Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land to make a new truly free place
Hello,
A friend of my bought one acre of land by Elko, NV for $7000. Moved a old 5th wheel on it and set up living their. Someone complained and a code enforcer visited him. He had set up a home made grey water disposal system. The enforcer gave him the choice to disconnect it or replace with an approved septic system. He disconnected and hauls waste away. No more problems living their for 7 years now. I own land their as well and stay on it off and on all summer without any issues. It can be done low key but one dwelling per property. He does have storage trailers and that is OK.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to speedgene for this post:
Netter (01-03-2018)
Quote:THIS MAKES ME WONDER WHERE THE  $$$$$$ ARE COMING FROM...........WHAT DOES YOUR AREA HAVE THAT "SOMEONE " WANTS?  ANY NEW SURVEYING PROJECTS?  A NEW LAWYER OR REAL ESTATE AGENCY SETTING UP SHOP? 

It's a speed trap town, constantly flirting with the Texas "less than 50% of income from traffic violations" law.  We also spent down a bit of reserve cash that had been built up over the years.  LIke yours, there are few businesses, most are boarded up since the 80s-90s.

We did get a grant for a small library/civic center, about 1000sq ft.

Housing developments are starting to appear about 10mi away, which I see as a very bad sign.  I figure someone's brother is in the land speculation bidness. :-(
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
MrAlvinDude Wrote:I apologize in advance for the multiple posts on this same issue,  but finding ways to (easily and with as few restrictions or overhead or administration as possible) to co-exist in a community of peers, even when there is disagreement or misbehavior, lies  heavily on my mind, and is very dear to my heart.

Same here.  

I think of them as "intentional communities", places that are joined with mindfulness and a desire to cooperate.
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
What I find ironic is that, at the core of this forum is to not live like the rest of the world in intentional communities but to live free in your van or rig and follow the weather but eventually the thought of buying land, building a community and having rules always comes up. Why reinvent the wheel? Just go back to a community that has the rules and is already set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
dexstrom (01-02-2018), gsfish (01-01-2018), speedhighway46 (12-31-2017), highdesertranger (12-31-2017)
(12-29-2017, 08:14 AM)Trebor English Wrote: Slab city already exists.

For now, at least. The state of California (which owns the property) could evict everyone at any time.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 09:57 AM)Cammalu Wrote: Just go back to a community that has the rules and is already set up. 

There are entire sections of philosophy dealing with that idea.  Greater minds than ours have struggled mightily with it.  Hobbes, for starters.

When I say say "intentional communities" I don't assume stable townships or buildings or whatever.  In my mind ad hoc gatherings of nomads are intentional communities.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
MrAlvinDude (12-31-2017)
(12-31-2017, 09:57 AM)Cammalu Wrote: What I find ironic is that, at the core of this forum is to not live like the rest of the world in intentional communities but to live free in your van or rig and follow the weather but eventually the thought of buying land, building a community and having rules always comes up.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Just go back to a community that has the rules and is already set up.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cosmos all flow to the path of least resistance. The problem is when a nice place is inhabited and grows, 'big money' will move in and dictate their rules for their and only their well being.

When the early release felon cons (Snitch variety, only! - Dealing with Snitches Guide ) start to move in, then it's time to hit the road. My best friend is a felon con, but he is no snitch - they are mutually exclusive types of people: the 'framed' or just plain 'slime' not even cops (that use snitches) care about. And since land is how many become 'big money', it is something you need to be aware  of anywhere. It is not flipped like a switch, but big money has cycles in years time (say 7 to 21 years) that they condemn and revitalize neighbor hoods that they buy cheap and sell high. This is going on all over USA currently, but it is a risky business even for the rich.

It's an ingrained 'order' with livable places throughout civilization. But I think an 11' garage/home for a tall van that you can lock up tight, sounds cool for a home base in your taxable State. It does not have to be complete, but just in a working state: 11' garage w/ attached bathroom and solar power. I have seen members here do this, even on this same thread. That's Nirvana imo. Buddha would be doing the same thing, and he was really cool, like Bob!
Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
I believe the basic thought on this tread is to purchase land down in the Arizona desert or there abouts. The biggest issue I see with this is what happens when you leave? It is your winter home and you'll only be there maybe 4 or 5 months out of the year. This isn't really a problem if the land remains undeveloped but as soon as you build something then "curiosity" becomes a factor. What I can foresee is coming back to your winter home and someone is on your land. Might involve getting the local po po to make them move. Then there is the vandalism/theft factor. What ever you leave there has a high probability of not being there when you return. Then there is the "oh look, we can dump our trash and tires there since nobody is home" factor. I have teetered back and forth on this idea of having land down there and I've pretty much come to the conclusion of why. Why would I need a permanent home when I'm there on wheels and there are millions of acres I can camp at for free. AND, probably never see the same place twice unless I want. You might have your regular haunts for certain times of the year for gatherings and such but the bulk of your camping will be out on your own or with your small tribe exploring new places. Well me anyway. Save your pennies for a home base someplace besides where you camp. I have my place picked out for a home base and I'll be able to use it most of the time only rolling out when the urge and uncomfortable weather hits. Winters in the desert, summers up north or in the high country and probably spring and fall futzin around the home base doing whatever the mood says I need to do. Now, that said I can also see where folks might want a more permanent place to winter over. Maybe when I get older and moving around every 14 days might become too much for my old bones. RV parks might become too expensive to be a viable option so the thought of owning some land would come into play. I'm pretty much convinced there needs to be someone there year around to prevent the above issues. Maybe investing in an RV park could be possible with your own reserved spot for when you go wintering. Then you can go camp out when the mood strikes and return to your spot to recuperate from the physical activity. Just my own humble opinion on this....
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
Everyone should check out California City, CA. Let me know if anyone has looked into this more than I have. I've done some digging around and there are a lot of advantages to this place. First off it is the 3rd largest city in California by area. Essentially what the deal is that in the 1950s a developer tried to make a planned city to rival LA. It failed. The city never really got developed, with only around 13,000 to 14,000 people living in city limits today. If you look it up on Google Maps from the satellite view you'll see there are a bunch of dirt road streets that are empty. The land is cheap, you can easily buy a couple acres for under $10,000. What is great is that since it is legally a city, it is pretty straightforward to get water, gas, and electric to a property. There are various different zoning categories, but you can just find a piece of land with optimal zoning to fit your needs. As far as I can tell parking RVs with no house on lot is fine on the residentially zoned parcels. Anyway happy New Years to you all.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to moeway for this post:
Netter (01-03-2018)
(12-30-2017, 11:52 PM)RoamingKat Wrote: Most of the communes of the 60s failed because they poisoned themselves....completely ignorant of septic systems and hygiene.

Of those that managed to be self-sustaining...most were owned by one person, or one couple that created legal deeded access or rightofway to "members" who met requirements.  
I know of one that still exist today....they are full-blown enterprise in music and arts

You struck the nail exactly on the head with your obsevationabout septic systems.  I own 10 acres in Wyoming where I spend my summers.  My daughter lives on the property fulltime.  Even though there are zero rules in this county outside incorporated areas the state is VERY strict about drinking wells and septic disposal.  All people located on the property are sized into the septic system design.  For an example a family of four will spend around 10 grand for permits, inspections and construction of said "shit hole".  You could get around the septic issue buy using outhouses, but that can be nasty for a large amount of people.  I would say "septic systems " will be the biggest hurdle to attempting this.  Ask peeps that have had mining claims where they had the most trouble with the government,  most will say waste disposal.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying land in Arizona or Nevada tamm 42 9,078 04-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Alcatraz