Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
thoughts on these for first dwelling?
I am actively looking for a van to be purchased quickly if possible. I have one day to have my dad with me to go look at them, and I just want some thoughts and opinions from experienced people. This would be very helpful and wholeheartedly appreciated! I am looking to part-time until I have to go all out full-time.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/...93266.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...23618.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/...71126.html
Add Thank You Reply
Out of the three I like the Chinook.

But being in a hurry is opposed to getting good deals.

Forget Dad, at that price level take it to a trusted mechanic to go through, safety suspension steering and drivetrain stuff.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
bethiebugs (12-26-2017)
I definitely plan on it! I have a good mechanic here who is very thorough. My dad is just helping with the social and communication support as I have trouble with this a lot due to my Autism issues. Thanks for your input!!!!
Add Thank You Reply
Fwiw, look at newer cargo vans in that price range to see how much newer, lower mileage you can get for $10k. Then you could do the interior slowly, lower cost, fun project, etc... 
In the long run, better way to go if you don't mind a project. Those class b while probably in good shape are still 20 yrs old mechanically. Repairs which can be costly would come with the package. Look up class b issues on line to get an idea of common repairs and costs. Lots of stuff in there which generally has a lifespan. 20 yrs or so?
The newer high top is great, except for the mileage and repairs that will go with it.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
Nissi (12-30-2017), bethiebugs (12-26-2017)
I'm just curious why the high top#2 has new headlights and new grill. Was it in a wreck? Just a thought...
On the journey of a lifetime!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-26-2017, 09:15 PM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: Fwiw, look at newer cargo vans in that price range to see how much newer, lower mileage you can get for $10k. Then you could do the interior slowly, lower cost, fun project, etc... 
In the long run, better way to go if you don't mind a project. Those class b while probably in good shape are still 20 yrs old mechanically. Repairs which can be costly would come with the package. Look up class b issues on line to get an idea of common repairs and costs. Lots of stuff in there which generally has a lifespan. 20 yrs or so?
The newer high top is great, except for the mileage and repairs that will go with it.

Yeah--this is what I was wondering and considering...I've found maybe one or two 2006-2008 cargo vans with closer to 100,000-150,000 miles for that price (without the hightop, but ya can't have everything!), and honestly I would probably enjoy doing it myself and learning things as I go. So thank you for your perspective, as I'm thinking this is what resonates with me, too.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-26-2017, 09:30 PM)Sleep Wrote: I'm just curious why the high top#2 has new headlights and new grill. Was it in a wreck? Just a thought...

Yeah....I was wondering that, too...sounds like they rushed through that statement a little too fast...
Add Thank You Reply
The hightop itself is worth $2-3K, so only sacrifice getting that if you're sure you don't want it, or get such a cherry deal it's worth paying that much to add it after-market.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-26-2017, 09:30 PM)Sleep Wrote: I'm just curious why the high top#2 has new headlights and new grill. Was it in a wreck? Just a thought...

My guess would be the headlights, along with the grill, had highway pitting. Those years, the headlights are nearly impossible to restore (personal experience), so they may have opted to replace.

Good luck with shopping!
Exclamation And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. — Abraham Lincoln
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to CautionToTheWind for this post:
bethiebugs (12-27-2017)
I like the RoadTrek. Don't know why they are conflating it with Chinook.
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
bethiebugs (12-27-2017)