Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generator
Might sound like a dumb question, but is being plugged into a running generator essentially the same as being plugged into shore power like running electrical outlets in the travel trailer and charging it's battery?
thanks.
Add Thank You Reply
Like everything, it depends.  Short answer, probably yes.  

The generator might not have enough juice to run everything all at the same time.  A 3 way ammonia fridge set to 120 volts will increase gasoline use but save propane.  Air conditioning might have problems.  A big battery charger might not be happy with an inverter generaror eco mode.   That's easy to turn off if it causes a problem.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
Depends on the output wattage of the generator.

A genset in the 1000 watt range will run items like TVs, radios, laptops, cpaps, fans, small appliances, things that don't heat or cool. 

2000 watt gensets will usually run a microwave, A/C, one space heater, electric hotplate, etc, but normally only one at a time, plus any of the previous items.

3000 watt and up, you can start to run a combination of items above, but not likely to run 2 or more roof A/C units at the same time. 

4000 watt gensets will power a typical small to medium size RV and almost everything you would like to run will have no problem, although if you try to run 2 1500 watt space heaters AND a microwave at the same time, the circuits or the genset might get overloaded. But you would be able to easily power a large roof A/C unit and a microwave plus a variety of multiple small appliances, listed above. 

Just FYI: 3000 and 4000 watt generators tend to be noisy, expensive, and heavy.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
free2enjoy (12-23-2017)
I’ve got a Generac 2000 watt inverter generator. It’s been very good and is about half the price of the Honda.
Add Thank You Reply
So with the above info considered, yes. The generator provides the 110 for your needs, within the 15, 20, or 30 amp limits set by the generator.
Cheers, Rick
Add Thank You Reply
Note that something rated as "2000" is likely being "marketing-optimistic", maybe can handle that many watts as a very brief transient peak.

Look on the specs sheet for actual **continuous** supported load, and then take off 15-25%, less for Honda more for cheapies, to be more realistic.

You don't want to run the genny at max capacity load for hours, better to buy the next one up and chug along more comfortably at 60-80%.

Getting two units that parallel together gives a lot of flexibility and redundancy.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
free2enjoy (12-23-2017)
Yes I was referring to continuous duty ratings in my previous post. I should have stated that.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(12-23-2017, 11:09 AM)hausmutti Wrote: Might sound like a dumb question, but is being plugged into a running generator essentially the same as being plugged into shore power like running electrical outlets in the travel trailer and charging it's battery?
thanks.

Not a dumb question at all.  I've been wondering the same thing.  We finally decided on a generator, but I have MANY questions, that others will consider dumb.  Glad you asked
I can only answer "yes" to the power outlets, as when running the break in period of our new generator, I plugged in my wax scent device & it worked.  Don't laugh, I'm a woman, I want my RV to smell good too  Blush
We're all in such a hurry to get where everyone else has been, we forget to enjoy the beauty around us, in our own backyard
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to The Old Farmers Wife for this post:
hausmutti (12-29-2017)
A dumb question what is a wax scent device? My bachelor pad on wheels can get a little funky and I would like to present a pleasant environment smell wise.
I will still have an empty passenger seat leaving on the 7th
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 11:35 AM)The Old Farmers Wife Wrote: Not a dumb question at all.  I've been wondering the same thing.  We finally decided on a generator, but I have MANY questions, that others will consider dumb.  Glad you asked
I can only answer "yes" to the power outlets, as when running the break in period of our new generator, I plugged in my wax scent device & it worked.  Don't laugh, I'm a woman, I want my RV to smell good too  Blush

I have a 12V essential oil diffuser that works well in the van or travel trailer.
Add Thank You Reply