Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Free Table in Ehrenberg! Volunteers needed to clean it up.
I can walk down there and check it out tomorrow and see what I can do but, I do not have the means to haul anything big or a lot of stuff. Maybe if we can get several people to help with taking care of it, can get it taken care of. Also, there is a lot of junk behind my campsite, most of it to large for me to haul out. It would be nice if we could reduce that trash to, if someone could help with that. I am in a gray Jeep with a small trailer on the same road as the table. I hope cleaning up some of this stuff would help with getting on the good side of the BLM
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Aaron2358 for this post:
free2enjoy (12-27-2017), NomadforNature (12-23-2017)
After reading this thread and my own experiences with what trash was already in the area when I arrived it occurred to me it would be a good practice to take a picture of the campsite and general area upon arrival. Take a pic of the site before you park or setup camp.

Take another pic after tearing down camp to document how you left it.

If you date time stamp the pics you will have a record of length of stay should that become an issue.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to dextours for this post:
Peggy McG (12-29-2017), frater secessus (12-28-2017), free2enjoy (12-27-2017), sbrenton (12-24-2017)
(12-22-2017, 08:36 PM)dextours Wrote: After reading this thread and my own experiences with what trash was already in the area when I arrived it occurred to me it would be a good practice to take a picture of the campsite and general area upon arrival. Take a pic of the site before you park or setup camp.

Take another pic after tearing down camp to document how you left it.

If you date time stamp the pics you will have a record of length of stay should that become an issue.

A very good point, I should of taken a picture. A newbie mistake.
Add Thank You Reply
There is a landfill transfer station in Ehrenberg...turn right at the mini mart and continue past the school, post office etc to the road immediately Before the John Deer dealership, turn right. The dump is a little ways out on the right. It is open Thurs, Fri & Sat....(it's open on days when the dump in Q is closed.) Not sure of the hours but possibly 7:30 til 2:30. The street sign is Transfer Rd ( I think) & there is a sign for the dump but it's hidden by a tall bush. I was in Ehrenberg for 3 yrs before I knew there was a dump there. Hope this is helpful to know.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to judyg for this post:
free2enjoy (12-27-2017), sbrenton (12-24-2017), Aaron2358 (12-23-2017), cyndi (12-23-2017), NomadforNature (12-23-2017), SondraRose (12-23-2017)
(12-22-2017, 08:20 PM)Aaron2358 Wrote: I can walk down there and check it out tomorrow and see what I can do but, I do not have the means to haul anything big or a lot of stuff. Maybe if we can get several people to help with taking care of it, can get it taken care of. Also, there is a lot of junk behind my campsite, most of it to large for me to haul out. It would be nice if we could reduce that trash to, if someone could help with that. I am in a gray Jeep with a small trailer on the same road as the table. I hope cleaning up some of this stuff would help with getting on the good side of the BLM

Thank you, it's not overwhelming as yet (at least I don't think so) and could be taken to a thrift store maybe in Blythe or Q. I just want it nipped before it gets out of hand. As long as a sign is there to ban anyone else from starting it up again, it can easily be remedied. If I have to I'll take the benches after Christmas, but it will be difficult for me on my own in my van, so I'm hoping someone else will step up for that. Quartzsite dump will not charge if they are told its desert clean up.
Again thank you. Let me know how it goes would ya please?
~ Insatiable is Not Sustainable ~ (Chevy AWD Astro Van with a 3" body lift, oversized tires and white in color; goes by the name of Studley Van)
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to NomadforNature for this post:
free2enjoy (12-27-2017)
Good information for everyone. Thank you. Maybe some people will be inspired to take a little bit extra trash from the desert with them. I've been told that the dump in Q will not charge if its desert clean-up.
~ Insatiable is Not Sustainable ~ (Chevy AWD Astro Van with a 3" body lift, oversized tires and white in color; goes by the name of Studley Van)
Add Thank You Reply
Just a heads up to all and a thank you. In the past, quite a few people have got together and done a cleanup. Last spring a group got rid of an old burned out trailer in Ehrenberg, and Bob and a crew of people cleaned up tons of trash in Ehrenberg before they left earlier this year (trash that had been left there by campers in January and February and from the free table), and what many have nick-named the YouTubers took two truckloads of stuff out from someplace before they set up camp just a few weeks ago. These are only the good deeds I've heard of, but I'm sure there are many, many more.
I love seeing this kind of effort, and if it's recorded and shared on YouTube I think its great because it sends the right message to all. All friends of the RTR should set an example of how to treat the land, by leaving it cleaner than we found it we show respect and appreciation for our public lands. We are so lucky to have so much space to enjoy for free, some other countries are not so lucky.
Thanks for being part of the solution, instead of the problem! Way to go!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to NomadforNature for this post:
free2enjoy (12-27-2017), Cammalu (12-23-2017), Genie (12-23-2017), SondraRose (12-23-2017), dawnann7 (12-23-2017)
In the past, I've known people who've left broken, totally unusable things at the RTR free pile because they have the authentic belief SOMEBODY will want it. I suggest those people put their items on display at their campsite/rig. Or take them to a charity/thrift store themselves.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
free2enjoy (12-27-2017), sbrenton (12-24-2017), cyndi (12-23-2017)
UPDATE - I decided to come to Ehrenberg to check on progress, and someone has taken away the car seats! Thank you soooooo much whoever you are.
There are a few things left on the table that I have boxed up, and a bag of trash. If anyone can help to get rid of the last of the stuff, it would be wonderful.
I have made a new sign and will make a better one that will last longer, stating that it is illegal to leave items there.
Again, thank you so much for your help!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to NomadforNature for this post:
dawnann7 (12-24-2017), Sleep (12-23-2017), highdesertranger (12-23-2017), StrayCat (12-23-2017), SondraRose (12-23-2017), tonyandkaren (12-23-2017)
You are awesome!! Thank you and thanks to everyone who helped and removed stuff!
We are still ways away and won't be in the area until the RTR.
So happy to see everyone come together and take care of this.

it's sad, that something that started so well, like the table, gets mistaken for an invitation to litter.

Hope it will be kept neat going forward.
save money on pet food: http://www.pennywisepaws.com
my RV and ramblings blog: http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com
Add Thank You Reply