Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chevy Express question
I’m looking at Chevy Express vans and wanted to know the pros / cons of the 1500 with the v6 versus the 2500 with the v8. Is the v6 strong enough? Won’t be towing anything and like to move more often than most people.  Any help is appreciated.
Add Thank You Reply
I have the 4.8l v8 and it seems great.
My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgC2to...7jVUaY9mzg
Featuring various aspects of living in a van.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to One Awesome Inch for this post:
frater secessus (12-29-2017), gallahadion (12-28-2017)
Is this new or used?

I don't think you can still get them new with a V-6 but maybe so.

I would not buy a full size van with a V-6, but that's just my preference. You just don't have much extra power for passing and climbing hills if you are fully loaded, and you can only tow smaller trailers.

I had a Chevy V-6 pickup and it was ok in town, but was sorely lacking on the highway, and struggled pulling a 1000 pound trailer up any kind of grade.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
gallahadion (12-28-2017)
(12-28-2017, 02:19 PM)gallahadion Wrote: I’m looking at Chevy Express vans and wanted to know the pros / cons of the 1500 with the v6 versus the 2500 with the v8. Is the v6 strong enough? Won’t be towing anything and like to move more often than most people.  Any help is appreciated.

I have a 98 Dodge 1500 with a V8 and wouldn't ever go smaller. Next van I get is a min 2500 or 3500....All with V8....
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Wanderer for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
it's very easy to overload a 1/2 ton. it's not all about towing. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
And mpg isn't that much better in real conditions
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
I would not go v6
I have a 3500 v8 and I honestly could not imagine a v6 in my van
as I have the 155 inch wheel base too.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Teammuir1 for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
V6 versus V8 is a holy war along the lines of 9mm vs .45, synthetic vs. dino, etc.  I'd compare reliability and MPG if I were making the decision on economy.

I do agree with HDR about the load-carrying aspect of a 1500.

Quote:And mpg isn't that much better in real conditions

True, but at low MPG ratings small changes can make a considerable difference.  A quick look over real world Fuelly numbers suggests that on the Express 2500 there is a ~2.0 mpg difference between V6 engines and V8 engines, about 15% difference in that case.

The 280hp V6 in my van is, IMO, overpowered.    I would have gone diesel if they weren't so expensively hamstrung with emissions these days.  :-(
frater/jason @ RTR 1000ft E of main camp on "dark blue" road
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
2mpg difference as $/month is not IMO worth the loss in functionality.

And I bet longevity difference as well
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)
I have a 2500 with the 5.7L engine and live in/travel through mountains on a regular basis.

I would never try to put it through what I do with a 6 cyl engine in it. As it is, I'm kind to the engine and let it take it's time up the grades. Sometimes it means that the only thing I'm passing on a hill is a fully loaded fuel tandem or occasionally a tandem log hauler....  Big Grin 

The 2500 is heavy enough to haul a decent sized trailer and handle the interior I built in to it. A 3500 sometimes gets you in to trouble with insurance since it seems that most insurance companies automatically classify it as a commercial vehicle...check DMV and insurance regs before you buy. A 1500 won't take to hauling much and you'd have to be careful about the interior weight.

I wouldn't ever recommend a 6 cyl engine in a full size van...back in the 70's I had a 1961 Ford Econoline with the small 6....always the last one to the party and that was on flat ground... Rolleyes  The '61 was probably 70% (if that) of the weight of the new modern full size vans and it could hardly pull itself let alone anything else.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
gallahadion (12-29-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chevy Express 2500 question SilverVoyager 11 896 10-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: SilverVoyager