Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bare Plywood Subfloor - Treat?
Hi everyone,

I just cut my subfloor for my van. I want to keep it floating, no insulation, no glue, bolts or screws. I figure the cabinets and other stuff will hold it down.

The van floor allows for natural airways for ventilation but should I worry about condensation under the floor? If so should I treat the underside of the plywood with something to protect it?

Thanks,
Blake
Add Thank You Reply
the bottom should be fine. I would be more worried about the top. bare plywood stains real easy. I would seal it with something. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
(12-20-2017, 04:28 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: the bottom should be fine.  I would be more worried about the top.  bare plywood stains real easy.  I would seal it with something.  highdesertranger

Thanks! I left out the fact that I'm going to put down vinyl flooring on top of the plywood.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Bmotion for this post:
highdesertranger (12-20-2017)
Sounds really practical. Tough, easy to clean.
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
It would not hurt to coat all sides and edges of the fitted plywood. Wetness on the metal under the floor could effect the wood. Soo, the furniture holds the plywood down,. What holds the furniture in the never-to-happen collision?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
I put my plywood floor in mine 5 years ago. It got wet due to a leak and it's gonna be a bear to replace because I have to unbolt all those things holding it down. I wish I had sealed it. The next one will be sealed, both sides.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
(12-20-2017, 07:34 PM)Weight Wrote: It would not hurt to coat all sides and edges of the fitted plywood. Wetness on the metal under the floor could effect the wood. Soo, the furniture holds the plywood down,. What holds the furniture in the never-to-happen collision?

It would be bolted to the walls and the floors in certain areas. Just the floor would not be bolted. But the floor won’t move because if the fit
Add Thank You Reply
I found it easy to fasten the 3/4 plywood to a few well selected points on vans metal floor, then the furniture was fastened to the plywood with ease of correcting my "change orders" with a few wood screws. The furniture was fastened to the walls as well. Just under the windows.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
I've always treated all bare wood on any project for either protection or appearance. In your case the treatment would provide a good surface for your vinyl to adhere to, (unless it's floating, then it's for protection). Bare wood of any kind is absorbent, so I'd definitely treat all sides before installation. I just like to be prepared for what could, or very likely will, happen in the future.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rm.w/aview for this post:
Bmotion (12-21-2017)
Thanks! Any suggestions on what to treat the ply with? I looked at eurothane but it's pricy per gallon. I don't need a beautiful finish, just smooth on top.
Add Thank You Reply