Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land to make a new truly free place
geogentry brought up a good point about access. my sister lives in Oregon there are 8 houses in her neighborhood. the lots are all about 40 acres for a total of 320 acres, 1/2 section. this 1/2 section is completely surrounded by BLM land. a requirement to get access through BLM they had to form an HOA. the BLM reviews the rules of the HOA every 2 years and have imposed restrictions as far as access roads. there is only one legal access road and the BLM tells them what type of road and how to maintain it. I am just saying there are a lot of hidden issue with this type of situation. any government agency that can get their nose in it will. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
rvpopeye (12-30-2017), wagoneer (12-29-2017), cyndi (12-29-2017)
^^^ The realities of modern day life, society and how we have evolved. The romantic notion of a nomadic tribe and property is idyllic. Look how well communes worked in the 60s and why we have so many today.

Planning a community is the reality of this, with many aspects to consider; logistics, governance, egos, personal choice, obligations, local realities, etc...

It's a great idea, possible with compromises which then will make it less attractive. Will have to be way out in the boonies, far from neighbors, smaller group be more realistic. 

Can be done, but will require probably more money than originally thought, more limitations, obligations, etc... Zoning and local laws will come into play, like it or not. They will introduce themselves and show you the way forward. Just like Frater's reality.

Once upon a time, that is how the world was, common and possible. That ship has sailed. Unfortunately.

Many are doing it today but without structure, permanent location, organization, and being nomadic in the Southwest, under the radar. 
Can't have it all in life.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
simply lesa (12-29-2017)
It definitely can be done. Organization comes first. Check out co-housing for a successful model on a full construction cooperative.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
I once thought that "owning" some rural property would let me do just about whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. This is what everyone wants to, and wants _you_ to believe. Ya, whatever.

I am now completely jaded by the whole thing, and am looking to cash out and search out other unconventional living arrangements like many others here.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to WanderingCanuck for this post:
frater secessus (12-30-2017)
the vast majority of communes failed. very few from the 60's are still around today. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Why not just make it an RV park? Many are owned by the residents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
GypsySpirit (12-30-2017), frater secessus (12-30-2017)
Having looked into this it is a can of worms, I have given up on owning land and expecting to have it "my way" Rules and Regs predominate the landscape. Not saying to give it up
but could turn into a full time battle. An Official RV park stands a chance.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
Hmm since I'm not interested in really starting a business, but I do understand the legal mechanisms of business entities. I wonder if setting up an RV park but charging a ceremonial amount per year (ie less than 20 bucks a year) would work.

Also it seems like doing something like this is much easier than ever because there's kickstarter and gofundme.
Add Thank You Reply
If you don't approach it the same way you would a for-profit very unlikely to be viable.

Most businesses make low margins anyway.

Maybe a co-op structure, any real profits distributed as dividends to members, but you'd still need a solid biz model, lots of capital, detailed plans and most especially good lawyers on tap.

Anything innovative in land use is very likely to be fought tooth and nail by TPTB.
Add Thank You Reply
Most of the communes of the 60s failed because they poisoned themselves....completely ignorant of septic systems and hygiene.

Of those that managed to be self-sustaining...most were owned by one person, or one couple that created legal deeded access or rightofway to "members" who met requirements.
I know of one that still exist today....they are full-blown enterprise in music and arts
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying land in Arizona or Nevada tamm 42 9,071 04-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Alcatraz