Willin’ to be movin’
Howdy, new guy here who has been binge reading nomad sites and watching wandeelust related vids for the last month.

This February I am fixin’ leave my island home where I have lived for the past decade to pursue a simpler, less costly and more nomadic way of life.

Since I am no stranger to travel, staying in “alternative” housing and living within my means, the rubbertramping life looks very attractive and doable.

Also, the van or skoolie lifestyle will allow me to retain a few creature comforts while still providing a somewhat anchor free nomadic lifestyle.

My plan when I return back to the mainland is to start searching school districts, auctions, Craigslist and eBay for a convertable 4 wheeled vehicle and possibly a cargo trailer.

The biggest challenge I forsee is how to bring one of my two motorcycles along with me while I am on the move during the winter months.

A place to park and work on the conversion is already sorted and I have access to several brilliant minds with skilled hands.

Although I am no slouch when it comes to working with tools and building things, I definitely spend more time in the right side of my brain.

Creativity is how I make my bread and butter and how will be financing my life on the road (along with whatever odd jobs I can find.)

My plan for 2018 also incudes posting progress and travel vids on my Youtube channel and maybe some light blogging on my website.

Thanks for reading this wordy first post and for all the valuable info passed along. I am looking forward to learning more and getting to know some of ya!
Live Wild • Play Loud • Fly Free
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Chongolio for this post:
dawnann7 (01-04-2018)
Howdy and welcome! It sounds like you have a good plan! Smile As far as your motorcycle goes- I've seen folks attach scooters/small bikes to the back of the rigs on a mount... not sure if that is feasible for your model.
Add Thank You Reply
Welcome to the CRVL forums Chongolio! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Add Thank You Reply
A toy hauler would be the place to start thinking. I've seen a few people carry smaller bikes, dirt or dual sport, on the front. It will take a strong mount, like for a snowplow. Isolating oil and gas from my sleeping space would be a must for me. Bob has a newer video on a 4x4 Izuzu conversion that has one solution to that question.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 01:10 PM)AdventurousAdriana Wrote: Howdy and welcome!  It sounds like you have a good plan! Smile  As far as your motorcycle goes-  I've seen folks attach scooters/small bikes to the back of the rigs on a mount... not sure if that is feasible for your model.

Thanks for the hello. I have seen that done on both fronts and on the “back porch” of folks rigs. Personally, I would rather not have either of my babies on the outside where they will get pelted with rocks or on the back where things tend to get dirty.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 01:22 PM)rvwandering Wrote: Welcome to the CRVL forums Chongolio!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks, I have been poking around and taking plenty of notes!
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 02:50 PM)DLTooley Wrote: A toy hauler would be the place to start thinking.  I've seen a few people carry smaller bikes, dirt or dual sport, on the front. It will take a strong mount, like for a snowplow.  Isolating oil and gas from my sleeping space would be a must for me.  Bob has a newer video on a 4x4 Izuzu conversion that has one solution to that question.

I am leaning toward a van and cargo trailer combo but gave not ruled out a bus with a lift.
Not really interested in having my bikes outside and vulnerable to road debris and what not.

Gas and oil in my bed room are not really an issue for me since I am covered in it on any given day.

I will look for the Izuzu vid but not sure I really want or need a 4x4 rig
Add Thank You Reply
Welcome! Dig the logo, dude! Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(12-29-2017, 09:57 PM)Chongolio Wrote: I am leaning toward a van and cargo trailer combo but gave not ruled out a bus with a lift.
Not really interested in having my bikes outside and vulnerable to road debris and what not.

Gas and oil in my bed room are not really an issue for me since I am covered in it on any given day.

I will look for the Izuzu vid but not sure I really want or need a 4x4 rig

A cargo trailer is pretty simple.  I hadn't thought of the handicap lift, good idea for a smaller bike.  There are issues with Skoolies, probably less for the smaller options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RunEk5YznH8&t=8s
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DLTooley for this post:
Chongolio (12-31-2017)
Thanks for sharing that vid! She hits every point that makes me rethink a mid or full size bus. Especially the DMV and insurance bits. I am trying to deal less with government bureaucracy not invite it into my home.

I am still researching if short and cutaway busses have the same issues or dodge them since most are on a van chassis ( to my understanding. )

My bikes are a Harley Dyna and a Yamaha SR400 neither of which are behemoths. My concerns with a lift is more moving parts to maintain as well as added weight.

When all my options start to become overwhelming, I return back to the K.I.S.S mantra, which is why a cargo van and trailer really stand out as an ideal arrangement for my needs.
Add Thank You Reply