Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land to make a new truly free place
I can only see two ways to make it work. First would be a private members only RV park. The second, become a church. Whole different rules apply to churches. I can see it now, Church of the Rolling Wheels.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
dawnann7 (12-31-2017), frater secessus (12-31-2017), CautionToTheWind (12-31-2017)
(12-29-2017, 08:57 AM)frater secessus Wrote: I live on 3 acres of land (family property) in a rural county and fully intended to retire there. 

******************************************************************************************************************
FS,

THIS MAKES ME WONDER WHERE THE  $$$$$$ ARE COMING FROM...........WHAT DOES YOUR AREA HAVE THAT "SOMEONE " WANTS?  ANY NEW SURVEYING PROJECTS?  A NEW LAWYER OR REAL ESTATE AGENCY SETTING UP SHOP?   

Police department has two new vehicles, which is one more than the number of police officers.  Code enforcement has a new vehicle.  Code enforcement, in a tiny, poor hamlet where the average property value (house and land) is less than $50,000.    The water department (two people) has a new vehicle.  We built a children's playground (~60k) which is unused because kids have land to play on in their own ^&$# back yards.

I'VE OWNED 2 SMALL HOMES IN A LITTLE TOWN IN SD.  THE TOWN IS SO SMALL THAT IT'S NEVER EVEN HAD A BLINKING TRAFFIC LIGHT.  HALF THE BUSINESSES ON CENTER STREET HAVE CLOSED. 

IT'S ABOUT 30 MILES SW OF SIOUX FALLS AND REAL ESTATE PRICES ARE WAY UP.  THIS LITTLE TOWN ALSO PASSED RESTRICTIONS re; AGE AND SIZE OF MOBILE HOMES, AND THERE WEREN'T MANY MHs THERE TO START WITH. 

SO NOW A LADY THERE,  A OLDER WIDOW LIVES ON A PIECE OF PROPERTY  WITH SPOTS FOR 3 OR 4 SMALL MOBILE HOMES OR LARGER TTs OR RVs and SHE HASN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE PROPERTY BECAUSE OF THE RESTRICTIONS.  IF SHE COULD RENT THEM IT WOULD BRING MONEY INTO THE TOWN/COUNTY & I'M SURE SHE COULD USE SOME XTRA $$$$ TOO.

THIS TOWN IS SO SMALL THAT THE MAIN DRAG CONSISTS OF BANK, BAR, POST OFFICE, LIBRARY, MUSEUM, CITY HALL, AND A 2 PUMP GAS STATION & STORE.   THE PEOPLE ARE NICE AND OTHER THAN THE  COLD AND SNOWY WINTERS I LIKE IT THERE.

I THINK MANY SMALL TOWNS HAVE RECIEVED GRANTS FROM VARIOUS SOURCES TO " IMPROVE " THEM.   WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE A GOOD THING AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.  DEPENDS ON THE STRINGS ATTACHED.  SEEMS TO ME AN IMPROVEMENT WOULD BE RETURNING TO SOME OLD SCHOOL VALUES WITH A LITTLE LIVE AND LET LIVE THROWN INTO THE MIX

I'M GETTIN' DOWN OFF OF  MY SOAPBOX NOW.

JEWELLANN

*********************************************************************************************************************

I attended every city and county council meeting until my new work schedule ruled that out.   I raised these concerns regularly and was patted on the head.  I tell you all this because if it happened in my "zero stop lights" town it can happen anywhere.
 It's too bad that closed minds often are not equipped with closed mouths
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                           I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
Someone was telling me a few days ago that there is a possibility that when a church owns a commercial enterprise and it makes a profit those profits may no longer be tax exempt just because it's owned by a church.

I'm not saying it's true however my source stays pretty much on top of things news wise.  As for me the only news I get is what friends & family tell me.

Jewellann
 It's too bad that closed minds often are not equipped with closed mouths
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                           I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
I think if you made it a private members only RV park then at least one person/couple would need to reside there full time, mostly to keep an eye on the place and stop squatters from taking it over. It could be a revolving position where the same person/couple didn't stay there full time every year. I'd still want to know everyone that would be members before I'd invest. Spending a winter next door to a butthead isn't something I'd wanna do.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
I suppose a group of us could always stake out a claim at Slab City. Everyone bring 4 or 5 steel drums we could use as our "fence" each filled with sand. Again, someone would need to stay there year around to ward off squatters but that would be a cheap alternative to buying land so when it collapses all you are out is some steel drums. Every so often I hear about the state wanting to shut Slab City down but so far it's just talk.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
One issue is space (without too many regulations about it), another is the money to get a space, and how to maintain the space.
And options of how to manage this, has already been mentioned in this thread.

But once people gather, and community happens, then there will be a need to deal with people, and all the ideas they tend to get into their heads.

99% of people tend to know how to behave, so everyone else can cope with their presence, but there will always be that 1% who can not.  And they will typically end up ruining it for everyone else.
Or at least it will be quite the headache to find ways to deal with them. 

So some kind of system, of how to deal with behavior issues, personal boundaries, direction of the community, common projects or needs,  and misunderstandings or conflict, and more..., needs to be in place, if one embarks on creating a space for community.  

The most common systems involve creating some kind of hierarchy where decisions can be made (and if need be, also be enforced).

So how to manage all of this, and still keep as free as possible? 
And to do it with the absolute minimum of overhead or administration?
Add Thank You Reply
Since 2010 I have been a very active member of a community who had only one rule, and only ever intended to have only that one rule, and thus it was named: Rule 0 

And is as follows: "Don't act in a way that requires us to create a new rule."

For several years, this worked very well. But eventually someone who claimed to understand, but clearly did not, joined the community, and became that headache that we all, never wanted to deal with.

In the process of finding out, how to maintain the freedom allowed under Rule 0, and still have a very effective, simple and early detection way of reacting to perceived misbehavior, I came across a study (and test) of how to possibly manage entirely peer-to-peer based communities, where there basically are no rules, but only a desire, or even just an outside caused need, to co-exist.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to MrAlvinDude for this post:
GypsySpirit (12-31-2017), frater secessus (12-31-2017)
The study and test has been done by an Englishman (Dominic Barter), and has been implemented and tested in shanty towns in Brasil, over the past 20-25 years, where Dominic has also been a residence, and he himself have been living in the middle of the test.  

Shanty towns, around the world, are very interesting places to study and test systems of how to improve community spirit. As shanty towns are usually without any actual rules or enforcement system.  They are very free.  Also usually free from any level of protection that rules and enforcement systems might otherwise be able to offer.

Or in other words, they are mainly peer-to-peer regulated (or gang-to-gang regulated).

So in a pre-existing space, with a pre-existing kind of "community" in constant disarray and flux, Dominic has been asking:
* What works - to resolve conflict resulting from a specific act - in a peer-to-peer community.

And is it possible to find common ground (or a system, or ways of communication) that will be useful to both individuals, families, gangs and possibly even the outside judicial system of law enforcement and courts etc. when doing something to address a specific ACT, that has impacted one or more individuals enough, that the issue needs to be addressed.

And so far a system, and methods of communication, has been identified and implemented and extensively tested.
And is increasingly finding its way into both shanty town living as well as into law, and otherwise highly organized ways of living and interacting.

As everything is based on the three questions:
- what works, when dealing with the impact of a specific act?
- what does not work, when trying to renew balance or co-existence, after being impacted by that specific act?
- what will we do in the near future, to deal with the impact of the act?

I just think that it might be of interest to anyone wanting to form, establish, or connect to some kind of community, where there would be common resources involved, or where people will be interacting for any extended period of time.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to MrAlvinDude for this post:
frater secessus (12-31-2017), duncanshannon (12-31-2017)
For further insights, try to google "Restorative Circles" or "Dominic Barter".

For now, it might be of interest to look at the following statements:

A Restorative Circle is a community process - for supporting those in conflict.
It brings together the three parties to a conflict
- those who have acted,
- those directly impacted
- and the wider community

All within an intentional systemic context, to dialogue as equals (there is no boss, leader or judge - only a communications facilitator, who have NOT been directly impacted by the act).

- Participants invite each other and attend voluntarily.
- The dialogue process used is shared with all participants, and guided by a community member (the communications facilitator).
- The process ends when actions have been found that bring mutual future benefit.
Add Thank You Reply
I apologize in advance for the multiple posts on this same issue,  but finding ways to (easily and with as few restrictions or overhead or administration as possible) to co-exist in a community of peers, even when there is disagreement or misbehavior, lies  heavily on my mind, and is very dear to my heart.

And here I have found a method (or system), that requires no specific rules, it only requires a willingness to participate in the process of finding solutions, that are mutually beneficial.

And only whenever someone has been impacted deeply enough (by a specific act) that they want to make an issue about it!

And the method has been tested (for decades), and is finding increasing implementation (and success) outside its point of origin.

So I hope you will all have patience with me, for posting so much basically at the same time. 

Did I mention that I like the freedom of Rule 0?
And did I mention that I like a method of finding solutions and resolution, that requires no additional specific rules?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrAlvinDude for this post:
frater secessus (12-31-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying land in Arizona or Nevada tamm 42 9,071 04-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Alcatraz