Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about heating with diesel.
As I ponder my next vehicle home, I would like to use diesel to replace propane in all appliances.

1. I'm certain I've seen diesel wall-mount heaters for RV or marine use, but now I'm having trouble finding them. Any pointers?
2. Am I correct to assume that a diesel heater will produce moisture, just like burning propane does?
3. Are there diesel water heaters available? (When I search for this, I get results for water heaters for the engine, not an RV appliance.)

I see plenty of diesel forced air furnaces available, but that's not what I want. I never use the propane furnace I have now because of the battery draw. Instead I use my catalytic heater or stove top.

I have a tentative idea in my head to use a diesel water heater and tubing throughout the floor for radiant heating. It would require a small pump to circulate hot water. I'm not certain how well it would work, and I would want a wall mount heater for more immediate heat output regardless, but, I kinda want to try it. I think this could be a good source of even heating, and potentially without excess moisture if the water heater is vented. That's if a diesel water heater is an option, of course.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Here's one.
http://dickinsonmarine.com/

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Ray (01-14-2018), TMG51 (12-31-2017)
(12-31-2017, 03:15 PM)gsfish Wrote: Here's one.
http://dickinsonmarine.com/

Guy

Neat!

Expensive, but may be the best solution. I notice also it says "dry heat" and will dry out a cabin. I wonder, is this because of how it is vented, or does burning diesel not produce moisture the way other combustible fuels do?
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 03:08 PM)TMG51 Wrote: 2. Am I correct to assume that a diesel heater will produce moisture, just like burning propane does?

No because all diesel heaters intended for living space are vented. You do not want to breathe concentrated direct fumes from diesel combustion, in a small space. Diesel that we buy for land vehicles has some additives that cause the fumes to be even more unsafe for inhaling. 

But besides that, the diesel heaters I see for small boats all have a minimum output of 6500 BTU...which is just too much for a constant flow of heat in a van or small to mid size RV, unless you are boondocking in the great white north. 
Of course a diesel furnace could have a higher output since it will be cycled on and off to maintain the set temperature, but yes, it will use DC battery power. 

And repeating my statements in other threads, if you heat with motor fuels, you pay highway-use motor fuel taxes to heat your living space with. I hate that.

Now if you want to keep a supply of Jet-A, farm diesel, marine diesel, kerosene or home heating oil to run that diesel heater with, now we can get on the same page. 

And yes, some states DO offer refunds for motor fuel tax when the fuel is used for other purposes, but what a pain that can be for personal use.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
TMG51 (12-31-2017)
As always keep an eye on eBay and CL. Check out marine consignment shops too.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 03:47 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: But besides that, the diesel heaters I see for small boats all have a minimum output of 6500 BTU...which is just too much for a constant flow of heat in a van or small to mid size RV, unless you are boondocking in the great white north. 
Of course a diesel furnace could have a higher output since it will be cycled on and off to maintain the set temperature, but yes, it will use DC battery power. 

And repeating my statements in other threads, if you heat with motor fuels, you pay highway-use motor fuel taxes to heat your living space with. I hate that.

Now if you want to keep a supply of Jet-A, farm diesel, marine diesel, kerosene or home heating oil to run that diesel heater with, now we can get on the same page. 

And yes, some states DO offer refunds for motor fuel used for other purposes, but what a pain that can be for personal use.

I'm intending to build something that will give me the option of staying in the cold northeast, if I choose.

I'm not especially concerned about the cost of fuel. Moreso, that I would have many gallons of it on hand in the vehicle's fuel tank. Although, now that I say that, I wonder if these heaters are designed to pull from a separate tank or be topped off in their own reservoir... hmmm... I do believe diesel induction stove tops are designed to be plumbed up to a tank.
Add Thank You Reply
Webasto or Espar units

https://www.webasto.com/au/markets-produ...s/air-top/

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/products...arine.html
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
TMG51 (12-31-2017)
(12-31-2017, 04:17 PM)Motrukdriver Wrote: Webasto or Espar units

https://www.webasto.com/au/markets-produ...s/air-top/

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/products...arine.html

Hm.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, these units install in the engine bay, and deliver heat through the cab air vents, as well as pre-heat the engine to negate cold start.

Interesting. That might be an ideal solution, except that it incurs battery power consumption. Still an interesting option regardless.
Add Thank You Reply
I had a Fab-All diesel heater in my sailboat. This is similar to the Dickinson model here:

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/newpo...el-heater/

It would work well in an RV. It might be more heat than needed in a van. Some other names to search on are SigMar, Refleks, Fab-All. I got mine used off of ebay for less than half the new price. They are vented, and I set up an outside air intake so it would burn better in heavy wind.

You will want the smallest one you can get. They have cookstoves as well but they are expensive.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to skyl4rk for this post:
TMG51 (12-31-2017)
(12-31-2017, 04:36 PM)TMG51 Wrote: Hm.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, these units install in the engine bay, and deliver heat through the cab air vents, as well as pre-heat the engine to negate cold start.

Interesting. That might be an ideal solution, except that it incurs battery power consumption. Still an interesting option regardless.

There are air-blower only units, mount anywhere, ideall outside the living space.

As well as the coolant/block heater ones, can also make hot water, radiators / exchangers in multiple locations "hydronic" setups.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
TMG51 (01-01-2018)