Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Free Table in Ehrenberg! Volunteers needed to clean it up.
(12-22-2017, 03:47 PM)NomadforNature Wrote: I agree we should not assume its okay to leave anything other than what should be there naturally, because it isn't, and it's unlawful, but if it comes down to choices, take this or take that? I will take the worst away first, which is better than doing nothing. 
I also hope that someone wants that table gone badly enough to find someone with a truck and strong arms to take care of it, because I know I can't do it, I can't even find anyone to haul the chairs away, which is a much easier job. 
Thanks for your input, glad to know that you practice leave-no-trace ethics and leave it better than you found it, I thank you on behalf of everyone.

All I've heard on this forum is that no one of us was there when the table was erected.  I understand it is not a dump station.  I don't know what it is, but I wasn't there when it was erected.  I have heard a lot of good natured people talking about taking it down.  
Please remember we are the visitors.  We don't live here.  That is at the heart of the matter isn't it?  Since campers didn't build the table, that leaves the Locals.  I have heard they use it for meetings.  I have not heard about campers being involved in those meetings.  Of course we should clean up after ourselves, but taking down the table would seem to be crossing some boundary with the locals that may cause a lot more harm than was ever intended.

Of course this could all be B.S.!  But shouldn't we find out before we tear down what others have built?
La Tortuga Abides,

Who knew that becoming a "Human Being" takes practice?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to La Tortuga for this post:
Txjaybird (12-28-2017)
(12-23-2017, 03:02 PM)MrNoodly Wrote: In the past, I've known people who've left broken, totally unusable things at the RTR free pile because they have the authentic belief SOMEBODY will want it. I suggest those people put their items on display at their campsite/rig. Or take them to a charity/thrift store themselves.

Ah yes, that is the nature of the beast, you should see what thrift stores have to contend with. I think I might need help keeping the free tarp organized this year at the RTR as there will be a lot more people than the last two years by the sounds of it. Does anyone want to offer to help me?
~ Insatiable is Not Sustainable ~ (Chevy AWD Astro Van with a 3" body lift, oversized tires and white in color; goes by the name of Studley Van)
Add Thank You Reply
(12-23-2017, 05:12 PM)NomadforNature Wrote: UPDATE - I decided to come to Ehrenberg to check on progress, and someone has taken away the car seats! Thank you soooooo much whoever you are.
There are a few things left on the table that I have boxed up, and a bag of trash. If anyone can help to get rid of the last of the stuff, it would be wonderful.
I have made a new sign and will make a better one that will last longer, stating that it is illegal to leave items there.
Again, thank you so much for your help!

I took the seats and a busted screen tent a long with so junk from behind my campsite to the landfill transfer station. I also wrote on a paper towel not to  leave any more donation. I picked up some paper on my way back to camp but, I did not rewiter the note yet. I did leave the stuff on the table for now.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 12 users say Thank You to Aaron2358 for this post:
Txjaybird (12-28-2017), RossCoe (12-27-2017), free2enjoy (12-27-2017), tonyandkaren (12-26-2017), jimindenver (12-25-2017), Sleep (12-25-2017), StrayCat (12-25-2017), highdesertranger (12-24-2017), cyndi (12-24-2017), SondraRose (12-24-2017), NomadforNature (12-23-2017), Cammalu (12-23-2017)
(12-22-2017, 03:47 PM)NomadforNature Wrote: I agree we should not assume its okay to leave anything other than what should be there naturally, because it isn't, and it's unlawful, but if it comes down to choices, take this or take that? I will take the worst away first, which is better than doing nothing. 
If someone wants that table gone badly enough to find someone with a truck and strong arms to take care of it, it's up to them, because I know I can't do it, I can't even find anyone to haul the chairs away, which is a much easier job. 
Thanks for your input, glad to know that you practice leave-no-trace ethics and leave it better than you found it, I thank you on behalf of everyone.
~ Insatiable is Not Sustainable ~ (Chevy AWD Astro Van with a 3" body lift, oversized tires and white in color; goes by the name of Studley Van)
Add Thank You Reply
Aaron, thank you so much for your help with this, I and many others truly appreciate it. I saw your paper towel note, and thanks for that also. I have replaced the sign but will improve on it some more when I have the right materials. Thank you again.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to NomadforNature for this post:
Aaron2358 (12-24-2017)
All stuff has gone, I made a new sign that won't fade or blow away. Thanks to everyone who helped. We did it!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 13 users say Thank You to NomadforNature for this post:
frater secessus (12-28-2017), Suanne (12-27-2017), free2enjoy (12-27-2017), jimindenver (12-26-2017), cyndi (12-26-2017), Headache (12-26-2017), Almost There (12-26-2017), Sleep (12-25-2017), StrayCat (12-25-2017), dawnann7 (12-25-2017), Cammalu (12-24-2017), highdesertranger (12-24-2017), SondraRose (12-24-2017)
big thanks to everybody that stepped up and made this happen. good karma is coming your way. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Yep, what highdesertranger said! ^
save money on pet food: http://www.pennywisepaws.com
my RV and ramblings blog: http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com
Add Thank You Reply
Comments/thoughts on what La Tortuga posted above???? If campers didn't put the table up, it should be left imo regardless of whether it's convenient for campers or not (otoh, if a camper did originally put the table up; locals would probably be glad to see it go).
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply
So ask one of the rangers if they want it there.  Doest matter what anyone else wants - locals or visitors.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to geogentry for this post:
rvpopeye (12-27-2017), SondraRose (12-26-2017)