the upper level in the fiberglass roof that came with the van. I won't ever be without them again...they're my favorite windows.

While I live mostly outdoors there are still days when it's cold/rainy/miserable that I end up indoors all day. Not being able to see out would be a definite bummer.

Like Suanne said, windows can be covered with curtains, reflectix when needed etc. but without windows there's not much you can do to improve the view.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
Because I love sitting in my van on a cold rainy or windy day and seeing outside, I went to the trouble making some nice window coverings. I cut reflectix to fit each window then I covered the inside with felt and lined all the edges with duct tape they fit right in. I also made a curtain that goes in between the cab and the back for better Insulation at night.
I have to be able to see outside, first thing I do in the morning in my apartment is open all the blinds. I love the Pacific Northwest and camping on the coast. If I didn't have any windows and the weather was bad that would be horrible! So what do you prefer living in a cave or or more of an open area.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Explore, Dream, Discover 
Add Thank You Reply