Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One pound tanks
I have seen Bob and others say that using a one pound refillable tank is better for the Mr Buddy than the green cans. More economical.

The question is, has anyone had trouble getting these little cans refilled? Will most places fill them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoboSteve
1993 Jamboree Searcher 24'
Add Thank You Reply
The common, inexpensive, one pound green bottles are not considered legally refillable.

There are some exceptions. 

You can buy some now that have a special valve and supply tank fitting, like the Flame King, but they cost more than the disposable bottles, and you need to have a 20# supply tank. 

You can also buy a refill adapter to refill the common one pound bottles from a 20 pound tank, but these become technically illegal to transport across state lines. 

So basically the answer is no, you can't take them anywhere (legal) to get them refilled.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
heron (01-08-2018)
I believe Stephen is talking about the refillable 1lb bottles. I don't have one myself but have seen them being refilled at numerous stations. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Ah....a one pound tank with an OPD valve?

I have never used those, but would assume any propane tank or bottle with an OPD valve would be refillable, somewhere. 

I would also assume there would be a minimum charge to refill, making them less economical than the one pound green bottles. 

But if anyone finds a place that will refill them very cheaply, let us know!

It would be much simpler and easier I would think to buy a slightly larger refillable tank, such as a one gallon model. One pound of propane won't run a Mr Buddy for more than a few hours.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-23-2017, 12:48 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: I believe Stephen is talking about the refillable 1lb bottles.  I don't have one myself but have seen them being refilled at numerous stations.  highdesertranger

A company called Flame King has a kit ($45) that includes a filler valve, one small tank and a stand for a 20lb tank. Got mine at REI. Tanks are DOT ok for transport and refilling.

LB
Add Thank You Reply
(12-23-2017, 10:55 AM)Stephen Wrote: The question is, has anyone had trouble getting these little cans refilled? Will most places fill them?

They connect to appliances exactly like disposables.  The threads on the top of the tank match the green disposable one pound cans.   That means the top of the tank will not connect at a regular propane refill station.  You buy the refilling kit and a 20 pound tank and do it yourself.  

The legal trick is that the tank has an OPD (overfill prevention device) and a dip tube to sample the contents at the correct depth.  

The dip tube sample port is probably how the pressure in the small tank gets reduced to get liquid to flow from the 20 pounder into the one pound tank without a pump.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
The DOT-legal 1# re-fillables can legally be refilled at a place that charges by the gallon or pound, but

they need to be aware of that fact, and

if they don't have the correct adapter (from QCC1/ACME to Coleman-style 1"-20), then you'll need to carry one with you

Fact is that 1# is so little, doing it that way would be very inconvenient for everyone involved.

Best IMO to use a 20# BBQ bottle to buy your propane, get the full refilling kit, and learn how to use it safely **outside** yourself.
Add Thank You Reply
Some 1 pound tanks are filled by a different method than larger propane tanks. Drift method versus pump.
Add Thank You Reply
you know what I misread. I was thinking about the 5lb bottles which are about 1 gallon. I have never seen the 1lb bottles. the 5lb have the standard valve, those are the ones I seen them filling. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(12-23-2017, 10:55 AM)Stephen Wrote: I have seen Bob and others say that using a one pound refillable tank is better for the Mr Buddy than the green cans. More economical.

The question is, has anyone had trouble getting these little cans refilled? Will most places fill them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 1 lb tank will only run my Mr. Buddy on low for about 5 to 6 hours.

My 20 lb tank ran the heater (high/low/pilot etc) for 9 solid days of cold rainy weather from about 11 to 12 hours a day. I finally ran out at 10 AM on the 10th day as I was packing to leave the campground.

There is no way that using 1 lb tanks will ever be more economical than using a larger tank. Even if you can get them filled for the same price per gallon, you have to factor in the cost of going to get them filled. Or, if you're using ones that you refill yourself from the 20 lb tank, you  have to factor in your time and the fact that you are now carrying both the 20 lb tank and a bunch of small ones.

It is necessary to use a Mr. Buddy filter in line with the hose if you're using the 20 lb tank or use a Mr. Buddy hose. This is to prevent the heater from clogging from particles in standard hoses. The filter should be replaced approximately yearly but that depends on how much it's used.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply