Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer brake controller install help
The connector you show is your OBD port for vehicle diagnostics.

Instead, look for this connector up under the dash, maybe hidden in between bundles of wiring:

Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply

I looked again.. this was all I could find that wasn't occupied...
16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
Add Thank You Reply
What is the relation of what's under the dash & what's at the back of the vehicle. A trailer package will come with some items plus the connector at the rear. Can a 4 pin at the rear be used like a 7 pin regarding brakes? Have all trailer packages the 7 pin?
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply

16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
Add Thank You Reply
(12-20-2017, 12:45 PM)rm.w/aview Wrote: What is the relation of what's under the dash & what's at the back of the vehicle. A trailer package will come with some items plus the connector at the rear. Can a 4 pin at the rear be used like a 7 pin regarding brakes? Have all trailer packages the 7 pin?

A good question, and I'm not entirely sure about the right answer. I'm going to guess no, the 4 pin cannot be used as a 7 pin. On the 7 pin however, you can buy a 4 pin adapter that just plugs into the 7 pin receptacle by the receiver hitch, then plug the 4 pin into it. That's what I did. I can now hook up to and tow both types. (As long as I don't lose my adapter that's floating around somewhere)
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
So a 4 pin at the rear will have little to do with an install of a brake controller at the dash without further wiring for the trailer with electric brakes.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
I have a2000 f150 with towing package and a 7 pin conector. when  
 I bought my brake cont the sals person asked what truck I had and looked up what adapter I wood need . went home mounted brake controller pluged adapter into controller truck harness was wire tied to brake leaver arm pluged them together and was ready to go. I would go to a parts store and get adapter and look for a matching plug under the dash.
Add Thank You Reply
a four pin plug will not be for use with trailer brakes at all. 4 pin will work just the lights..running , brake, turn signals etc.. but not for use with a trailer that has electric brakes
Add Thank You Reply
like I said before by careful with a Ford. there are two types of under dash wiring on Fords if you connect it wrong you will do serious damage. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. no you cannot use a 4way for trailer brakes. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(12-20-2017, 11:41 AM)WanderLoveJosh Wrote: I looked again.. this was all I could find that wasn't occupied...

That should be it..like HDR said, two different setups, and I have no idea when they changed the plugs.

I have been away from the computer all afternoon, sorry to have left you hanging.

That plug provides power when the ignition is on and a signal when the brake is applied. Of course the adapter will make the proper connections to the brake controller that you will need to buy.

If you have the 7-way plug at the back, this should be all you need, since the 7-way should have a blue wire for the electric brakes. 

Since I'm not hands-on with it, you need to double check things for your own peace of mind. Brakes are kinda important.

Cool
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
WanderLoveJosh (12-20-2017)