Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiny Electric Fireplace... Thoughts?
Hi Yall,

I was browsing Amazon today and came across this mini 9" portable heater that has the visuals of a fireplace.  I LOVE the visuals/feel/sounds of real fires and wondered if this was something I could get that impact from in a small space/rig.  My question:  is this something that is do-able?  I want to be running on mostly solar (eventually) but right now my solar knowledge is very low.  Could this be be run using a modest solar rig or is it something I'd need a massive solar setup(or hookups) to run effectively?   In addition to this, what are yall's general thoughts on the little unit?  I've also thought about installing a CubicMini, the real deal woodburning version.  Maybe I could get both?

Thanks!

P.S.  For context: My plan is to get an 18-23ft rig (open to b, b+, c, schoolie, or box truck conversion) and spend a chunk of the winter in the mts (lover of skiing, snowshoeing, winter hiking, sledding).
Add Thank You Reply
The heater is cute but at 1250 watts you are going to need around 1500 watts of solar to run it during the peak of the day and a LOT of battery to run it all night.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
AdventurousAdriana (12-28-2017)
In general, it's not practical to run any sort of electric heater (or an AC) using solar. You'd need two roof's worth of panels and a ton of batteries.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
On shore power hookups it would run fine...but on solar power in winter, not practical at all unless you want to spend a LOT of money on a solar array, batteries, and inverter. 

When you use the term 'modest' in regards to solar, I tend to think of 200-400 watts as 'modest' and that's just not enough.

A Wave 3 or Wave 6 will provide a good amount of heat at a reasonable cost, and yeah it's not a roaring 'fake' fire, but it will keep you warm and will work without any DC, at night, and at high altitudes.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks yall! Then it's a no-go for me. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
I saw a video on you tube by Enigmatic Nomad (?) at a van build party where they put in a cubic mini into a van build.  Lots to take into consideration but it looked do able from what I saw on the video.  (Actually it looked pretty cool)  Consider that this will take up some room.  You will need clear space around the mini and its stove pipe for safety consideration.  Also take into consideration fuel for your mini.  It wont take much to heat a small vehicle but if your keeping it heated ALL winter that could be a lot of wood.  And most states frown very heavily on taking wood across state lines.  (pests and disease)

And what they said about an electric heater.

Bob has a couple video giving review of the wave heaters on youtube.  He does an unboxing of one and explains the whole thing and why he chose it instead of one of the Buddy heaters.  Good info from him.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to geogentry for this post:
Go to Youtube and download a looping fireplace video and then burn it to DVD. Now you have a fireplace with crackling sounds you can play on your TV and not have a huge amp draw. You won't have the heat but you'll have the visual and sounds.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
RVTravel (12-28-2017), AdventurousAdriana (12-28-2017)
Geogentry- Yeah I watched that video... it was awesome! I've also watched all the vids that Justincredible has done on his kimberly and cubic mini. I'm very willing to dedicate a space to it since it's kinda (oddly) important to me. I have not thought about taking the wood over state lines and the implications that would have... I'll look into it further.

Motrukdriver- haha yes! In fact, I already do that in my sticks and bricks and put that on as I go to bed (along with cedarwood aromatherapy). Unless I find a better option I'll keep doing that once I transition into mobile living in the next few months
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2017, 06:17 PM)AdventurousAdriana Wrote: I have not thought about taking the wood over state lines and the implications that would have... I'll look into it further.
I was going to suggest wood pellets but the manufacturer had this to say about fuel:

You can also use pressed wood logs and even charcoal works as well. You cannot use pellets what so ever

So you could just have a small bag of charcoal available so that you would have fuel after you relocate to a new state until you can gather up some wood.  A fuel reserve so to speak.  You get ready to move - dump the wood you have - move - park - and if there is not enough time to gather wood (ie.  no sun left, hard to hunt in the dark) - fire up a wee bit of your fuel reserve until you can get out to hunt.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
(12-28-2017, 06:17 PM)AdventurousAdriana Wrote: Motrukdriver- haha yes!  In fact, I already do that in my sticks and bricks and put that on as I go to bed (along with cedarwood aromatherapy).  Unless I find a better option I'll keep doing that once I transition into mobile living in the next few months

I have that going at home on an old 32" tube type TV that works great but can't get rid of.  I even had it running in my big truck for years.  I also downloaded 2 different aquarium videos and burned them to DVD as well.  No dead fish or cleaning the tank or feeding them.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply