Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chevy Express question
I can share my own experience---we have a 2005 Chevy Express 1500 conversion van with the v6. We purchased it not because we wanted a v6 but the body and interior had everything we were looking for and the price and condition of it was very good. 

We took out all seats except the back bench that folds into bed and added only minimal lightweight equipment for sleeping/camping part time. We had it weighed recently at 5900 lbs. at a weigh station which, I believe for a full size van, is exceptionally light. We do not tow anything. It has gotten over 19 mpg highway under ideal conditions (no elevation change, no wind, etc), but usually averages around 16 mpg around town and 18.5 highway, without the a/c running.

The v6 has been perfectly adequate for our needs but there are huge caveats to this statement -- we travel and camp very lightly, live in NJ so usually don't need to worry about powering up steep elevations (even traveling around PA and upper NY it did OK), and drive pretty conservatively. Also, I have always owned smaller vehicles (never owned anything larger than a v6 turbo) so have low expectations--going slower when climbing hills and having to allow more open roadway before passing vehicles (ie, you don't miss what you have never had).

However, when we took it to the White Mountains, where the elevation changes are much more considerable, the van struggled to keep a decent speed on roads with higher grades. When we are ready to go out west and live full-time in our vehicle, we really will be considering upgrading to a vehicle with a larger engine.
Experiencing short-term vehicular nirvana in 
our 2005 Chevy 1500 conversion van, Boris.
Add Thank You Reply
I recently bought a 2017 4.8 liter. Now you can only get the Express in 2500 and 3500 now. The smaller 1500 version is smaller and is called a City I think. I'm getting around 15 to 16 MPG right now. Still a very new engine.
Current Step: Got my van! Now what!?????Exclamation
Wherever you go, there you are.
May the Bacon be with you.
Add Thank You Reply
I can’t speak to the Express, but I have many miles under my belt in Ford V6 E-150 and V8 Club Wagon vans doing delivery work. The V6 made enough power for my travels around Maine, but not more than an adequate amount. The V8 always had plenty of power for whatever I wanted to do.

BUT, the V6 van had a much softer, more comfortable ride, while the V8 Club Wagon was harsher and uncomfortable at times. No doubt the Club Wagon could handle more weight, and that weight would smooth out the ride. But there’s more to the equation than engine alone. It’s a significant factor, but different versions have very different suspensions too.
- Justin
Add Thank You Reply
2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8... we run just under GVWR and for two seasons towed a ~2500lb fiberglass trailer and had no issue going uphill and ~55/60 (we cruz since we're not in a rush) and then pass uphill excellerating to ~70mph with ease towing trailer. It has been a great rig.
On the WET! Coast of Oregon
2017 Ram Promaster 159WB HR camping conversion
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to accrete for this post:
earthling (01-09-2018)
(01-07-2018, 09:38 PM)accrete Wrote: 2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8... we run just under GVWR and for two seasons towed a ~2500lb fiberglass trailer and had no issue going uphill and ~55/60 (we cruz since we're not in a rush) and then pass uphill excellerating to ~70mph with ease towing trailer. It has been a great rig.

exactly what i heard too from my friend who is going to help me find one for a good price.  i wont settle for less and i wont need the 6.0L.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to breaker1nine for this post:
accrete (01-08-2018)
(01-07-2018, 09:38 PM)accrete Wrote: 2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8... we run just under GVWR and for two seasons towed a ~2500lb fiberglass trailer and had no issue going uphill and ~55/60 (we cruz since we're not in a rush) and then pass uphill excellerating to ~70mph with ease towing trailer. It has been a great rig.

what a relief to see your post!  I just bought an 08 chev express 1500 v8 5.3L 301hp (although i don't see ppl mentioning hp here) with 61K miles on it.  i  took it on it's first 500m round trip voyage (no tow)...i'm in AZ and although just a few "hills" through globe, az area, it didn't skip a beat.  i loved the power and handling.  my daily driver is an 01 mazda miata so the van is like a big camper rv to me...lol.  anyway, i am looking at buying a 16' scamp camper (fiberglass), 1500 lbs (who knows how much crap i'll load it up with)... thanks for your post  Smile
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to earthling for this post:
accrete (01-09-2018)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chevy Express 2500 question SilverVoyager 11 915 10-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: SilverVoyager