Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flat bed e350 to camper van
I found a really good deal locally on a flat bed e350, its basically in mint condition and the guy simply needs some cash and has little use for it. Ive been watching the deals on vans and I think I can really save several thousands by converting the the flat bed into a box or bus body. 

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck searching for any tutorials or guides on how to do this. anyone here have any experience doing this or knows where I can learn how to? perhaps you know of places that do this at a reasonable cost? 

I realize this would be a whole headache but its also a good opportunity to get to inspect the body of the van in ways not possible without the conversion and perhaps do some custom work that wouldn't be worth doing otherwise. 

Any help would be appreciated

I attached a couple of images to give an idea of the vehicles I'm talking about

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
Thats cool....have you thought about removing the deck and then having a Spartan or Rockport box installed on it?
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
Vanalist (12-26-2017)
(12-26-2017, 11:52 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Thats cool....have you thought about removing the deck and then having a Spartan or Rockport box installed on it?

The truck is a mid 90s model e350. Do spartan or rockport retailers still work on these trucks? I could't find any pricing information or places that do the conversion. I think with a decent guide, I may be able to do the work myself but without any experience I can't say for sure, im still in the dark on how difficult this would be.
Add Thank You Reply
That flatbed is HUGE! Cool. You could have a home and a back garage for your motorcycle
: lifted and lowered with a jib crane and a winch, inexpensively and secure (no one is going to climb that monster poking around Big Grin

The dually rear wheels are nice, but keep an eye on license restrictions from State to State if you need a Commercial license or not (like California :-(

You have the most options of all. But you also have a lot of homework to do just to be legal with all the State DMV's you frequent. I'm jealous. Good luck!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-26-2017, 01:12 PM)breeze Wrote: That flatbed is HUGE! Cool. You could have a home and a back garage for your motorcycle
: lifted and lowered with a jib crane and a winch, inexpensively and secure (no one is going to climb that monster poking around Big Grin

The dually rear wheels are nice, but keep an eye on license restrictions from State to State if you need a Commercial license or not (like California :-(

You have the most options of all. But you also have a lot of homework to do just to be legal with all the State DMV's you frequent. I'm jealous. Good luck!

the crane idea sounds like a dream! I do have M licence. Thanks for the heads up on the dually DMV restrictions, still havent found a straight answer but still looking. I live in PA. Youre right, lots of homework to do. Right now im focus on seeing if it makes financial sense to convert. seems like it should be, but there is so little info out there on the cost. The more I look at this, the more I think that it would be worth paying for someone to do it. The problem is who? I contacted http://www.unicell.com/ since they are the only ones that mention installing a box body on a USED truck. We will see what they reply and Ill make sure to post it here for anyone else that ever gets this crazy idea.
Add Thank You Reply
what's a dually restriction? never heard of that one. I have a line on a U-Haul box I will see if I can find the thread. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Vanalist (12-26-2017)
here it is,

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/show...?tid=20985

highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Check out JYDOG on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMDhGK...-uhjpIY8Mw

10 foot box van turned, and still turning, into a sweet compact little camper.

If I remember right, he slapped the box onto the cutaway all by himself at his home.  Mind you he has some pretty legit seat-of-the-pants make-it-up-as-you-go engineering skills.  He's a handy fella and has a nice set of tools for a home-gamer but he was absolutely not operating out of a professional shop.

If I remember right....  No guarantees!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to AJ452 for this post:
Vanalist (12-26-2017)
CALIFORNIA
For California:
CDL required for:

• Vehicles with a GVWR > 26,000 pounds.

• Vehicles designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers (including driver) for hire.

• Vehicles towing a vehicle or trailer with GVWR > 10,000 pounds.

• Vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placards.

• Vehicles towing two trailers or trailer and vehicle.

• Notes: Recreational not-for-hire travel trailers > 10,000 pounds GVWR and fifth-wheels > 15,000 pounds GVWR require a non-commercial Class A, as do livestock trailers > 10,000 pounds but < 15,000 pounds GVWR operated within 150 miles of the (home) farm to transport livestock.

I don't know. It makes my head hurt though. Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to breeze for this post:
Vanalist (12-26-2017)
(12-26-2017, 04:57 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: here it is,

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/show...?tid=20985

highdesertranger

thanks for the reply, CA too far away. I was thinking of trying to find something a little lighter and in better shape too. Someone else shared JYDOG youtube channel and it seems like its a doable job. Would still love to find a place to do it, I just dont have those heavy duty tools. I have a nice setup for carpentry, can do pluming and am above average on electrical but ive never welded or cut through a chassis before. Still seems doable though, very tempted to pull trigger
thanks for the reply!
Add Thank You Reply