Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Fiberglass Van Body?
Are there any known big disadvantages to a van body that's all fiberglass, vs. sheet metal?  I came across this one and I liked the configuration, though it's older than I'd like to eventually purchase.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply
Ask Corvette owners. Ask boat owners. Big Grin
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
One crack and you better have some good putty, or a blowtorch....
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 01:51 PM)Wanderer Wrote: One crack and you better have some good putty, or a blowtorch....

You don't repair a crack in fiberglass with putty and certainly not a blow torch. One thing to watch with older fiberglass is it can get brittle. Repairing fiberglass is pretty straight forward but does take some skill. You would need to terminate the crack by drilling through the ends of the crack. Grind down flaring out then epoxy strips of cloth each larger overlapping the one before. Fill and sand repair will last longer then the van.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Mattkcc for this post:
frater secessus (12-30-2017)
There widebody vans are generally fiberglass. I have never heard an owner complain about them on YT, or complain about the extra living space.
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 10:26 PM)Mattkcc Wrote: You don't repair a crack in fiberglass with putty and certainly not a blow torch. One thing to watch with older fiberglass is it can get brittle. Repairing fiberglass is pretty straight forward but does take some skill. You would need to terminate the crack by drilling through the ends of the crack. Grind down flaring out then epoxy strips of cloth each larger overlapping the one before. Fill and sand repair will last longer then the van.

Shows how much I know of them Smile but then again, I'd never own one.  With sheet metal You only have to worry about the metal edges/spots rusting out and there's a whole slew of proactive methods to stop that.
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Add Thank You Reply
(12-30-2017, 12:24 PM)Wanderer Wrote: Shows how much I know of them Smile but then again, I'd never own one.  With sheet metal You only have to worry about the metal edges/spots rusting out and there's a whole slew of proactive methods to stop that.

I suppose that depends where you live.  Here in SW Ontario, Canada, there is so much salt used on the roads in the winter that rust is the main cause of vehicle retirement.  You're lucky if you get 7 years out of a vehicle before noticeable rust is forming, and 10-12 before it's scrap.  My current vehicle is a 2004, and it's a good thing it's a truck with a separate frame.  Otherwise it wouldn't be structurally sound enough to be fit for the road.
What doesn't kill me makes me smarter
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This vinyl trim piece where fiberglass top meets van body.... doing away with it? TMG51 4 977 05-18-2016, 03:38 AM
Last Post: flying kurbmaster
  Full fiberglass body on a standard van. One Awesome Inch 13 4,382 01-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Mobilesport